Mule 4010 speed question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mule 4010 speed question

my father in law bought a used Mule 4010 a couple months ago, we've been using it for just putt'n around our place, working on fences and cool **** like that.

The other day I got to thinking, this thing has to be governed down because it's dog slow, like top speed might be 15 in high gear, and that's being generous.

Is there a way to check this, any maybe turn it up? Or are they just slow machines built for low gear power & not top end speed.

I found on google a mule 4010 is electronically governed at 47mph, no way this mule goes anywhere close to that fast. Sure would be cool if it did though

is the driver seat belt clicked in or bypassed? Our FXT is governed to 10 mph or so if the seat belt isnt buckled

Comment

What year? Mine does the same thing. I looked at a couple of forums and from what I can tell that is normal. They did give some ways of overriding it. Mine is a backup and is used to fart around the pasture in and such. So, I just left it alone.`

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
        What year? Mine does the same thing. I looked at a couple of forums and from what I can tell that is normal. They did give some ways of overriding it. Mine is a backup and is used to fart around the pasture in and such. So, I just left it alone.`
        I'm not real sure on the year model, but it's certainly not new or close to it.

Comment

check the spark plugs...one of mine barely came off and it was running on 1 cylinder...i popped it back on and ran like a top

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
            they just slow machines built for low gear power & not top end speed.
            Yep. Use it for what it is. I had a 3010, & my dad has a 4010. I cant stand them.
            47MPH is not correct. More like +/- 22mph.

If you want faster & smoother, buy a FXT.

Comment

Ours hangs around 20 when the pedal is to the floor. It's a 2009 with 750 hrs. Was acting sluggish recently and we started putting premium gas in it to try and keep it from bogging down. Much smoother running, but I doubt it helped the top end speed.

Comment

15 mph low range and 25 mph in high. Could be a clutch or drive belt issue. How many hours are on the mule?

Comment

The valves on these engines cannot handle the higher RPM's.

If you figure out how to over ride the governor I have the name of a guy that can drop in a new crate motor when a rod gets bent and tears through the thing.

If you need to go faster get a different buggy. These are not intended for speed.

Comment

I think mine tops out at about 22 mph. Any faster than that and it would probably beat you to death. They are made more for ranch and farm use than hunting.

Comment

That's the reason they are call a "Mule." Mine would only go about 20mph. It was built for hauling stuff, not hauling ***

That being said, when I was at top speed the motor sure didn't sound like it was running hard.

Comment

good to know, thank guys.

Comment

I don’t believe it’s the engine that is the issue. If I remember correctly the transmission is the problem. I believe you can make them go a bit faster, not 40 but in the 28-30 range but the transmission will not last long after making that change. Like was said already, they just weren’t made to be fast

Comment

Definitely governed and definitely for a good reason.

Comment

Originally posted by basschsr View Post
                              I don’t believe it’s the engine that is the issue. If I remember correctly the transmission is the problem. I believe you can make them go a bit faster, not 40 but in the 28-30 range but the transmission will not last long after making that change. Like was said already, they just weren’t made to be fast
                              Engine! Tranny is a belt drive similar to the Rangers and such. They go much faster than the old style mules.

This is information I was told by a Kawi mechanic. He loves when people try and over ride the governor. Keeps him busy!

Comment

Working...
                              X