KE arrow experts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KE arrow experts

As the title says experts......so that will mean Gumbo Man and Curt need not comment.

Im trying to understand how far out I should take a shot on an elk if I get the opportunity in September. My arrow weight is 400gr with 12.9% FOC. My 29" DL at 64 lbs has the arrow leaving my bow at 275 fps and I have Iron Wills with either double or single bevel on the business end. Im comfortable shooting out to 100 yards (not sure I would at an elk) but it got me to thinking about how much KE I have down range and at what point would it be unethical to let one fly. Im hoping 60-70 yards is still doable given my set up. If not, I may have to do some last minute upgrading.

The Realtree Store is the best place to find all of your favorite products in your favorite Camo Patterns | Realtree the Best Camo Patterns World Wide.

I plugged in your stats and theyre not a believer of your setup and game larger than whitetail.

I think momentum and slugs is a more pertinent measure than KE especially at your desired distances.

Good luck MrRTP.

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      https://www.realtree.com/kinetic-ene...tum-calculator

I plugged in your stats and theyre not a believer of your setup and game larger than whitetail.

I think momentum and slugs is a more pertinent measure than KE especially at your desired distances.

Good luck MrRTP.
      I looked at that and it isnt taking into account the FOC. Or maybe, that's not an important factor in the equation?

And thank you for the response. You are one of those I was hoping would chime in.

Comment

The FOC is an important factor in penetration. I am a firm believer in good momentum and higher than normal FOC.

The next factor I would look at is what BH are you going to use? COC would be the best choice followed by a hybrid or fixed but I do not think a mechanical would or should be used. Just my opinion.

As far as distances, as close as possible and use the longer, over 40 maybe 50 yards as possible follow up shots.

Remember also, Elk have about a 16"x16" kill zone!

Comment

Im starting to be convinced more by MrTrumpkin that overall arrow weight is of equal or more importance than high FOC. Tune is paramount of course.

I saw an elk shot at 30 yards with a 65# Prime with a 29” 415ish grain arrow and mech head. Bad shot into liver area and lost elk…but arrow only penetrated 19” or so. We found 10” broke off. Im hesitant to encourage far distance shots with your running overall weight.

Comment

IW's are a great broadhead but I would be a little leery of the blade angle and thickness with only 400 grains pushing it. Certainly it would work as people put down elk with big expandables. I would think you would be just fine.

If it was me I would probably go with something like a magnus stinger with a more swept back lower blade angle being as you bounce off a rib that head will deflect less thus penetrating further than the IW.

Comment

I think I'd throw some collars on them or swap out the inserts for something a bit heavier. It wouldn't be a dramatic change on the current setup as the season nears, but I think it'd pay dividends.

I built my arrows at 490grains and 15% FOC. I'm shooting 72# and 29.5 draw and for my setup this was the sweet spot. Based on what you've shared I don't think you're far off, and you may be on the money. Good luck!

Comment

KE = 1/2mass*v^2 and P(momentmum)= mass*velocity. If you want to incorporate both mass and KE into your equation you can use KE = P^2/2m or P=sqrt of 2mKE.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                  KE = 1/2mass*v^2 and P(momentmum)= mass*velocity. If you want to incorporate both mass and KE into your equation you can use KE = P^2/2m or P=sqrt of 2mKE.

I ran the numbers and came up with purple eskimo school bus! Im guessing I didnt do it correctly.
                  Last edited by rtp; 08-08-2022, 02:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by haas0311 View Post
                    ...Impressive sir!

All I know is when I went to a heavier FOC arrow. When it hits the target. It makes a whole nother level of thwack!

Comment

I wouldn't worry with your setup at 70 yards.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
                        As the title says experts......so that will mean Gumbo Man and Curt need not comment.

Im trying to understand how far out I should take a shot on an elk if I get the opportunity in September. My arrow weight is 400gr with 12.9% FOC. My 29" DL at 64 lbs has the arrow leaving my bow at 275 fps and I have Iron Wills with either double or single bevel on the business end. Im comfortable shooting out to 100 yards (not sure I would at an elk) but it got me to thinking about how much KE I have down range and at what point would it be unethical to let one fly. Im hoping 60-70 yards is still doable given my set up. If not, I may have to do some last minute upgrading.
                        400 gr is the total weight of your set-up?

Comment

Your setup should be fine.

I shoot a similar setup, 433 grains at 276 fps and would have no issues shooting an elk at any distance I should be shooting at.

Im also in the camp that loves expandables. For elk I would use a 3 blade rage chisel tip.

Comment

Originally posted by Traildust View Post
                            400 gr is the total weight of your set-up?
                            Yes

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post

I would say you should be all right... not sure if you can but could you run 125 grains BH on the front and crank down the bow closer to 68#'s. I think I would feel more comfortable shooting a 425 grain arrow close to the same speed.

I shot my first Bull at 62 yards with a 425 grain arrow 16% FOC but it was around 298 FPS. Clipped the front shoulder and buried to the fletch.

Comment

Working...
                              X