Back-up Bows

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Back-up Bows

Curious who all has a backup bow? I am eyeballing upgrading bows next year from my Creed. Initial thought was to sell the Creed to help fund the next bow, but I have seen it mentioned several times here of folks having a back up. Seems like a good concept, but in my 20 years of bowhunting only once did I have a situation where I could have utilized a back up bow. Then again, the back up bow helps quell the sad thoughts of selling the Creed. I have killed a pile of animals with that thing

I bought a VXR this summer and kept my Halon32 for my elk hunt to bring both (just in case). I am going to keep the VXR and will sell Halon soon. Not hurting anything in the case but it is nice to have 2 when you are way up in the mountains and nowhere near a bowshop etc. If you don't need the money, might as well keep the Creed. If you are just bowhunting Bastrop Co and can be at a bowshop within 30 minutes, not as important. If you are going to start going on more elk hunts or things where it isn't as easy to get a quick fix, might be a good idea to hang onto it.

Comment

Right now my backup bow is from 1992, but I'm leaning towards a new bow at the end of the year. And my current bow will be my backup.

I'll try and find someone that wants to get into bow hunting and give the Darton excel away.

Comment

I don’t do back up bows after doing them for years and never picking them up..

Comment

Knock on wood, but never needed one in trips to NZ, Africa and other states!

Comment

I've always kept a back up bow and taken it when possible for hunts. One year I was out in the middle of nowhere with the closest bow shop 4 hours away. Shooting off the ground I had a small limb roll into my cam when I released and my string came off the bow. I was done hunting at that point and still had another 1.5 days to go on a bow only hunt. Sucked. Granted I've never had to use it for that reason since. I do use it now for my 3D shooting bow. It's set up to shoot lighter arrows. That way I don't have switch things around on my main bow. Lots of things can happen - bow get's damaged, stolen, etc... that can ruin part of a bow season. Always good you can have something to fall back on quickly if need be.

Comment

[ATTACH]1067657[/ATTACH]

Comment

I don't travel much like some of these world travelers. Just to and from my deer/pig leases and places I get invites too. A backup bow is just too much of a PITA to deal with and it takes up valuable room on the way to such places. If I don't take it with me, its not very useful so I don't do it. If my bow fails (hasn't in 16 years since getting back in), I'd fix it or just play camp *****..

Way back when, I once had to leave my bow at home since I had killed my trophy, and one of my leasemates insisted he take his backup bow with us even though we didn't have the room for 4 bows. Three of us were carpooling in his truck (his turn) and at the time I really need to split expenses. To stop the pissing match, I said, since I have killed my trophy, I guess I'll leave my bow here at home and play camp ***** so you can take both of yours. He said that's a great idea and that was that...well until we got to the lease and the word spread lol. That wouldn't happen again and hasn't after the razzing he took. He caught me on a good day.... That's another reason I'm not a fan of backup bows.

On the flipside, for what I sold my Elite Pulse for, I should have just kept it for a backup and hung it in my closet.. Glad the buyer is getting some good use out of it though.
                Last edited by Smart; 10-25-2021, 09:55 AM.

Comment

I used to have one but never touched it. Haven't had one for over 5 years now.

Thinking of upgrading bows this year and was considering keeping my other bow for a few months. I have an out of state archery only season hunt planned and could take it with me as a backup then sell it when I return.

Outside of bow season, my backup is a rifle. I like hunting and will use whatever weapon I have available. So if I don't have a bow available, I'll shoot hogs with my AR.

I do keep a backup set of strings and cables, have a bow press, and only hunt 75 miles from home. If needed I can fix most problems pretty quickly.

Comment

I don’t have a back up bow. I did have a bow string come off the rails on me once while hunting. I drove two hours to San Angelo and bought another one. I figured that’s always an option. It’s not worth hauling two bows around every time I hunt.

Comment

I went hunting with a guy that leaned his bow against the side of his truck and then later decided to move his truck and ran over the bow and bent the riser, luckily he had a back up. Also on another hunt a friend cut his string with a broadhead and had to lose an afternoon hunt to drive to a bow shop an hour away to get a new string.

Comment

No backup for my compound. I do have 4 trad bows but i consider that collecting, not a backup per se.

Comment

Yeah, I keep 2 mid-range PSE bows vs an alpha bow from any manufacturer. Mainly because most years I hunt out of state (this year is an exception, I had to turn my tag in due to family illness). I have been know to cache one of my weapons (bow or gun) just in case my truck was to get broken into. It has not happened to me but I have known people it has happened to in the states closest to us. For me it is prudent when I consider the total expense in time and money I put into my trips.

Comment

u shouldnt consider it a backup bow so much as u should bow#1 and #2....
                            if you are like most of us you most likely dont have gun and backup gun. A prepper once told me "one is none and 2 is 1"....i have more than 1 pistol, rifle, shotgun, and bow.
                            Granted they are in different calibers and or gauges. but nonetheless

Comment

I have a vxr as my primary and a no cam as my back up.

Comment

Working...
                              X