Cant seal the deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cant seal the deal

Since coming back from Illinois Ive been hunting with only my longbow. I however have not been able to harvest anything. I have setups that are closer than 10 yards but the deer have never settled in. They come in but wont get comfortable. Since Saturday Ive had 11 deer and about 20 turkeys within 10 yards. I havent been able or even attempted to draw because the deer never seemed comfortable and the turkeys see too good./ Should I try it from a popup and see if it helps. I have found a new love of hunting and having the best time hunting Ive had in years. Thanks Steve (Texas50) for getting me hooked.

what are the deer coming too. if it is corn do they come down specific trails or just from everywhere. i would set up about 50 yards from your if " if it is corn" and that why they are not as nervous or alert when they are walking.

Comment

I know wha you are talking about. One of my spots I hunt the deer often walk as close as 12 yards away. They know something is there but just cannot figure it out where. The one doe I killed out of that stand I am still kicking myself in the a!@ for not taking one of my bows to the treestand with me that day. The one time they actually stop calmly right in front of me I have a shotgun. I suppose if you are in it for more than just the harvest be happy that the deer and turkey are getting that close to you. Just get them a little closer and use your pocket knife.ha,ha,ha,ha
      Chris Kiefner

Comment

A ground blind might well solve your problem. You will need to brush it in really well or wait until they get use to it. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Comment

I can't say this enough for all of us stick bow hunters.

You have to get a 7-12 yad shot - especially when the bow is doing 170-190 fps.

Corn the longest road or brushline, or fenceline. Glass, scout, scout, scout, or look for tracks, or use a gamecam for at least a day or two, see where they come in and go to.

Jump in downwind 1-2 yards off the road or brushline. No blind, just a good seat, I use double bull seats, they are awesome. Jump behind a tree, or in a good cactus patch, use as much natural cover as possible. I like to move into a place and make 1-2 small cuts of branches in 1 lane. minimum cuts.

Deer walk right by broadside. Usually the first set up is the best. Since doing this, I have had 100% success in S. Texas with deer and hogs. The indians didn't have feeders - they had to think about getting right on top of their game for a shot. I'll bet they rarely shot a deer outside 5-7 yards.

Scouting is key. Trails leading to feeders are good as well, 100 yards at least for deer to be calm.

Comment

Blinds work for me

Here is a pic of the type of ground blind I use. If the deer think it is just a big brushpile, then they won't be so skittish around corn. Brett
            Click image for larger version

Name:	JN Ranch 004.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	23817628

Comment

I set up a ground blind about 50 yards down a trail before I left about 8 yards off the trail. Im gonna try it in about 2 weeks.

Comment

Good luck to ya Glen.

Comment

Working...
                X