Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 11-08-2021, 08:39 AM   #1
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere
Default Texas Tuna Safaris

Went on a trip with Dolphin Express. All you guys going to Venice and not catching a tuna should look into this. I’ve been on 5 or 6 trips and always catch at least 2 and that was just once. This trip I had horrible time with fish and had 14 hooked and landed 3. None were monsters but 50#-80# fish For the 3 I caught. I lost one in the screws after I had it up that would have been north of 125#. Biggest fish brought in was 141#. If you guys do go treat the crew well. The guys bust their tails, go without sleep, and do everything they can to help you catch fish including bringing tackle- Tip them well and shake their hands. They love to fish but it is also how they pay their bills

Last edited by glen; 11-08-2021 at 09:32 AM.
glen is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 08:42 AM   #2
glen
Pope & Young

Picture at end of trip. Matt and I. Matt has worked several trips Iíve been on and a great guy with a lot of knowledge
Attached Images

Old 11-08-2021, 11:55 AM   #3
Slew
Pope & Young

Hunt In: nowhere close to home

I hate TBH doesn't put that trip together anymore! I always said I was going to go on one and now that I can they don't do them anymore! Boo! Awesome trip BTW!
Slew is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 12:05 PM   #4
jnd1959
Ten Point

Hunt In: United States

Well, lets put one together. I know another forum where they do this regularly. I haven't fished with Dolphin Docks but since Captain James is no longer at Deep Sea I'm open to it.

It's late for this year unless we want to try drifting for wahoo in January. But I'm hunting Arizona then so that won't work for me. I'm up for next October/November.

Awesome trip. Congrats on the fish. I think I have one 80lb fish in me. But three or four 40lb ones would work well.
jnd1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 12:34 PM   #5
ATXBowhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction, TX

Curious - was this an overnight trip?
ATXBowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 01:10 PM   #6
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr County - Gillespie County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I hate TBH doesn't put that trip together anymore! I always said I was going to go on one and now that I can they don't do them anymore! Boo! Awesome trip BTW!
TBH didn't put it together - I started it and put it together.

And we still fish together as a group - the group got bigger.

2021 - This was an offseason - Back on track 2022

Glen - Ya'll had some seriously big fish blow thru at one period - when you got spooled on it's first run.

If one hits - there are several in that class on feed.

We had that happen before - same night - a fish in that 30 - 40 over 100 class was decked (130 class)?

I had one on that trip blow up and miss my bird, that was in the 150 plus class - on an MXL Raptor 2 - speed - not classed for that fish.

I was glad it missed.

And the trip where we all sat and stared with our mouths open, when Doug said, each jumping tuna sounds like someone was tossing refrigerators off of the oil platform, 80ft above the water (FULL fridge dropped free fall onto the Gulf).

That night, not one but dozens showed, all chasing and leaping out of the water, after flying fish. Water boiled stared at a distance at times - tuna blowing up with so many in the air, some two or three at the same time, on one single fleeing flying fish.

JURRASIC EXPERIENCE

Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-08-2021 at 01:14 PM.
AtTheWall is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 01:22 PM   #7
glen
Pope & Young

I will get two dates locked up for next year. I’ll go talk to them next week. I was thinking early a November and a trip December after Christmas or for the New Years. I’ll post up and get it put together and take deposits. Will be first 13 to send me a deposit. I’ll pay for the boat now and reserve it. I think we had 3 fish go over 100# on this trip. I’m guessing my 3 were in the 60#-70# range. We did horrible catching fish. We were landing one for every 7-8 hooked up on. Lots of tackle floating around out there today.
Old 11-08-2021, 01:27 PM   #8
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise Co.

Even this old weak azz poor excuse for a fisherman catches tuna with that outfit. They are a great experience.
Geezy Rider is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 01:28 PM   #9
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I will get two dates locked up for next year. Iíll go talk to them next week. I was thinking early a November and a trip December after Christmas or for the New Years. Iíll post up and get it put together and take deposits. Will be first 13 to send me a deposit. Iíll pay for the boat now and reserve it. I think we had 3 fish go over 100# on this trip. Iím guessing my 3 were in the 60#-70# range. We did horrible catching fish. We were landing one for every 7-8 hooked up on. Lots of tackle floating around out there today.
I'll send my son as his graduation gift from A&M. Let me know how much to send you and how to get it to you.
RiverRat1 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 01:30 PM   #10
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

A premier Pelagic Gamefish - they can and will - test your body and mind as the battle flat out - KICKS YOUR ARSE!

