Texas Shoot Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Shoot Out

How many of yall trad shooters are going to make the javi hunt down south?

The hunt dates are 2/9/07 thru 2/12/07.Heck for $175.00 you can't beat it..

I am hunting with Perdnal during that weekend. I did enjoy my last trip down there though.

Comment

i plan on being there.. ill be the one with the double micarta bob lee stick

Comment

Where is the hunt? Id like more Info.

Comment

On the Callahan ranch North of Laredo and South of Encinal.

Comment

Here is the link

I will also be there but shooting a compound

Comment

I am!!!!!!cannot wait

Chris Kiefner

Comment

I went for the first time last year. I was extremely frustrated after the first day. I harvested two javelinas on the second day, packed up and headed home a little disappointed with the whole experience. Here is what I learned.

Go with a group.

Be there when the gates open, have someone find your camping area while the others find your hunting area and flag it.

Pick a camping area that is out of the high traffic areas as people will be driving around all day and all night (noise) and it may be dusty.

Find a sendero that dead-ends, is in the back corner of a pasture or is very difficult to get to, the further from camp the better. Otherwise you will have people driving and walking through. I couldn’t count the number of individuals I saw riding atvs with arrows nocked.

Regardless of what anyone says about the javilenas moving better during mid-day, be there at the crack of dawn. I shot both of my javelinas within the first hour of sunrise. I was sitting at a four way in the road with the other three roads having other hunter’s flagging. During the brief time I was sitting there I saw hogs and javelina on each of the unmanned roads. The pigs and javelina cleaned the roads of the previous days corn and headed to the brush for a siesta and the hunters never showed. It wasn’t until I was headed out of the pasture that I saw another hunter.

Be prepared to see a lot of people. No matter how far you go from camp, you will see people constantly throughout the day (after they wake up of course). Just not what I expected when I headed to a 96,000 acre ranch.

Hopefully knowing these things ahead of time will help you to have a more enjoyable experience.
                Last edited by TradAg02; 12-05-2006, 01:12 PM. Reason: clarity

Comment

I was, but now I'm not.

I'm going on a hunt on March 31 and it'll take a few extra dollars for the trip.

I'm goin to Smitty's!!!! "Brush Country"

Comment

I would like to make it, but just had surgery yesterday may not be read by Feb.

Comment

Mitch,

I hope the surgery went well.

Last year I had my surgery (screw in scafoid and reattach ligaments/tendons) the day after thanksgiving and this was my first hunt. I hunted with the 40lb recurve I shot my first deer with. All three shots brought tears to my eyes, but it was worth it to get out.

They originally told me I wouldn’t be able to shoot my bow until June, but I was shooting without pain by the Hill Country Shootout.

Make sure you follow through with the stretching after you come out of the casts. I still can’t bend my wrist backwards.

Good luck.

Comment

The surgery went well, I have a soft cast, and do not have any pain. Feeling has came back to my fingers.

Comment

Glad to hear all went well.Hope to see you there.

Comment

Working...
                          X