No announcement yet.

Drawn for Aransas NWR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah I passed on this on e as I was drawn for Richland creek North unit. I will be hunting 10 days on that one. The cabin is going to be spendy for that hunt.

Comment

Originally posted by HighwayHunter View Post
      Same for laguna

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      It wasn't worth the 50 I had to pay back when

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
        Wait? What? TPWD charges $130 to hunt Aransas?
        The first few years there wan't any charges. Then they started charging $7, then $20 a few years later. Went to $65 to "cover the hunt's cost if the Govt shut down again", then the govt shuts down and they close the hunt anyway, would't even let the hunters go back in to get their deer out of the walk-in cooler, SMH.

The cost went to $135 because "that's what TPWD charges for "their" extended hunts".

Last couple years its costing hunters $350 to $560 to let a "pre-qualified", and only a pre-qualified wrecker come pull you out if you were stuck, and this year is going to be a wet year.
        Last edited by Thumper; 09-25-2020, 06:05 AM.

Comment

11-7/11 on second draw!

Hope it gets cold. Definitely one of the toughest hunts I’ve ever done. Still have some points marked from our hunt a couple of years ago.

Killed 7 pigs last time out, wife had a shot at a doe, Buddy had a shot at a buck maybe 140”ish. He froze in excitement and didn’t even raise the rifle. I saw a couple of foes farther out than I am comfortable shooting.

Comment

I drew 12/12-12/16 !! - I'm pretty excited - I've been to Laguna Atascosa a couple of times and absolutely loved it - so I hope it'll be somewhat similar. I'm trying to find a reasonably priced place to stay.

How are the roads in the refuge - I drive a sedan (drove it in and around Laguna) - curious to know how the roads are in/at Aransas - Thanks

Comment

My avatar pic is from the Aransas Wildlife Refuge. You can see all of the caliche dust on our vehicle. When I was a kid I hunted with my Dad out there.....ages 10-18. I can tell you this......I can still hear the humming noise of the mosquitoes from that place. I have seen guys running down senderos trying to get back to their vehicles because of the mosquitoes. They just were not aware of the situation. It’s like nothing you will ever hunt I can promise you that. I would go back but the mosquitoes keep me away from that place. Did I mention mosquitoes?!?!?!? Like others mentioned.....mosquito netting....lots of mosquito spray. Bring several cans. If you do not put spray on your eyelids they will bite you there. I am not kidding. Enjoy the hunt.

Comment

Wow! I'll be definitely looking into a mosquito net and plenty of ThermaCell - I'll also bring my guile suite and Hawk Quad Pod (10 foot)

Comment

I have to admit I always looked forward to the hunts when I was a kid. We found a deer lease when I turned 19. I went soft after that. LOL

Comment

This place is humbling. Anybody doin any killin?

Comment

Guess not. I’m gonna kill a buck tonight.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                        Guess not. I’m gonna kill a buck tonight.

How bad are the mosquitoes? At least I have until December to find out. Good luck!

Comment

They are pretty rough. But between off, thermacell, and wind, it’s manageable.

Comment

Originally posted by warrenm0624 View Post
                            They are pretty rough. But between off, thermacell, and wind, it’s manageable.

Good to know. Kill a big one.

Comment

How are things going in skeeterville.

Comment

Originally posted by BlazeofCory View Post
                                Would you recommend a climbing tree stand, ground blind or neither?

Sometimes you can find trees you can climb and hunt out of, but bringing a tripod about 8ft. to 10ft. high is, usually your best bet. In many areas, the oak brush is very thick, the grass can be fairly high also. I have used a pop up blind once, with the grass out there, it was hard to find a spot to get it sit properly, without cutting a spot bare by hand. I did not see much from the ground blind, when I set it up. I think I saw a couple of deer, but did not have much of a shot, because of the height of the grass.

A lot of the area, is soft sand, so expect tripod legs to sink. Basically bring some boards to put under the legs of the tripod. There are areas, that are hard black clay, towards the west side of the place, but we did not hunt those areas a whole lot, but we did hunt some of those areas, and saw both deer and pigs.

Comment

Working...
                                X