Gun Ownership Transfer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gun Ownership Transfer

What paper work needs to be completed to make sure a firearm is taken off of the sellers name and into a new owner name?

None

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Comment

If you want the end game to move onto someone else or to you, then you need to have a FFL do a 4473 from the current owner to the next.

It really depends on how old the firearm is and how many times it changes hands & how it changed hands with regards to traceability. If it's a recent gun that went from Mfg to disty to retail & to you, then a 4473 with you as the acquisition & your buyer as the disposition...that is the end game or at least till it changes hands

If it's an older gun that went from Mfg to disty to retail to the original buyer to private sale with no record & and another and another / etc then to you & you still did a 4473 In & out to your buyer, it sorta muddies the water unless the last FFL or owner was contacted to do a stolen / lost report form to ATF.

I'm just talking traceability...there is no registry actually that takes anything off a certain name per current law.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
        What paper work needs to be completed to make sure a firearm is taken off of the sellers name and into a new owner name?
        There is no such thing. However.....

I agree with both posts #2 and #3. No paperwork is required or really exists however if you do a 4473 through and FFL (usually for a fee), it will show that someone else bought the gun.... maybe. A bill of sale might be more sufficient if the cops come a knockin'.

Comment

these types of questions amaze me

Comment

Originally posted by Bruiser View Post
            these types of questions amaze me
            Well, he is an aggie

Comment

No registration in Texas. If purchased new the paperwork you filled out at the retailer stays with the retailer. If I sell a firearm, I will get the persons full name, phone #, and DL#, and record the date of sale just in the event that it gets used in a crime so that I can give the authorities the info of the person I sold to. I do this whether I purchased it new or from an individual.

Comment

There is no requirement to do any thing. I’ve been buying and selling guns for thirty years mostly because I like variety I don’t even remember some of the guns I’ve owned. I have a friend that got the call about a gun he sold 20 years ago. He told the LEO what he knew (which wasn’t much) and life went on.

Comment

Gun Ownership Transfer

Originally posted by basschsr View Post
                  No registration in Texas. If purchased new the paperwork you filled out at the retailer stays with the retailer. If I sell a firearm, I will get the persons full name, phone #, and DL#, and record the date of sale just in the event that it gets used in a crime so that I can give the authorities the info of the person I sold to. I do this whether I purchased it new or from an individual.

If someone gives you their DL # they are an idiot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by basschsr View Post
                    Lmao. I have nothing to hide. I have a CHL. And it would be a cold day in hell before I let you or anyone besides a dealer have my info. I understand your point in doing it. But it won’t do much good.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasAg2002 View Post
                      taken off of where?

Comment

Ask Jason Sutton texag93

Comment

Working...
                        X