Calling all plumbers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all plumbers

We have been in the house for 2 years and have been battling water issues. We have hard water and I believe elevated levels of chlorine. Dishes are hard to get clean, clothes come out of washer with faded spots on them. I’ve looked at whole home water softener systems, but also looked at the 3 stage filtration systems.

The photo below is where the water supply enters the home, it’s on opposite side of house from garage so whatever I use will be on outside of home. The breaker box is there, and also an external outlet (not sure what run it’s tied into though).

I sketched up a diagram for the 3 filter setup because I was bored.

What suggestions do you have? I can always build a small enclosure to protect the system from elements.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm not a plumber, but I would put me another tee on the inlet side for a hose bib. Between the filter and the ball valve. It would act as a high point vent, and a water option on that side of the house. Those filters can get vapor locked, and hard to remove without letting the pressure off.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
      I'm not a plumber, but I would put me another tee on the inlet side for a hose bib. Between the filter and the ball valve. It would act as a high point vent, and a water option on that side of the house. Those filters can get vapor locked, and hard to remove without letting the pressure off.
      Amen. Two times I have busted 3/4 PVC trying to get the filter housing unscrewed from the cap/lid. I now keep fittings and extra pipe right there by the system.

Comment

Originally posted by Palmetto View Post
        I do the same thing on my sprinkler system. Allows you to drain it easy during the winter.

Comment

Put a little pre-fab plastic shed just past your panel up against the wall. they are like 2'x4'. In it, a carbon filter, like a KDC or Halo 5, and then a good softener. Having the carbon filter there to get the chlorine out will make your resin last a very long time.

Or, a plumbing co could easily trench that to put the equipment into the garage.

Comment

The Halo 5 could also be buried right there as well.

Comment

I’m not a plumber but use limeaway each time in the dishwasher

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post
                Put a little pre-fab plastic shed just past your panel up against the wall. they are like 2'x4'. In it, a carbon filter, like a KDC or Halo 5, and then a good softener. Having the carbon filter there to get the chlorine out will make your resin last a very long time.

Or, a plumbing co could easily trench that to put the equipment into the garage.

This will do all you need https://www.amazon.com/Fleck-Whole-S...%2C321&sr=8-56

Comment

Originally posted by bowhntrmatt View Post

You can also use a Kinetico water softener- it does not require electricity. I have had one for over 8 years without a problem.

Comment

I have a whole house water filter (20")with an activated carbon element at the water inlet. Then a water softner. I looked at a number of water softners from $500 to $8000. I bought he $500 one from Lowes. Figured I could replace several times before I got to $8000. We have a RO unit under the kitchen sink for all our drinking water. Been in use for five years and everything works great.

Comment

Originally posted by kmitchl View Post
                      I have a whole house water filter (20")with an activated carbon element at the water inlet. Then a water softner. I looked at a number of water softners from $500 to $8000. I bought he $500 one from Lowes. Figured I could replace several times before I got to $8000. We have a RO unit under the kitchen sink for all our drinking water. Been in use for five years and everything works great.

Can you send me link to the one you have?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                      X