Considering a used bay boat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
    Well, folks, I found my boat. Not exactly the direction I thought I'd go, but these weren't on my radar until I saw this one. I feel really good about the deal I made on it, and it leaves plenty in the budget for add-ons and maintenance.

2006 Mosca 22' Bay Raider
    2011 Suzuki DF250SS with ~400 hours

This thing rides well, and the raised console is nice! Plenty of motor for the boat, and it pops up on plane very quickly. Lots of storage, too.

My first additions will be a Power Pole, and I'll look into some sort of shade for it - probably a removable bimini.

Thanks to y'all for the input!
    Oh my, she's beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

A friend of mine had one and I got a real good deal on a motor from them back in 08. By the way my friend said it was the wettest ride he'd ever had. I wasn't there.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
        A friend of mine had one and I got a real good deal on a motor from them back in 08. By the way my friend said it was the wettest ride he'd ever had. I wasn't there.
        That's interesting. We had it out on the bay in pretty rough water and a good breeze last night and stayed nice and dry. From what I saw, unless there was a heavy cross breeze, it kept spray well away from the inside of the boat.

Comment

That is pretty much any boat. A cross wind is going to get you wet with spray. My boat is the smoothest riding bay boat I have ever been in and I can still get you sprayed if I run the wrong angle and catch that side spray just right on a windy day.

Those boats were real popular in the early to mid-00's. I never really heard anything negative about the quality of the hulls. I know a guy here who runs one still. I have had some tunnel vs just not a Mosca. They are not the driest, wettest, smoothest, roughest or shallowest but they do a whole lot pretty well. You could have done a whole lot worse. That boat will allow you to do a whole lot and have a bunch of fun. The Trans are great folks to deal with.

I hope it ends up being a great fit for you and you get lots of enjoyment out of it. If nothing else it'll be a great first boat because it does sit kinda in the middle of the spectrum. Won't be long and you'll know exactly what you want in a boat. You'll also learn a ton about maintenance and upkeep and general boat operation. When you get ready to upgrade you'll know which direction you want to go from there.

Just go easy on your turns at speed. You need to really respect that hull when it comes to that. Any tunnel v can swap ends and it is scary and can be dangerous if you don't know about it. Slow down, trim your motor way down and get the bow down into the water before you make a sharp turn. If you do that you won't have a problem. Most of the time you wouldn't have an issue anyway but the one time it does happen it'll scare the crap out of you. The key is slow down and get the hull into contact with the water all the way up to the bow. If you have enough water lower your jackplate all the way down before you start the turn as well. If you have the bow in the water before starting the turn you won't have an issue ever. If you just slow down and take the turns real big and easy you won't ever have a problem. It's really just something to be aware of and be thinking about as you run your boat. Anticipate your turns, especially tight fast turns.

Comment

Congrats on the boat.

Those tunnel V’s are great all around boats, but like Glen mentioned, be careful turning with the jackplate raised at higher speeds, as they have been known to swap ends.

Most of all have fun.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
              That's interesting. We had it out on the bay in pretty rough water and a good breeze last night and stayed nice and dry. From what I saw, unless there was a heavy cross breeze, it kept spray well away from the inside of the boat.
              Like I said. I wasn't there.

Comment

Glenn giving some spot on advice about those tunnel V's.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
                  That is pretty much any boat. A cross wind is going to get you wet with spray. My boat is the smoothest riding bay boat I have ever been in and I can still get you sprayed if I run the wrong angle and catch that side spray just right on a windy day.

Those boats were real popular in the early to mid-00's. I never really heard anything negative about the quality of the hulls. I know a guy here who runs one still. I have had some tunnel vs just not a Mosca. They are not the driest, wettest, smoothest, roughest or shallowest but they do a whole lot pretty well. You could have done a whole lot worse. That boat will allow you to do a whole lot and have a bunch of fun. The Trans are great folks to deal with.

I hope it ends up being a great fit for you and you get lots of enjoyment out of it. If nothing else it'll be a great first boat because it does sit kinda in the middle of the spectrum. Won't be long and you'll know exactly what you want in a boat. You'll also learn a ton about maintenance and upkeep and general boat operation. When you get ready to upgrade you'll know which direction you want to go from there.

Just go easy on your turns at speed. You need to really respect that hull when it comes to that. Any tunnel v can swap ends and it is scary and can be dangerous if you don't know about it. Slow down, trim your motor way down and get the bow down into the water before you make a sharp turn. If you do that you won't have a problem. Most of the time you wouldn't have an issue anyway but the one time it does happen it'll scare the crap out of you. The key is slow down and get the hull into contact with the water all the way up to the bow. If you have enough water lower your jackplate all the way down before you start the turn as well. If you have the bow in the water before starting the turn you won't have an issue ever. If you just slow down and take the turns real big and easy you won't ever have a problem. It's really just something to be aware of and be thinking about as you run your boat. Anticipate your turns, especially tight fast turns.
                  I do appreciate all the thoughts! I've witnessed a boat swap ends and it doesn't look like a ride I want to take. I'm looking forward to spending some time on the water with it to learn how it wants to perform.

Comment

Good looking boat! Enjoy the heck out of. And I suppose you should listen to Capt Glenn, he's an alright feller

Comment

I've done it a few times. In about 1996 I bought a brand new 22' Shoalwater tunnel V with a Mariner 150 EFI. In that day that was a big bay boat and a big outboard. I'd run mainly 18-21' flat bottom tunnels with 88-115 hp motors prior to that. The dealer never told me about tunnel vs and swapping ends. The tunnel V was the new popular design in bay boats at that time but I'd never heard of end swapping. I went and broke my new motor in over a couple of evenings and the first time I really got on it I was running up river towards the ICW. All my boats before that were different varieties of flat bottom tunnel hulls which all slid in turns. I was excited about the idea of being able to really turn sharp without sliding with that v hull. So I come up on this big right hand curve heading into the ICW and then you cut back real hard to the left into the ICW to run through the locks, back when we could run wide open through the locks. I hit that turn hard and it was turning really good so I got in in harder. And then a half second later BOOM, I was facing the opposite direction, water flying everywhere, motor dead. Scared the crap out of me. And I did it a couple more times in some different situations where I was really pushing the boat. Once was in about 10" of water when I just hit a little hard sand ridge that stuck up the hull caught as I was turning and had it jacked up and screaming trying to get out of a bad spot. I threw two passengers off the front cooler and down into the boat's floor on that one. I also was in open water turning once and caught a random boat wake wrong and it sheared off it hard causing the bow to bite and did about a 1/4 way spin out/shear. Just enough to jostle everyone around.

Knowing about the issue and knowing what causes it is the biggest thing. And then slowing down and not pushing it is the solution. I just never let anyone ever drive that boat but me. It's just not a hull I felt comfortable letting anyone else drive because I knew they could have an issue. I wasn't ever scared of it and I fished that boat for like 8 years and many hundreds of hours. That was a good boat and I caught tons and tons of fish out of it. I think Dukfvr and Smart even fished out of it once or twice many years ago with me.

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                          Glenn giving some spot on advice about those tunnel V's.
                          X2 or 3 or 4 lol

I've seen several tunnel vs swap ends and toss people out. Good all around boats just be careful turning jacked up or with other boat wakes.

Congrats on the boat!

Comment

I’ve recently seen some good deals on nautic star coastal boats that fit your description. Also a couple of nice frontiers

Comment

Working...
                            X