Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many of you/your kids show livestock?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How many of you/your kids show livestock?

My son is nine and this was his first year showing lambs. I showed lambs when I was in school and may be living vicariously through him but we are having fun. Missed out on joining 4-H this year but he is in junior FFA. OUr County show is the 2nd week of Jan. Been to 10 shows this season and have had 12 Breed Champions or Reserve Breed CHampions. What are you showing this year?

We show sheep and goats. Will have county Jan. 10 weekend then off to the majors. Got one in 7th grade and 4th grade showing. They and their mother spent all evening at the pens working their stuff while little brother and I sat in deer blind. We will make Kerrville and San Antonio this year that is it...no Fort Worth, Houston, San Angelo or Austin. Taking a break if you can really call it that with oldest in junior high!!

Comment

My girls have lambs and a steer. 4H is a good experiance for them.

Comment

Showed hogs for 9 years and loved every minute of it!!!! Wish I could still do it!!!

Comment

My baby girl is not old enough yet but see will be in a few more years. She will be given the same oppertunity that myself and my sister were. I rodeoed and showed calves from the time I was 10. I started with a roping horse and a few steers. When it was all said and done and I finished college, I still had a roping horse and 35 head of registered Brahman that had all been showed at some point. I plan on giving her that same oppertunity. I think it makes for a very strong person and taught me alot about responsibility and respect. Cant wait for her to make her decisions on what she wants to do.

Comment

Opb hogs and a brangus heifer.

Comment

Showed lambs from 3rd grade till I graduated. Helped me learn a ton and also paid for college. Would highly recommend it.

Comment

My 9yo shows broilers. I showed broilers when I was growing up. Last year was his first year and he was 5th in the county. He'll show broilers again this year, but wants to show a hog next year. Very good for teaching them responsibility.

Comment

My wife is an Ag teacher in Burnet so every Jan. she is gone more than at home. I am sure my little girl will show. As mentioned before 4-H & FFA are great for kids to learn responsobility.

Comment

I never showed in High School. Too busy with other things like football. My sister showed rabbits, and now the people I work for are big in the show circuit. From January until the end of March they are usually gone alot to different shows.

Comment

I showed hogs and calves growing up through 4-H and the FFA.......I want my kids to do the smae thing...........Well at least they can show what ever they want.....

Comment

I showed hogs for 10 years with my sister being 2 years older than me so all together it was a family project for 12 years total. My dad was, lets see how should i say this, CRAZY about it lol. between the 2 of us we started every year with around 20 to 25 hogs. We won our county show 4 times and had reserve 7 times. It was one of the greatest things i have done and i wouldnt ever take those years back. It was alot of work and responsability but i tought me so many great things. I would recommend 4H to anyone. It is a great experiance and really makes you work together as a team (family).

Comment

I showed hogs and calves, my son is 6.......just a few more years!!

Comment

We show pigs.

Comment

I showed sheep when I was verry young for a couple of years then switched to pigs. I loved being in ffa. I met many life long friends there. When I went to college I couldn't believe how many people I already knew due to FFA. My nephews now show pigs. I am disappointed though in how the cost of showing any animal has increased to the point of making it difficult for some kids to participate and compete. Although its good for young people to realize that not everything in life is fair and equal and you have to accept it and go on. I really do think some parents are doing their kids a disservice by buying them into winning.

Comment

Working...
                              X