First Whitetail with a widow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First Whitetail with a widow

Well I wanted to get some venison this buck gave me plenty of oppurtunity. Here is how the story went.
    At about 3pm I headed to my tripod stand and and brought the remainder of some deer corn with me. I get there and there is a doe and this spike there, the doe bolts and the spike hangs out and prior to my first shot walks towards me was not spooked at all and the only reason I can assume is beacause I had just bathed in that Scent Blocker Carbon Blast and he could not smell me, amazing. It kind presents a shot to me and I was amazed he was 10 yards or so and I had not even gotten into my blind. I take my first shot and missed him and the arrow buries itself into a tree making a loud thud and it startles the deer. He runs towards me and stops 3 feet from me, I am freaked out, well he gives me 4 more missed shot oppurtunities (seriously God only knows why) and I lost 4 arrows plus a broken one in a tree. I had one more arrow and decided to keep it for a real oppurtunity and try to find the 4 lost Easton Axis arrows. Well I found 1 with mud caked all over it, so now I have 2 arrows and finallly climb into a the tripod and guess what! my little spike buck can't get the corn off his mind and shows up a second time 5 minutes later and I take 2 missed shots and I could not see huntin without any arrows so I climbed down and retrieved my 2 arrows and the deathwish or peta spike meandered into the brush and I knew that would be our final encounter. After being in the tripod for 5 minutes guess what a 3rd time is a charm, " I gave thanks to God, thanking Him for this tasty morsel that will be dressed in gravy" and I was able to send the sacrificial arrow into my dinners thoracic cavity thru both lungs and the aorta. Complete pass thru I saw his life force water the wilds lawn and I thought what an excellent shot as I heard him crash into the creek bed. I found my quarry laid to rest amongst some hedge apples under an osage tree. The bow was a 58" Black Widow PSA III Autum Oak 54@27 and a 570gr Easton Axis 340 with a 250gr Wensel Woodsman.
    Last edited by BowBuddy; 11-17-2006, 11:16 PM. Reason: no bow info

Congrats on the spike! I've had days shooting like that, I think its called buck feever.....

Comment

Congrats cant wait til i get my first one with my martin...by the way, are you kin to ted nugent?lol

Comment

Good job on the spike. Is that your first traditional kill?

Comment

He was meant to be yours.

Comment

no not kin to ted just got excited

Comment

i killed a 2does,spike, and an axis 3 years ago, with PSE coyote with sights, first instinctive kill though

Comment

Congrats on The Widow harvest, Ain't nothing like it!
                I have yet to kill a Whitetail with the Widow, but it worked just fine on the Sika and hogs.

Comment

Attboy

Comment

Congrats on your deer. I really enjoyed your story as well. I admire you for admitting to those misses and blown chances. It would have been easy (though not as entertaining) to leave that part out.

Straining to keep from making any Widow jokes GRRRGRRRRRRRAAAHHHHHH

Comment

congrats

Comment

You were blessed on this hunt. Congrats. Good story on the hunt until the term "Blackwidow" was mentioned.

Is that the only bow being successful this year? Do BWs automatically take whitetails all the time?

Will that work Chunky?

Anyway, good to know you made it happen. By the way, what did you have that corn laced with to keep that spike coming back for more? I need some of that for sure.

Comment

I don't beleive in yellow journalism, I think it was really a testament to the carbon spray, that deer did not knock me off. I am a great shot at the target and 3d range. I just got excited is all

Comment

I know the feeling. Been there, done that and wore out the T-Shirt. What an adrenalin rush.

Congrats. I know it won't be your last one with stick and string.

Good story.

Doug Key

Comment

I enjoyed the story as well. You put in the effort and the reward was well diserved.

Here's a tip for ya. Keep a 6" MB file in your necessaries bag/pack so you can resharpen broadheads as needed. A sharp broadhead makes for a good blood trail.

But, Chunky, I LIKE widow jokes.

Mornin BUFF.

Comment

Working...
                              X