Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas vs. Electric towing comparison

I will keep my gas truck!

Until they put a more energy dense battery pack in the trucks, or a MUCH larger battery, an electric truck just doesn’t make any sense.

I want to see a hybrid 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Kinda like the F150 hybrid on steroids with a larger battery pack. It would be awesome to be able to tow a 5th wheel, then plug the RV into your truck instead of needing to carry a big generator, while still getting 20+ mpg in town.

Comment

The problem is the liberals and the new world order doesn’t give two ****s about you towing your rv
      I’m fact they don’t think you should own an rv

Unfortunately there is no rational / logical thinking when it comes to this topic now.
      They will ram it down our throats and if you don’t want or can’t afford an ev then ride the bus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Someone posted that the other day. I didn't realize the lightning had 700 ft lbs. Impressive.

Hopefully the hybrid version puts out the same once Ford gets it's head out of it's ***.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
          Until they put a more energy dense battery pack in the trucks, or a MUCH larger battery, an electric truck just doesn’t make any sense.

I want to see a hybrid 3/4 or 1 ton truck. Kinda like the F150 hybrid on steroids with a larger battery pack. It would be awesome to be able to tow a 5th wheel, then plug the RV into your truck instead of needing to carry a big generator, while still getting 20+ mpg in town.
          Not just the batteries capacity, but charge time. That's what is going to sink long haul trucking companies. Those electric semi's have a 4-500 mile range, but 12-18 hours to recharge to full capacity(barring multi-million dollar 1-2kv charging stations, which ain't coming for a long time). Maybe good enough for local work, but defenitely not long haul.

There's a company up north somewhere, i forget where, called edison motors. They're working on class 5 and 6 trucks, doing diesel-electric, real similar to the trains. A diesel generator, pushing electric motors. IIRC, their plans include a 350/3500 class truck, but they're years away yet.

Originally posted by OldRiverRat View Post
          The problem is the liberals and the new world order doesn’t give two ****s about you towing your rv
          I’m fact they don’t think you should own an rv

Unfortunately there is no rational / logical thinking when it comes to this topic now.
          They will ram it down our throats and if you don’t want or can’t afford an ev then ride the bus
          I mean... that's a problem, fo sho. But the logistical problems are what is going to prevent it from working. The grid simply can't handle it, and there's not enough battery materials come close to managing a full conversion. It's simple virtue signalling, and designed to punish those who live according to our(American) standards of living.

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post
            Not just the batteries capacity, but charge time. That's what is going to sink long haul trucking companies. Those electric semi's have a 4-500 mile range, but 12-18 hours to recharge to full capacity(barring multi-million dollar 1-2kv charging stations, which ain't coming for a long time). Maybe good enough for local work, but defenitely not long haul.

There's a company up north somewhere, i forget where, called edison motors. They're working on class 5 and 6 trucks, doing diesel-electric, real similar to the trains. A diesel generator, pushing electric motors. IIRC, their plans include a 350/3500 class truck, but they're years away yet.

I mean... that's a problem, fo sho. But the logistical problems are what is going to prevent it from working. The grid simply can't handle it, and there's not enough battery materials come close to managing a full conversion. It's simple virtue signalling, and designed to punish those who live according to our(American) standards of living.

No doubt but I would also suggest everyone is looking at the whole battery issue incorrectly.

Forget the charging, make batteries generally standard for vehicle classes and just exchange batteries.
            Plug and play is the answer even though it will require a lot more resources for batteries:

Comment

No doubt but I would also suggest everyone is looking at the whole battery issue incorrectly.

Forget the charging, make batteries generally standard for vehicle classes and just exchange batteries.
              Plug and play is the answer even though it will require a lot more resources for batteries:

I was just talking to a buddy about this yesterday. Plug n play batteries like our tools have only on a much larger scale. Battery stations instead of gas stations. Drive in a bay, they drop a large flat battery out from under your car/truck, slide a new one in, bam, your back on your way.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                I was just talking to a buddy about this yesterday. Plug n play batteries like our tools have only on a much larger scale. Battery stations instead of gas stations. Drive in a bay, they drop a large flat battery out from under your car/truck, slide a new one in, bam, your back on your way.

That might end in a disaster as I can see every car company making something proprietary and f*ing any chance of that working up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                  That might end in a disaster as I can see every car company making something proprietary and f*ing any chance of that working up

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Oh I agree completely. Our conversation was more along the lines of: it would be nice if.....
                  Unless there's some kind of regulation saying every car/battery has to be universal, then it will be just like cordless tools where every manufacturer has their own battery application

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    Oh I agree completely. Our conversation was more along the lines of: it would be nice if.....
                    Unless there's some kind of regulation saying every car/battery has to be universal, then it will be just like cordless tools where every manufacturer has their own battery application

They won’t be able to make one size fits all but they can standardize (regulate) and in my opinion that makes way more sense than charging
                    You can use the existing gas stations (infrastructure) and it’s a simple process. Probably be able to swap batteries in the same Amount of time you would normally take to fill up. Each station would most likely carry X amount of model batteries. You could do a simple search in waze to find the nearest station with your battery model. There would be plenty of business to maintain every gas station out there and gas will still be around for many years so it’s a dual purpose station
                    Prices for the recharge could be ran through a separate meter at the stations to set a market price.
                    I’m not an engineer but this makes more sense to me than recharge stations

Comment

Originally posted by Davoh View Post

I've heard ford is looking into something similar and maybe even applied for a patent on something similar. Either way it makes too much sense. I'd buy one if it was available now. I work from home so mostly short drives in the truck and wouldnt need the generator. But if I want to go on a road trip and pull my camper, I'd like to be able to get out of Texas on the first day with having to stop and recharge.

Comment

It will get there one day. The US is years from it but the torque and braking is another league than conventional. Range, down time, are the downside which is a big factor

Comment

In my opinion, either/or gas and electric, hybrid, is the best option now. Use the battery when you want but have the option to go to gas whenever you want.

No way on God's green earth will this country be able to go full electric by the time they said they want, besides, what is going to happen to overseas travel and the approximately 6000+ items we use almost everyday that are derivatives of fossile fuels? What is going to happen to these as far as a replacement.

This GREEN crap is full of lies and fallacies and no one will address those on SM or the MSM!

Comment

So you think stations will keep 1800 lb, $20,000-$30,000 battery packs in stock? How much training you think is required to change out a high voltage system with enough ampacity to create a plasma ball that would vaporize your arm. These are not light weight 12 volt batteries. The battery is a big part of the car/trucks structure. Your essentially removing part of the frame. Don't spread nonsense that there will be battery stop and swap stores. Maybe some non-engineer will create some unobtanium that will reverse laws of physics. As it stands now. Increasing ampacity, increases weight/size of the pack/vehicle.

They won’t be able to make one size fits all but they can standardize (regulate) and in my opinion that makes way more sense than charging
                            You can use the existing gas stations (infrastructure) and it’s a simple process. Probably be able to swap batteries in the same Amount of time you would normally take to fill up. Each station would most likely carry X amount of model batteries. You could do a simple search in waze to find the nearest station with your battery model. There would be plenty of business to maintain every gas station out there and gas will still be around for many years so it’s a dual purpose station
                            Prices for the recharge could be ran through a separate meter at the stations to set a market price.
                            I’m not an engineer but this makes more sense to me than recharge stations

Comment

Battery tech has a long way to go. Long haul trucking and hauling in general may benefit converting to hydrogen fuel cells. Until batteries get you 500+ miles and a sub 10 minute recharge time we are stuck with oil.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X