Image sharpness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Image sharpness

Can someone tell my why my images are so soft and grainy? Is it sharpness / noise issue or a focus issue?

Camera is a 60D. Lens is a 300mm f4 IS L.
    EXIF
    1/400
    f5
    ISO 400
    Aperture Prior
    pattern metering

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7331_resize1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	639.6 KB
ID:	25231532

Name:	IMG_7331_resize2.jpg
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	25231533

Name:	IMG_7343_resize.jpg
Size:	555.1 KB
ID:	25231534

Name:	IMG_7343_crop_resize.jpg
Size:	485.5 KB
ID:	25231535

Where is your focal point for each of the pics?

Comment

Can you post the RAW histogram?

Comment

Try shutter priority @ 250, ISO as low as possible

Comment

Film brand can

Comment

Are you shooting raw or jpg? Any way you could bump down your ISO?

Edit:

Looking around a bit it sounds like some others are having similar issues with the 300m F4:
            Last edited by stxhunter; 11-19-2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Doesn't look like a front or back focus issue. Maybe just a soft lens? Do you use a lens shade with that lens, and most importantly, is this hand held? Any combo of these can cause a soft focus issue. A monopod or tripod makes a huge difference. Set up a stationary test and try a few different combinations and see what happens. Might try bumping ISO to 800?

Comment

For focusing I use the center point. Is that the problem?
                These pictures were taken off the window of the blind.
                Shooting jpeg

Comment

Image sharpness

Originally posted by Sika View Post
                  For focusing I use the center point. Is that the problem?
                  These pictures were taken off the window of the blind.
                  Shooting jpeg
                  I'm not too familiar with the 60D, but do you have the ability to see the AF point on the back of your camera? I know I can do that on my R6.

ISO 400 isn't all that high IMHO, but since your’re shooting JPG do you have noise reduction turned on?

Are you using lightroom for post processing? If so have you turned on lens correction and tried noise reduction?

There's another software made by topaz labs that's using AI for photo corrections. Looks like they'll be having some black Friday specials.

Here’s a snapshot of the back showing the focus point
                  Last edited by stxhunter; 11-19-2020, 12:24 PM.

Comment

JPEG photos usually suck...especially if you are doing any post processing with them.

I'm not too familiar with that lens but I can't imagine its a soft lens, other settings look good for the scene you are shooting.

Try maxing out the JPEG file size if you really want to shoot JPEG, also try shooting in RAW and see what happens.

Comment

If the camera can do it, there might be a setting that will let you shoot both JPEG and RAW simultaneously. If so, you can do a comparison and see if there is some softness being introduced by the conversion of the file to JPEG in camera. The RAW files will look terrible until they are processed in lightroom, but there is so much more data available to tweak whenever you start from RAW in camera and then process.

Comment

I had that lens before, it's a sharp lens. The ISO isn't a factor IMO, it'll contribute to a noise image but provide the settings are right for a proper exposure it shouldn't be an issue. The shutter speed being 1/400 is a little slow IMO for a jumping deer. To freeze motion I like to be up around 1/1000 min.

If you're resting the lens on the edge of the blind, that's not going to be as stable as a tripod - did you have IS turned on?

I've got a Tripod with a Wimberly Classic gimbal for sale (I think it's in the classifieds) if you need one. Another option is use a sandbag to rest the lens on over the window ledge. Try with IS on and with it off and bump your shutter speed to 1/1000 and see how it goes.
                        Last edited by chongo; 11-19-2020, 03:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks...will try faster shutter, more stable rest, and high quality jpeg + raw

Comment

I would suspect jpeg in camera is the main culprit. Shoot RAW and use Lr or some other good processing software to process and convert to jpeg.

Also use AI SERVO auto focus mode for moving subjects. That will allow the camera to track the moving deer and keep focus on it during the whole shot process. Center point focus is the best/most sensitive point. It can be a challenge to keep the center dot on a running/jumping animal. I'm not familiar with 60D specifics, but it probably has an option for a multi-point auto focus that uses a group of points around and including the center point. That can help with moving subjects.

Low ISO is best, but you need at least 1/250 shutter speed on moving subjects. So in low light, you have to bump ISO higher to keep shutter speeds up. 1/1000 or faster is ideal for running/jumping critters. Gotta have bright daylight for that if you want low ISO too though. It's a tough trade off. f/2.8 helps a lot, but $$$$….

Comment

That f4 is a great lens, but you might try getting further away from wide open as that is where it will perform best.

Comment

Working...
                              X