LIVE: Alaska Bound - Semi DIY Bear Hunt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LIVE: Alaska Bound - Semi DIY Bear Hunt

I’ll try to keep this as live as possible and fairly certain I should have service where we are hunting.

Flying out of Houston now and should be in Anchorage around 2:15pm Alaskan time. Will be hunting with a good friend of mine that lives up there. I’ll make the drive down to Kenai this afternoon to meet him and then tomorrow around noon we will be headed out on a water taxi to be dropped off on a remote island for our hunt.

Will be a hunt over natural forage in some pretty cool looking terrain. I’ll have 1 tag and he has 3 since he’s a resident. Goal isn’t to shoot four of them, but we will see how this goes!

Since he lives and hunts there, I won’t be giving location of the hunt. This is public land I don’t feel that would be fair to him as he and his group of hunting buddies are the ones who have put in the work to find this location. I’d hope for the same respect out of anyone I brought hunting.

With all that said….let’s get this party started!

What’s a good thread without pics. A little Matt Heckler music on the short drive to the airport!
    Attached Files

Comment

In! Looking forward to pictures! Good luck!

Comment

Good Luck, Sounds like fun

Comment

good luck!
          following

Comment

Following & good luck

For non-resident black bear, are tags still otc? Limited to one?
            Last time I went, I believe you could buy 2-3 as a non-resident

Comment

Originally posted by 32drawlength View Post
              Following & good luck

For non-resident black bear, are tags still otc? Limited to one?
              Last time I went, I believe you could buy 2-3 as a non-resident
              Thanks!

You’re correct…they’re OTC and you can buy multiple if you’d like. I’m donating the meat while up there, so really didn’t want to try to get overzealous and shoot several.

Comment

have fun and following along. Good luck

Comment

Bye bye Houston!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Good luck and following.

We went to Alaska last year to fish. I can't wait to get back.

Comment

Have a safe trip and looking forward to it.

Comment

First exciting thing of the trip (if I can say that in this situation). Call for medical emergency on the plane and then they asked for a veterinarian. The lady checking her bags in front me was bringing a cat on the flight, something happened and apparently the cat just died.

Comment

Good luck. Those bears are some very fine tasting game and the fat is great to cook with. Talked to a buddy in Sterling the other day and he was whining that it was 72 degrees, “it’s so hot I’m in shorts and flip flops today”.

Comment

Good luck, following along. Keep the pics coming. Safe travels

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                              Good luck. Those bears are some very fine tasting game and the fat is great to cook with. Talked to a buddy in Sterling the other day and he was whining that it was 72 degrees, “it’s so hot I’m in shorts and flip flops today”.
                              My buddy was saying the same thing. Hoping this warmer than usual weather doesn’t already have them rubbing.

I’ve heard the same with bear meat, but figured I’d donate to someone up here who wants/needs it since I have a few freezers filled with axis.

Comment

Working...
                              X