Couple of grendel questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of grendel questions

Anybody have a good load with 123gr. SET'S. Second question. Who reloads for AR platform. Any problems?. I had to get a small base die for .556. Using standard dies didn't resize enough in the web area, hence, stuck cases.

I haven't had any problems reloading for my AR15 Grendel once I got my sizer die set right. You definitely don't reload an AR the same as a bolt gun! I am using a standard FL Hornady brand die. But every gun is different for sure.

Ar are hard on the cases when they eject and bounce around on concrete

Comment

I’m having a brain fart; what are SETs?

Also regarding resizing the brass, get you a shoulder bump gauge. Measure a fired case and bump the shoulder back .003-.005” and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I have never had a problem using FL dies. Raise the ram, screw die down until it touches, lower ram, and then screw die in 1/8-1/4 turn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mike D View Post
          I’m having a brain fart; what are SETs?

Also regarding resizing the brass, get you a shoulder bump gauge. Measure a fired case and bump the shoulder back .003-.005” and you should be good to go.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
          Sorry Mike. Hornady 123gr SST's
          Last edited by Walker; 11-30-2020, 01:47 PM.

Comment

i know the 123 SST's are a horrible deer bullet from what I've experianced FYI

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
              I've had excellent results with them high shoulder or neck shots. All DRT. Haven't shot any hogs yet.

Comment

I’ve got a great load with 123 ELDMs and am on my 8th loading of Hornady brass and so far so good in Hornady dies. I think I can make it to 10 If I’m lucky.

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                  I’ve got a great load with 123 ELDMs and am on my 8th loading of Hornady brass and so far so good in Hornady dies. I think I can make it to 10 If I’m lucky.
                  Pm me your load unless you'd rather not.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I've had excellent results with them high shoulder or neck shots. All DRT. Haven't shot any hogs yet.
                    Maybe it was a bad batch of bullets but i had 5 bullet/jacket separations with them.

Very little internal damage, pitiful performance

Comment

I run 123gr eldm with 28.0gr imr xbr8208 out of an AR and it’s deadly on hog and deer.

Comment

Maybe it was a bad batch of bullets but i had 5 bullet/jacket separations with them.

Very little internal damage, pitiful performance
                        That has been my typical experience using any sst.

Comment

I couldn't get the SST's to shoot real good but found the Nosler 120 Ballistic Tips over AR Comp powder is scary accurate and very deadly. The 120gr Sierra Match Kings also shoot the same and take the same load date. As mentioned above, get the sizing die set right and you're good to go. I use a Lee turret pres with Lee dies and have had no issues.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Comment

They usually do ok at the lower velocities of the Grendel.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                              Sorry Mike. Hornady 123gr SST's

Ah, ok. I’ve gotten the best velocity and accuracy using AR comp powder and magnum primers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X