Turkeys have disappeared- Quanah/Childress

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Turkeys have disappeared- Quanah/Childress

My lease is off 287 a half mile north, between Childress and Quanah. We had good numbers of turkey last year, cameras always full with pics and good spring turkey hunting. They have almost vanished. I heard a rumor that eye worm had hit them. Anyone else in this area seen or heard this? Thanks.

I haven’t seen any at our place just west of Childress since thanksgiving

Comment

South of Crowell we used to be covered didn’t see any turkeys last deer season at all but more javelinas than we have seen in the last 12 years here

Comment

Any of y'all do prescribed burns? I've found that turkey's will pile in to an area after a burn starts to green back up.

Comment

I have not heard of any disease - hopefully it is just the come-and-go of turkey behavior. I did not see one single turkey on our place during the entirety of deer season - either in person or on camera. I pulled cards this weekend for the first time in a month and there were turkeys at our feeders every day - some in groups of 20+. Hoping they will still be around come April but you never know with those critters.

Comment

We had far fewer this year than in years past.

I have not heard of the eyeworm affecting turkey, but that is a big theory going around with the quail guys.

Comment

They travel from winter grounds to spring grounds. All about food.........

Comment

Do you have a bunch of raccoons running around? They’re a big factor most don’t think about.

Comment

I didn't see as many on my place this year now that I think about it.

Comment

We hunt just north of Goodlett and have about our normal turkey pics for this time of the year.

Comment

My lease outside of Victoria is always erratic. Sometimes there are a few during deer season but some years none at all. Then spring comes and they come out of nowhere. As others have said, last spring I saw fewer than normal. Almost seems like the drier it is the more turkeys I see which sucks because this year has been a total washout..

Comment

I have not seen a turkey in 2 years on my place near wellington before that we were covered in turkey

Comment

We have never had a good number of turkeys at our Robert Lee lease, but past leases at Sterling City had a LOT of turks?

We have a lot of bobcats, a few coons and strangely enough, not many yotes we either hear, see or find their scat?

I don't know what the deal is, but I would guess at least for us it's a predator issue??

Comment

Man, we have those dang corn buzzards around all year (in Llano). I guess we need to limit the food. Haaa.

Comment

I hunt south texas and have had similar issues..... had a few pics last turkey season but never saw any since.... hopefully some will work their way back this season or ill just be working on my calling this whole t-season. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X