Old 11-08-2021, 01:52 PM   #11
Slew
Pope & Young

I have nothing right now in November or December of next year! Iíll send a couple deposits out now if thereís a date! Looks like the 16 person $980 trip is the one to go on from yíall stories!!
Old 11-08-2021, 01:59 PM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

They won’t be booking those trips for a couple weeks. I’ll go check in about two weeks. I’ll rent the entire boat for a couple trips. We will pay cash and cut price some.
Old 11-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #13
SaintBlaise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX

We had a trip of 5 off Venice a few weeks about with MG**. 42’ boat, all the bells and whistles. On the first hook up, two guys traded off on the reel, seems like they couldn’t make any headway. The tuna just kept taking line, 30 minutes later we can see the fish. Then he straightens the hook enough for the fish to get off, losing an 80#er. To me it looked like the drag was not on. When I finally got on one, I fought hard for 20 minutes, determined to put this one in the boat. I asked the captain to tighten the drag and he responded as if I shot a hole in the boat. I was really upset with this outfit and I have fished with them several times before, but not again. My tuna was the only one we landed, lost 4 others…I think all related to the drag. Rant over, chose wisely in Venice.
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 08:56 PM   #14
rjtkdplus
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Everywhere I can

Nice haul! Congrats!
rjtkdplus is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 09:07 PM   #15
jnd1959
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaintBlaise View Post
We had a trip of 5 off Venice a few weeks about with MG**. 42í boat, all the bells and whistles. On the first hook up, two guys traded off on the reel, seems like they couldnít make any headway. The tuna just kept taking line, 30 minutes later we can see the fish. Then he straightens the hook enough for the fish to get off, losing an 80#er. To me it looked like the drag was not on. When I finally got on one, I fought hard for 20 minutes, determined to put this one in the boat. I asked the captain to tighten the drag and he responded as if I shot a hole in the boat. I was really upset with this outfit and I have fished with them several times before, but not again. My tuna was the only one we landed, lost 4 othersÖI think all related to the drag. Rant over, chose wisely in Venice.
They do not like clients adjusting the drag. But when a return customer, who has demonstrated they know what there doing, a captain should at least test the drag. Specially if there hitting close.
Old 11-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #16
jnd1959
Ten Point

I've subscribed to the thread and will wait for the dates and deposit amount. I'm redesigning an old pen 6/0 with a bigger drag stack, double dogs, aluminum side plates and a steel post. I'm thinking of a tuberon frame for it or I may just cut my own. Just need to find a decent boat rod...
Old 11-08-2021, 09:21 PM   #17
SaintBlaise
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roosevelt, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnd1959 View Post

They do not like clients adjusting the drag. But when a return customer, who has demonstrated they know what there doing, a captain should at least test the drag. Specially if there hitting close.

What the Captain said after I asked him about the drag was, I paid a lot of money for these reels and let the drag do its job. However, I must have been the drag he was referring to. Iíve caught several tuna bigger than this, and landed them in half the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
SaintBlaise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 09:27 PM   #18
sp-bow
Ten Point

Hunt In: SHNF, MI

Maybe interested in going if the dates work. Thanks for putting this together Glen.
sp-bow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 09:42 PM   #19
mooney_ag
Ten Point

Hunt In: Erath & Tom Green Cty

Been eyeballing this since the thread from December 2019? Would love to go especially with some tbh vets. I would be in for three in December when you get dates. I’ll keep a close watch.
mooney_ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 09:44 PM   #20
waterdog
Pope & Young

move my boat out of Venice 2 years ago. not what it was in the hey days. lots of better places now for getting some t fish

Last edited by waterdog; 11-08-2021 at 09:49 PM.
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 09:47 PM   #21
TXJon
Ten Point

Definitely interested.
TXJon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 09:54 PM   #22
Mossback
Ten Point

