7.3 Powerstroke No Start Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

7.3 Powerstroke No Start Help

2000 7.3, found the wires to both the fuel heater and water in fuel sensor chewed off by critters, also the ECM monitoring wire for the glow plug relay. We fixed the GPR wire first and still no start. Lift pump is delivering fuel to the filter housing. Curious if the sensors on the back of the fuel filter housing would cause a no start issue. Is there any easy way to check delivery of fuel to the injectors? Looking for easy stuff first.

The fuse that goes to the heater is probably blown. It also takes out power to the pcm. Change that fuse and will probably start. If the check engine light doesn’t come on when you turn the key on the pcm is not on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I checked the fuses and the relays in the power box. None are bad. So I should see the check engine light when I turn the key to validate the PCM is working?

Comment

“SERVICE ENGINE SOON” in the lower right comes on when the key is turned.

Comment

Keep digging through wires, they never only chew on three

Comment

Check fuse box under the hood as well as under the dash.

Comment

White smoke coming out exhaust while cranking?

Comment

No smoke. We tested the glow plugs at the valve covers and got infinite resistance on all eight. I’m doubting our test but we did it twice, two different guys doing it. We’re thinking it may need glow plugs, the relay tested properly. No fuses are blown. It reads RPM’s when it’s cranking. Plenty of oil in the crankcase. Just won’t start.

It’s been sitting for over a year. Trying to help my brother-in-law get it back up and running.

Comment

Pull the ipr sensor and make sure clean, could be gunked up and that will cause it not to start.

Comment

Pull the starter and have it tested

Comment

Try wd40 as starter fluid while cranking.

Comment

The starter works as it should. We hooked up an OBDII scanner and it doesn’t recognize the vehicle, doesn’t connect.

Comment

**** soybeans

Comment

Turns out one of the sensors that has chewed up wires is the IPR sensor. I read that when the IPR sensor is unplugged the PCM will use a default signal which can cause rough idle but not a no start condition. Thoughts? We’re still chasing wires.
                            Last edited by TXUSMC; 08-01-2020, 03:31 PM.

Comment

Disconnected the ICP sensor and the OBD scan tool works now. Codes: P1280, P0475, P0603 and P0470.

Comment

Working...
                              X