Why Do You Speed?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why Do You Speed?

Yeah, serious question. Why do you speed?
    Back when I was stationed at Ft. Hood, I remember reading an article in the post newspaper that talked about speeding. So many soldiers were having wrecks due to being late for formation that the army did a study to show how speeding really saved no time or very little time as to make it not worth it.
    I’ve always remembered that.

A couple of years later, after I got out of the army, I got a ticket and not paying the fine (I tried but that’s a whole different story)a warrant was issued against me. Afraid of getting arrested, I tried to not bring attention to myself by getting pulled over so I started driving the speed limit. That was over 40 years ago. It became such a habit that I’m very comfortable driving the limit. I’m now a cruise control junkie.
    The peace of mind is wonderfully relaxing. No more panic braking. No constantly looking for da man. When I do see a cop I don’t even look at my speedometer cuz I know I’m good. These days it seems as though I’m the slowest driver around. I rarely pass anyone. Of course I swear that if I was doing 100 mph, someone would pass me up. Lol!
    I’ve also discovered, since becoming a GOF, that setting my cruise at the speed limit really pizzes people off. Gotta admit, I’m kinda getting a kick out of that. It’s a GOF’s prerogative.
    Now I will confess that my Harley has a mind of its own and really likes to cruise around 80. I try to hold her back but it’s hard.

So, long story long, why do you speed? Is it because you’re always late, impatient, love going fast, feel like you’re getting away with something?
    What’s you excuse.
    Just curious.

For the LEO’s, is it really breaking the law to speed or is it considered something else.
    Most people are pretty much law abiding citizens in most things except when it comes to the speed limit. Why is that?

I’m never late just impatient and hate traffic I guess

Comment

My excuse used to be impatience and wanting to get where I was going...especially to work or on long trips. Now as I've gotten older, I take my 5 extra (or less) and set the cruise. Plus driving my 01 F350 older vehicle for almost 20 years, I just developed a habit of not overworking the motor and all the parts. I carried that over to my new truck and don't speed heavily. I guess I'm in the beginning stages of GOF-dom..

Comment

Because I have places to be. I would rather spend time at the destination then in the car on the way.

Those studies, take some time and read them again. They often don't consider traffic. Prime example, assuming the speed limit is 55, if I go 5 mph faster than the guy next to me, 30 miles down the road I am just 2.5 miles ahead of him. Let's say at 30 miles down the road, there is a bottleneck. I am able to get to the bottleneck in traffic quicker. Along with a lot of people who also go ahead of speed limit guy. Now there are a lot more cars stacked up between us, and it takes him even longer than it took me to get through the bottleneck.

There is a massive savings in time by speeding once traffic is considered. There is a really good book on this called "Traffic: What is says about us" or something like that.

Comment

Because if you ain't first, you're last

Comment

Any type of speed cost money like tickets, wear and tear on your car, insurance or even the type you blow up your nose. I'm tight so I don't do any of it..........Any longer.

Comment

Speed limits are dumb for the most part...driving dangerously depending on your surroundings is the problem.

There was a dps in the slow lane going 70 a while back & several in the fast lane were scared to pass him & slowed to equal his speed even though the limit was 75...created a HUGE accordion bumper to bumper effect. Lotsa folks turn into idiots when they get behind the wheel.

Comment

I don’t speed. I follow the speed limit and use cruise control. I get passed all the time on the way to work, then once we get into town I’m right behind the guy that was driving like an idiot. You don’t save much time if any.
                Last edited by panhandlehunter; 07-21-2022, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Most my speeding comes on the hwy with light traffic. If traffic is light it's easy to run 80-90mph and not even notice how fast your going.

I have never been a speeder in heavy traffic, weaving in and out of traffic, or speed on residential streets.

Comment

stop holding everybody up for your enjoyment

Comment

I agree with Smart here. I used to....just because and on occassion because I was late. Now, I just set the cruise at 5-7 over and left people fly past me on the highway. I do hate the two semi's riding right next to each other for miles on end while cars stack up behind them. Also the person who does not know how to use their cruise control and passes me and gets in front of me and slows down and then I pass them, all the while never taking mine off cruise control. If that happens more than once or twice, I will hammer down and get far past them.

Comment

I don’t speed, because when I was a young man, I got 6 speeding tickets in 5 weeks. The JP decided he was going to get my attention and put me on 12 months probation. During that time if I got another ticket I would lose my license for 12 months. Working in the oilfield, I had to have a drivers license. That year of probation taught me to leave in plenty of time to get where I was going without speeding and to use my cruise.

Comment

In a bind

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I can’t drive 55…

Comment

It would get you shot in Houston and I am not kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X