Hog hunting questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog hunting questions

I'm going to east Texas on a hog hunt. What will bring a hog down fastest from a shotgun, 00 Buck ? Or is there something better?

I'll be using my bow to get one or two but if a group of small ones comes out I want to blast them. I only get one weekend to get them.

Also does any hog attractant actually work good or do they come to plain corn just as good?

I've never actually shot a hog with a shotgun, but I've heard slugs are the way to go. I'm sure someone on here will know more than me on that issue. Also, at our place, corn works better than anything we've tried. I've tried Pig Out and Wild Beast Feast or whatever it is called and that didn't work for me...but I'm sure it has worked for someone.

Comment

Just re-read your question about the ammo...for a GROUP of small pigs, 00 buckshot would make more sense than slugs because you could mow them down easier!

Comment

I used to shoot them from the air with 3" Winchester XX #4 buck. Works wonders. It'll kill em dead. It also has 41 pellets. Has a tight pattern up close, but, with 41 pellets, it holds a dense pattern plus lots of velocity at longer ranges.

Comment

How far will it "kill em dead" ?

I was planning on only shooting if they were under 20 yards. Also where do you aim? neck?

Thanks

Comment

I have used both slugs and 00-buckshot on hogs. If your plan-n on have-n-em at 20 yards and trying to get more than one at one-time, use the buck. If you use buckshot, aim for behind the head where the neck and head come togeather. Some pellets might hit the head and some the neck bone drop-n the hog in its tracks. If you shoulder shoot-em with buckshot, you might have to run-em down. That shoulder bone is pretty tough and buckshot lead is pretty soft. And there is no gar-un-ty that you will hit vitals.
            Slugs are pretty soft too. Shootem behind the shoulder low and tight to the leg at 20 yards. and They will fall fast.

I used to have a slug followed by buck when I was expecting a group to show. Use the slug on the big pig and buck on the little-ns

I've also used my 30-06 and lined up a bunch of-em and shot 5 with one shot one time. They were at 60 yards. Made my land-owner laugh

Comment

Slugs are as deadly as anything else.

If your using a smooth bore with just a bead front sight then you might want to practice a little or stick to the buck shot.

If your shooting slugs in a gun with iron sights or scope you can be good out to 100 to 150 yards all day everyday depending on your setup.

A few years ago I shot this 208lbs dressed sow with this slug at Granger WMA at 120 yards. The hog was running left to right.

I double lunged it and the slug ended up stuck between the ribs on the other side.

Even from an improved short barrel shotgun the pattern is pretty tight at less than 20 yards.

Buy a blunderblaster if you want to waste a whole bunch of them up close but don't over do the powder!

Can you use a pistol also?

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1771.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	25.3 KB
ID:	23829189

Click image for larger version

Name:	Copy of IMG_1699.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	54.1 KB
ID:	23829190

Comment

RiverRat1, Ive used horse "sweet feed" to get stinky piggys into an area. Use the whole bag. A lot more scent than corn.
                Heard this about shooting a group of pigs. Shoot a small one in the hid end quickly disableing it abillity to run. It will sqeal and just have a fit. The other pigs hang around wondering what the hell is wrong with Mr Arnold. Then pick em off one by one.
                Sounds good to me.

Comment

shoot right behind the ear it willd rop em rghi there. ive dropped a 150lb boar wiht a 22 with a shot right behind the ear.

Comment

Back.. We did ok. I had a group of about 25 little pigs maybe 30 pounds come blazing out. No mama though.

I just blasted my 270 in the middle of the pack at about 75 yards. Killed one pretty quick and another blew out it's lower back. It ran around squeeling for about 5-7 long minutes. The other were like lightning LOL.

Looking back I feel stupid. My original plan would have worked wonders. IF I would of had my shotgun with 00 buck... and they ate the corn trail to me I bet I could of blasted 5 or 6 just with the first shot. Then shot a couple more on the run.

The guy I went with has a few pics. He got a good size russian(I think it was).

Was a great weekend in far east Texas.

Comment

Working...
                    X