Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Proud Dad - Kid's First Deer

What an awesome season this has been!

My kids had never shown a strong interest in hunting, although they have grown up around it. This all changed last year when my In-laws purchased a small place in Mason. We strictly bow hunt, so when they said they were ready, off I went to buy a crossbow.

Last year my daughter "dug her heels in", and we sat no less than 40 sits trying to kill 2 particular bucks, but to no avail. This season started off slow, with us just seeing does and yearling bucks. That all changed on the morning of Friday, October 23rd. I heard a deer jump in the pen before daylight, and with the binos, could tell it was one of the bucks we were after. He soon jumped out of the pen and walked off to our right. At 7:30 the feeder went off, and a few minutes later he made his way back into the pen, along with a couple of other deer. He never would settle in and give her a shot, and eventually jumped out and walked off. We thought he was gone for good, until the other deer left, and he reappeared and jumped right back in the pen. Finally at 8am, he gave her a slight quartering away shot, and she placed the bolt right through the pump house. He made it 50 yards.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Kiley 8pt - 1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	496.8 KB
ID:	25231434

Name:	Kiley 8pt - 2 - Copy.jpg
Size:	515.3 KB
ID:	25231435

All while this is happening, my son is in the other stand with my father-in-law, and he shoots his first buck. Unfortunately, come to find out it was low and through the brisket. He was frustrated, but determined to get back out and try again. We went back out the following Saturday (Halloween), but only had the morning to hunt. Right after the feeder spun, we had a couple of young deer come in, and he tells me he sees another buck, but I can't see it. Finally after about 20 minutes, he turns broadside, and the boy finds his mark this time! The buck made it 35 yards.

Name:	Bryson 8pt - Copy.jpg
Size:	509.2 KB
ID:	25231436

Both my kids got their 1st deer a week apart. To say I am ecstatic is an understatement! This has fueled the fire that I can only hope lasts a lifetime.

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

That is awesome , congrats

Comment

Can’t beat it!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Congratulations to all of yall.

Comment

Congrats!!

Comment

Good stuff. Big congrats to y’all.

Comment

That is what it is all about, you are doing it right!

Comment

Awesome! Congrats!

Comment

Good stuff. Congrats!

Comment

Man thats awesome stuff, Waydago!

Comment

Awesome!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Awesome stuff right there. You’re going to have a really nice taxidermy bill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Good Stuff! Congrats!

Comment

Working...
                              X