Flys in Restaurants - Is it just me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flys in Restaurants - Is it just me?

Just curious if it's me they're attracted to or does everyone notice it? lol. We made a trip to Houston for shopping and trying to find all y'alls leftovers at Academy on Saturday and decided on a late lunch, early dinner about 4pm at Liberty Kitchen at the Treehouse, west side of Houston off I10. First time there but been to the Heights location many times. Anyway, a couple of drinks, some deviled eggs, and our entrees. I noticed a gnat or fruit fly flitting about above our food and it just irked me.

This has happened at some nice places that you would think should not be having these issues. I guess I seem to notice it but I don't think I should be having flies flitting about while I am eating, or even in the place? I get it if you would be eating outside, a BBQ, fish fry or crawfish boil but not in a sit down spot.

It is slowly becoming my pet peeve, especially the more the meal cost. Has anyone else noticed? If so, do you complain?

I've learned to live with it in Houston. Drives me nuts in my home still, we keep everything clean, and take out garbage religiously. There's always a few that just never seem to leave. So in a business centered around food, I guess it makes sense for it to occur.

Comment

We occasionally have them at home, probably come in on produce from the grocery store. We also seem to have a "fly season" here in Austin that last a month or two where there always seems to be a house fly or 3 buzzing around. Our home is kept very clean, never a dish left in the sink overnight, no food left out, counters wiped, lid on trash can, etc....yet we still get the occasional fly or gnat.

I can't see holding a restaurant to a higher standard than I am able to maintain in my own clean home.

Comment

Roaches are far cleaner than flies. If flies are problematic in a restaurant, I leave. Been in the pest management industry for 30 plus years.

Comment

Last year the fly's were bad. Kept the vacuum cleaner at the french door and sucked them up......

Comment

I spent a few weeks in Western Australia in the summer time. I will never complain about flies here again.

Comment

bug-a-salt rifle is endless fun

Comment

Just cut a hole in the seat of your pants and the flies won't be up around your face.

Comment

Originally posted by tmurray View Post
                  bug-a-salt rifle is endless fun
                  Yes, but you have to be careful. The people at the next table might be on a low sodium diet.
                  I just go out to my truck and get my electric flyswatter.

Sent from my LG-K550 using Tapatalk

Comment

I second the bug-a-salt rifle

Comment

As a restaurant operator I can tell you they are sometimes impossible to totally wipe out. Last summer was the worst mainly due to them coming in on potatoes. We only saw a few here and there but no matter how hard we tried they didn’t completely disappear until winter arrived. Sometimes what you see at restaurants/bars are drain flies and that is a cleaning issue for sure. They are both tiny flies so hard to tell the difference.

Comment

I quit going to Cheddars here by the house because of them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bort View Post
                          I second the bug-a-salt rifle
                          Ill 3rd the bug-a-salt santa brought me one this year.

Comment

15 degrees here with 30 inches of snow right now. Haven't had a fly problem for a couple months!

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                              Just cut a hole in the seat of your pants and the flies won't be up around your face.
                              I don't know what today's prize is, but you just won it.

Comment

Working...
                              X