Does a VRBO bring in revenue?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wife and I are looking to invest in real estate and have considered purchasing a vacation type home to rent out via VRBO. Anyone have experience with this? We’re curious if it breaks even, brings in revenue, or possibly costs the owner with the benefit of land appraisal increasing over time and the use of the property when not rented out.

All about location vs overall costs. I have seen several in galveston area do well. If its a 2nd home that you will utilize at times, makes it even better. Goal is not short term income but focus on putting $ up for repairs/upkeep and paying note off asap.

Comment

My next door neighbor brings in nearly 50k a month on his house.. it is a cash cow.

He even pays me a couple hundred a month to have access to extra parking on my property... win win

Comment

We do ok with ours but we are really limited by our market demands. When it is good it is fantastic. Down season for us is the time we use the property the most so it works out well.

Comment

They do well In the beach towns and the Hill Country. Have friends that have rentals in both spots. I believe you keep more of the money going the Air BNB route but takes more leg work from the owner.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

One thing to consider before jumping in is the added insurance cost.

Comment

Where is it located? Do you already have a place or looking to get a place?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Location Location Location

Comment

A coworkers brother started out with 1 on the lake and it done so well hes bought a remodeled another. Both supposedly are cash cows. Hes had people from other countries come and stay.

Comment

They all bring in revenue.....I think you are asking about income. That's the tricky part.

Comment

I’m a real estate investor & initially I was considering short term rental options but most investors I know didn’t favor the short term rental option. Mainly due to PM costs, insurance is normally higher & typically higher vacancy rates. Not saying the right deal, opportunity & location couldn’t be a good option.
                      Right now I do SFH investing

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        They all bring in revenue.....I think you are asking about income. That's the tricky part.

I think we’re both off base... it better bring in revenue/income, but does it bring in PROFIT!??

We are looking in the hill country at the moment. Possibly something near Garner/Frio River.

Comment

we have owned two rentals. On both we used them at times ourselves. Everyone here is correct - depends on location, etc. On ours we hired a property manager on the one that was out of state (Angel Fire) - they handled everything - cleaning, booking, etc. Be aware that renters can be pretty hard on a house - we cash flowed our properties so we netted no real cost, got to use the property when we wanted, and got the appreciation when we sold it

Comment

I wish I would have built a couple cabin(s) in Broken Bow back in 2004. Still think about it.

Comment

I have a vrbo on PossumKingdo. I think I’m at around a 150 nights this year. It has been a great investment but does require some work. It’s has been around a 15.5% cap rate.

Comment

Working...
                              X