I made something cool

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I made something cool

Hell yeah! My railroad spike chipping hammer came out awesome! I’d posted a pic back when my son and I had made the handle, and with the summer heat and everything else we got going on, it took a while to get back to it. This was made entirely with our oxy acetylene torch, a vise, and some colorful language. I will say I shoulda just fired up the forge to do the twist on the spike, but we were on a roll and having fun with the torch. I think for the final touches I’m gonna let the boy braze some bronze in the weave of the handle for a little blacksmith bling. Might also go back and put a little bit of a hatchet handle curve in it, but I’ll see how it drives and chips first. Balances well and makes a mighty bang when you smack the workbench with it!

This is my hammer, and it is cool...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Is pretty cool. Hows it work as a chipping hammer?

Comment

Originally posted by Calrob View Post
      Is pretty cool. Hows it work as a chipping hammer?
      I need to sharpen the chipping side flat edge just a bit but it already does pretty good knocking slag off

Comment

A railroad spike makes a pretty good chipping hammer made many of them over the years none as fancy as yours though good job

Comment

That is kick azz!! Most folks wont appreciate the time and effort it took to do that with just a torch and "colorful language". Yall did good !!!

Comment

Well done! It looks terrific!
            Just wanted to know, how good is the grip on that?

Comment

I made something cool

Originally posted by jeffrey_sh View Post
              Well done! It looks terrific!
              Just wanted to know, how good is the grip on that?

Thanks! The grip is comfortable, and good enough to hit whatever needs to be hit as hard as you want to hit it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Interesting project, good job!

Now I know another thing I can make with a rail spike. I have a 5gal bucket full of new ones.

Comment

Thats pretty cool

Comment

Bad@ss!

Comment

Nice! Where it wraps around the spike, it looks kinda like a set of fingers in the pic. Just needs a thumb. Or did the thumb get mashed off?

Reminded me: I once worked for a construction company on a project in Brownwood. One of my older more experienced coworkers had a missing thumb. Turns out his partner smashed it off with a sledge while driving metal stakes in the ground few years before. They were best of buds afterwards too. That man could dip some Skoal too. He'd have a whole roll in the morning. And would put a full can in each side between breaks (8 cans for the day). Needless to say, he didn't talk much, except during break.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Pretty cool. Gives me an idea on what to use my railroad spikes for

Comment

tag for the followup...

Comment

Working...
                            X