oil filter stuck like chuck! help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 312InchMagnum View Post
    That tool that guy made is awesome. Exactly what I need.

Leather belt sounds like a great idea but not enough filter left. I did it in good.

Didn't realize this was gonna be so popular. will try again after church tomorrow.
    Say an extra prayer.

Comment

If you have a while before you can get to work on it with the right tools spray it down with a 50/50 mix of acetone and atf. It works pretty good as a super penetrant.

Comment

Originally posted by 312InchMagnum View Post
        Didn't realize this was gonna be so popular. will try again after church tomorrow.
        Many of us have traveled the same road. Compressed air is your friend.

Comment

Like I said that heavy bracket/flange on the left in your photo is gonna give you problems.That tool the guy made might not work.Twer me I'd cut away the rest of that sheet metal filter remnants(it looks dangerous and could slice your hand open!), then maybe use a dremel tool to cut a slot as close to the perimeter of whats left of the filter,then use a big flathead screwdriver and hammer,tapping it counter clockwise. Be patient and persistant and it will start turning.Hosing it down with Liquid Wrench a few hours in advance wouldn't hurt either.

Comment

Had the same problem on my F-150's initial oil change. Filter was put on way too tight at the factory. Shredded the filter, and tried every tool and trick I could find. Ended up calling Ford. They sent a wrecker to the house towed it to the dealership and fixed it. No cost to me. If the filter was put on at the EZ Go factory, I would call their customer service dept.

Comment

Originally posted by Bigfootwolff View Post
              Had the same problem on my F-150's initial oil change. Filter was put on way too tight at the factory. Shredded the filter, and tried every tool and trick I could find. Ended up calling Ford. They sent a wrecker to the house towed it to the dealership and fixed it. No cost to me. If the filter was put on at the EZ Go factory, I would call their customer service dept.
              Did they take your man card away? JK.

Comment

I had that happen to me once. After destroying the filter body, I took a pair of needle nose pliers and inserted the tips into the holes on the filter flange. I used a screwdriver as a lever between the jaws of the pliers. That gave me enough leverage to unscrew it. Good luck!

Comment

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                    I had that happen to me once. After destroying the filter body, I took a pair of needle nose pliers and inserted the tips into the holes on the filter flange. I used a screwdriver as a lever between the jaws of the pliers. That gave me enough leverage to unscrew it. Good luck!
                    I got to that point with my 01 RAM on a filter that ripped apart. It didn't work and a friend who's overtired mechanic came over.

He took a metal pipe the same diameter as the holes and a grinder cutting slots to make what looked like a crown with a "point" for each hole. He drilled a hole to put a bar through it for leverage.

Comment

I so wish you were closer. We could just build you a tool that would take it off.

Comment

I wonder if this tool's "prongs" are for sticking into the little holes? Kinda pricey but maybe you could rent one. http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item....re&dir=catalog

Comment

Thats gotta suck .....hope everything works out

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                            You sir are a genious!...couldnt wait to get up this morning to get cranking at it again...this worked like a charm...i think letting penetrating oil soak over night helped as well...

another problem solved redneck style on TBH thanks guys!

Comment

Good deal!

Comment

Quote:
                                Originally Posted by scotty

That's exactly what I was going to recommend it works great!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X