Smith River Trip in Montana

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smith River Trip in Montana

Has anyone ever done it? It has become a bucket list item for me that I will be doing one day.

I know that it is highly regulated and controlled by the state, and you have to draw a permit to do it DIY. Which I'm not even sure I have the experience to do (is there whitewater)? The other option is to hire a guide which is $$$$$ ($4800/person per the first outfitter I looked up).

Just wondering if any boys from Texas has done and can make some recommendations.

I've never done it but would love to some day. But yes the outfitters will cost you plenty.

I did the DIY on the Gunnison. Gunnison gorge from chukar trial to the rv park take out. Needless to say I'll never make that mistake again. White water is no joke and I don't want to say we were lucky to make it out alive, but we clearly did not have the whitewater experience for that trip.

Comment

The Smith is right at the top of my list of trips to do. Maybe next year. Have a friend with a raft up there just need to draw the permit.

Comment

Originally posted by Muygrande View Post
        The Smith is right at the top of my list of trips to do. Maybe next year. Have a friend with a raft up there just need to draw the permit.
        Do you know how hard it is to navigate? I wonder if it is cheaper to hire a guide if you drew your own permit?

Comment

From what I have been told there isn’t any really hairy whitewater. Biggest issue I hear about is hitting the flows rights since you have to apply for your permit so far in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Muygrande View Post
            From what I have been told there isn’t any really hairy whitewater. Biggest issue I hear about is hitting the flows rights since you have to apply for your permit so far in advance.
            Do you have any info on the best time to go for the right flows? I'm thinking anytime before mid June there is a real chance for it to be blown out, but isn't the salmon fly hatch in early June?

Comment

If it's really a bucket list item, hire a guide and do it first class.

Just my opinion.

Good luck, sounds awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by rferg84 View Post
                If it's really a bucket list item, hire a guide and do it first class.

Just my opinion.

Good luck, sounds awesome.
                I can't argue that point, but I also don't really want the red carpet rolled out for me either. I'd rather have it be a little rough to really enjoy the experience.

Comment

Working...
                X