Crazy Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crazy Story

We have to go back a few years on this one. Flash back to the summer of 2012...this bruiser started showing up. Our ranch is a total of 3,077 acres. About 2,700 are under high fence and the rest is low fenced along our north border which is the Nueces River. Our high fence is anywhere from 100 yards to 800 yards from the river, it is a great animal corridor and creates unique hunting opportunities. #4 and #6 in the picture are tower blinds that sit on the fence so that you can hunt both sides.

Round red dots are tower blinds, yellow squares are gates, yellow triangle is corn and the green squares are protein. Red line indicates high fence, yellow line is low fence boundary.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	157.5 KB
ID:	25063202

Anyway we feed the river pasture year round. This stud shows up and was always in and out, cruising from #6 to #4, in between, gone for a few days. Kind of a ghost.

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	178.3 KB
ID:	25063206

Name:	photo 5.JPG
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	25063207

Now it is opening morning, the buck has been for the last 5 days showing up right at day break. There I am sitting in a cattle panel ground blind brushed into a large bull mesquite. It is a small opening on the bend of the river with a feeder 15 yards in front of the blind.

Name:	kill spot.JPG
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	25063224

Nothing at the feeder, he moves in from left to right, broadside. I let on fly at 12 yards. The shot felt good and the deer darted directly away from me. It is thick and I was sure I would hear crashing soon. I waited an hour or so, walked around the impact sight, no hair, no blood, no blood going into the brush, no blood high on the brush. So I went to the road behind the feeder and started walking it along the river. I then find tracks to what I assumed was him exiting the brush and down the road away from the feeder, they were large tracks with deep impressions. Where you see the white arrow is where I found my Ted Nugent Pink Gold Tip and at the end of the arrow and near the fletchings there was a bloody film on it. I knew it didn't look good, so I decided to back out. A few hours go by and I continued the track, still never finding any blood. That next morning we conducted our annual fall survey, so with our eyes in the sky we hoped we could spot a belly from the air and came up with nothing.

Now fast forward a few years. Someone was in blind #6, shot and wounded a deer in the river. As they were looking for their deer they stumbled across this...perfectly intact, no cracks, breaks, no varmints had snacked on it. The horns and skull were perfect. The river country is full of sacahuista and it is thick. The horns had found their way under one of these bushes and been preserved from the sun. This set of horns has also survived three massive floods.

The horns are currently being replicated and I am going to mount two sets, one for the person who found them, and one for myself. I am going to leave the horns and skull as they stand. I am not going to stain them or bleach the skull to give the European mount, almost has a ghostly characteristic.

Thank you for reading.

Long live the beast!

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Size:	169.0 KB
ID:	25063203

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Size:	152.1 KB
ID:	25063204

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Size:	175.5 KB
ID:	25063205
    Attached Files

dadgum..what a hoss

Comment

Cool story and buck. Glad you finally got to put your hands on him.

Comment

Great read! Really neat buck!

Comment

nice!

Comment

Wow. Closure.

Great story and buck.

Comment

Wow. How far from your original shot?

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

That is one wicked cool set of antlers.

Comment

Good story and awesome buck!

Comment

So where do you think you hit him? How far from your stand to where they found him?
                      Great Buck and now you have a great story to go with it!

Comment

Cool story! Congrats on the long overdue recovery!

Comment

That's crazy for sure glad you finally got to put your hands on him

Comment

Holy moly

Comment

What a buck! Yeah, I'd love to hear the how far away from where you shot him, do you think the river washed the antlers under the brush during a flood, etc. Either way congrats. Just got word that the repro for the deer in my avatar is ready. I gotta get a frozen cape from Hill County to West Texas. I guess a styrofaom box and dry ice is best way? Don't mean to hijack a great thread but thought about it as I was writing this

Comment

Working...
                              X