even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally

Comment

Yep, it was a short walk from the outhouse to the penthouse

Comment

Originally posted by CADDOKILLER View Post
        even a blind squirrel finds a nut occasionally

speaking from experience?....

Comment

There is a reason no reliable source uses this "stat". What are his numbers on LOT ( leader of team)? You below make my point once again. You cant look at 80 games out of over a 1000 and say he should sit. Either be for who the Rangers are or step off the wagon you rode in on....

Originally posted by Mark44 View Post
          One day's performance doesn't mean much in baseball. Daas Braden threw a perfect game once - does that make him the next Nolan Ryan? No, and what he did before that one game and since proves it.

The very fact that someone had to start this thread says something for how his production has fallen off.

MY is in the bottom five FOR ALL THE PLAYERS in the league for WAR (wins above replacement) at MINUS 2.3.

Check out the latest Stats, Height, Weight, Position, Rookie Status & More of Michael Young. Get info about his position, age, height, weight, draft status, bats, throws, school and more on Baseball-reference.com

That's just stunning. Negative 2.3?! He is costing us wins! That he continues in the line up is simply incredible. He's hurting the Rangers, and today's performance doesn't change the damage he has been doing and will probably resume doing tomorrow.

Comment

I'm glad to see he had a good game!

Comment

Originally posted by bigbad243 View Post
              There is a reason no reliable source uses this "stat". What are his numbers on LOT ( leader of team)? You below make my point once again. You cant look at 80 games out of over a 1000 and say he should sit. Either be for who the Rangers are or step off the wagon you rode in on....
              i know you think you are a baseball god, but come on. Ted Williams once hit 400 should we go unfreeze his head and see if he gets a hit. MY is having a bad season. i don't care what he did last year. he is not getting it done this year. wow he had a good game does that make up for all the 1 pitch ground outs he has this year. no. nobody is saying cut him from the team. When Oswalt was having bad starts did you want to keep him?

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
                i know you think you are a baseball god, but come on. Ted Williams once hit 400 should we go unfreeze his head and see if he gets a hit. MY is having a bad season. i don't care what he did last year. he is not getting it done this year. wow he had a good game does that make up for all the 1 pitch ground outs he has this year. no. nobody is saying cut him from the team. When Oswalt was having bad starts did you want to keep him?

When Yu and Holland were getting killed, I wanted to keep them based on past performance...

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                  When Yu and Holland were getting killed, I wanted to keep them based on past performance...
                  they are also young talents with no question of losing a step.

Comment

Originally posted by quackerback View Post
                    they are also young talents with no question of losing a step.

I have a feeling Young is going to come alive and have all the folks that are ready to send him out to pasture because of some ridiculous"costing us games" stat somebody dreamed up eating a bunch of crow...

I'll be sitting there with Slap Your Momma or Ragin' Blaze for the experts. Which do you prefer so I can have it on hand?...
                    Last edited by Smart; 08-19-2012, 06:19 PM.

Comment

462 AB's is not enough "confirmation" for me to pronounce MY washed up. Give him 'till next summer and then re-examine the situation.

Comment

i dont know if he is washed up or not, but i do know he has not helped the team as much as previously. for what ever reason Wash will not give him a break like he does other guys. i hope he can start lighting it up again. it makes the Rangers a better team if he is hitting, not just playing.

Comment

There is a reason no reliable source uses this "stat".
                          No one uses WAR?

Comment

Originally posted by Mark44 View Post
                            No one uses WAR?
                            Source it.

Comment

Source it.
                              glad you asked! WAR is a standard stat among seamheads. Evan Grant (Dallas Morning News) writes "WAR’s complicated formula has become a go-to tool for many fans and executives craving some kind of total-worth index."

WAR is one of the first stats that will be put on the table in any kind of baseball discussion that tries to quantify a player's performance with stats rather than what he did in one game or what he's done over the course of his career.

WAR is such an industry standard that Wash was asked about it and acknowledged he doesn't use it - but he didn't ask "what's WAR?" he knows - it's standard stuff in baseball.

where is Michael Young with WAR? Evan Grant's article (that has a nice little note about WAR that I quoted above) shows he is DEAD LAST in WAR: "Rangers INF Michael Young began Tuesday tied for last among 144 major league qualifiers in the advanced statistical index of Wins Above Replacement (WAR), which tries to gauge a players overall contribution and his value."

Are stats perfect? Of course not. Is it a good idea to DH a guy who is dead last in one of the "go to" gauges of overall player performance? Um, probably not.

Read more of Evan's article here (it's where Wash says he doesn't care about WAR):

Learn more about WAR here:

Again - advanced stats (or even useless stats, like RBIs) don't show everything. But Michael Young is just horrible this year. The numbers don't lie. When your WAR is NEGATIVE you are hurting the team.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                                Where is Cable?... Michael Young is done right?... Lol
                                WOW- 4 HR in 450 at bats. Congrats to Mike Young. One home run in 88 games and you guys throw a hall of fame induction party for him.

Like I said all along- I hope he succeeds because we are better if he is the hitter he always has been. But baseball is a game of statistics and statistically he is terrible- one of the worst hitters in the game.

Keep on living in the past people - it was one freakin game. I am happy for him and hope it continues. But 4 HR and 50 RBI in 450 AB? Please.

And whoever is on the Soto bandwagon? Get your head out of the sand. The guy hasn't been able to hack his way outta a paper sack. That was his first 3 hit game since September...OF 2009!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X