How many only hunt in the evening

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
    Kill almost all my bucks in the evening. If it’s a full moon all night I don’t hunt in the mornings. But to say I never hunt in the morning would be a lie especially if I have a good buck on camera that has been showing in the morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I was always taught a full moon will ruin morning hunts, but I always seem to see bucks out late morning after a full moon. It’s like too many animals were up all night so they take a day shift before they decide to move around.

Comment

Early bow season in South Texas is deer hunt the morning and dove hunt the afternoon..

Once it cools a little Morning and Afternoon

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
        I set my stands where I can get in unnoticed in the mornings. This might mean not going in until its barely breaking light so I don't have to use any light. If I use a light at all its covered by my hand and just a sliver of light pointed straight down to walk by.

I love the crack of dawn. Oh what a majic time.
        I tend to make a lot less noise walking in when I do it then. Also a bit safer than climbing up a tree in total darkness.

Comment

I get in the stand a good hour before day light and do my best sleeping up until the woods start waking up. Never fail to wake up in time. Just love the mornings and I make sure I hunt the wind and control the scent.

Comment

I’ve (unfortunately) bumped deer in the afternoon getting out there for an evening hunt multiple times. Now I just pack all my food, coffee and water for the day and don’t leave the stand most of the time.

Comment

Instead of spooking them in the morning, they get a front row seat to watch you come into the stand from where they're bedded. You're not giving deer enough credit. They know when you've been sleeping. They know when you're awake. They kn........

Comment

I love morning hunts but hate losing sleep. So I get up a couple hrs before shooting light, get in the stand and sleep until light. LOVE IT! Have my thermos of coffee and watch the woods come alive. What it’s all about for me.

Comment

I did kill my biggest buck on a all day set . But he didn’t show until 5:30 that evening. Didn’t see a deer that day until 10:30 . And saw deer on and off from 10:30 tell I killed him . So who knows if getting in my stand before daylight and setting all day helped me shoot that deer maybe . The only reason I set all day because the week before he had showed up on camera anywhere from 8:30 in the morning until dark . He showed around 11:30 am and 2:30 Pm a lot that week!
                  Last edited by Hoss163; 05-13-2020, 08:49 AM.

Comment

I’m getting to be the opposite. I will not bow hunt the evening because I hate tracking deer in the dark in thick brush. Hard to see blood. And if you don’t find them quick the coyotes start chewing in them.

Comment

We just don't have setups that allow for unnoticed early morning entrances. I've seen a couple of guys mention on here that they only hunt the evenings for just that reason. How many of you do that?
                      I'm not a morning person but I will get in the stand early to kill a big deer. Many times I've crawled in the stand at 3 or 4 am and gone back to sleep until daylight.

That being said, our place is small and it can be a challenge to move around without alerting every deer on the place to your presence.

To avoid putting too much pressure on our place I let Covert cams do most of the scouting and I might not even hunt a stand until I have a target buck on camera several days in a row and only if I have the right wind and weather conditions.

We had an axis that would show at the second the feeder the went off only in the mornings. I was getting in the stand over an hour before and wouldn't see him but the very next morning I'd get pictures of him on my phone. I couldn't seem to get there early enough not to spook this deer. On this particular set up there was no way to get to the stand without walking past the feeder.
                      I deduced that he was getting to that feeder in the middle of the night and sleeping there until it went off.
                      I set up a pop up blind to the northwest that I thought I could slip in to undetected as it was sort of uphill from the feeder. That morning I parked at the gate, walked 400 yards, got in the blind and shot the axis at daylight. Sometimes you have figure out their pattern and outsmart them. A little luck never hurts.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                        I get to the stand at least an hour or hour and half before daylight. Maybe your getting to your stand to late. I like morning hunts better because when you do shoot something your tracking him in the daylight.

This right here.

I rather shoot and track in the daylight and save the evenings for drinking beer

Comment

I hunt every chance I get, morning and evening. Also have gone out when the other guys are coming in depending on the weather and what the cameras are showing.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
                            Weekend warriors who drive to the lease on Friday night get two morning hunts and one weekend hunt. Would be crazy to hunt only afternoons imo even though I get to hunt more than that. I love watching the morning wake up as well.
                            I drive 5 hours one way. So I try to get as much in as I can. I don’t miss the morning hunts. There have been a couple of times I got in really late and I slept in on Saturday. But got to the stand late morning and stayed the rest of the day.

Comment

I’m from the mind set of hunting season only comes around once a year so I try to maximize all my time and sit mostly the whole day especially when the rut is on. I’ve spooked bucks trying to get in the stand well before daylight to see them later that morning at 10 or 11.

I would also say that probably 80% of deer I’ve killed in my lifetime have been in the morning before 9:30, but the biggest buck I’ve got on the wall I killed in the evening about 5:15.

Comment

Opposite-- prefer mornings for temperature and tracking if needed.

Comment

Working...
                                X