Hunt In: Comal county

I got two total that would be gamers for this trip. Lemme know dates and cost. If dates work we are in
Mossback is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 11:06 PM   #23
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

There were some good fish in that haul! I'm looking forward to getting a trip or two going again. Always a great time!
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #24
stevieray54
Ten Point

Hunt In: Where ever

What other species of fish do you catch or strictly TUNA.. Interested
stevieray54 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-08-2021, 11:30 PM   #25
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieray54 View Post
What other species of fish do you catch or strictly TUNA.. Interested
Depends on the trip. While nighttime tuna fishing there will often be Mahi, Cuda, rainbow runners caught and other random stuff. Daytime might be trolling and that could be tuna, Wahoo, kings, or even marlin. We have also done a lot of bottom fishing for grouper, beeliners, and even deep dropped for tile fish. Just depends on how quick the boat gets a tuna limit since that is the priority. Glen said this trip was a struggle so all they did was tuna fish I think.
doug is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 05:35 AM   #26
glen
Pope & Young

Fish species is concentrate on Yellowfin. The original plan was everyone catch their YFT limit on night one then he was planning on the Flower Garden area to troll the remainder of daylight then drop for grouper and tiles. Well Captain did his job we just did not catch the fish we hooked. These fish were strange and would start to circle then do stuff like make a straight run under the boat or into the screws. We ended the first night with 15 fish on about 65 hookups. Second night we got a little better but I do remember having 7 on catching 1 and having 6 catching 1.

I’ll grab two dates next year. I’ll start a new thread and get lists on who is fishing.
Old 11-09-2021, 06:32 AM   #27
bow newby
Four Point

Interested
bow newby is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #28
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

2-Speed reels - two seperate drag setups - KEY.

Strike needs to be firm - no slack in the line when they hit a topwater - so the topwater bite requires technique to cast far enough into the dark zone with a drag setup to TAKE THAT EXPLOSIVE FIRST STRIKE WITH A TOPWATER.

Rigging sub-surface baits, no topwater, requires a firmer drag and that drag needs to adjust, based on the power felt on the fish. If they run 50 - 80lbs, you can get away with a lot more drag on the initial HIT, because the class of tuna on a 65 - 80lb braid, dictacts the drag pressure that must be applied, to counter the fish without tying the boat up, with a single fish, allowed to rip drag without additional pressures applied to CONTROL THE FISH AND IT'S ANGLE "HEAD UP" WITH POWER TO HOLD THAT HEAD UP, WHEN IT'S DEATH SPIRALING 100FT DOWN.

That last 100ft, with fish in the 100 plus class- require tremendous hold - to keep the head up and the angler must apply everything in that last 100ft zone, without letting the fish sit down there on a weak drag, feeling it can pull with a head shake - it's gonna spiral and catch a second wind, and it starts all over, as this fish regains blood/oxygen flow and hits that second wind.

I had one, that never stopped, running 600 yards of 65lb braid locked down on a drag that pushed 37lbs locked down, it was locked, and I tape a thumb for the spool - to add thumb drag and factor feel, rod blank flex, with the breaking point of the leader, classed below the breaking strength of the mainline.

Topwaters, I will cast 65lb, leaders are 50 - 80lb flouro, 25ft wind-on or a 50ft top shot of MONO (stretch), when having a long leader and super clear water, when offshore water turns PURPLE - Clear for 150ft down and then some - they see leaders in these super clear water conditions and the game of lowering below 50lb clear leaders becomes the only way, ,to score a lure or fake bait/cut bait bite.

They can and will become smart to setups that simply do not appear legit - like any visual feeder, they can become spooked, even when they are feeding wildly on live flying fish or baits, toss a topwater or run a stick bait thru there, they will track and turn off........

This has to be adjusted for, otherwise the entire boat becomes a basket case, as we try to figure out how to seal the deal when they are in that mood.

Hook a big fish, have that low speed setting setup solidly for a grind, drop that gear when the tuna finally goes vertical, and use the boat's movement, to help with your power lift to counter......spinning reels, you can't lay the foregrip on the rail, to help hold the rod without laying it down and resting - you have to hold it in the arms.

Conventional two-speed "CASTING REELS DESIGNED FOR PELAGICS AND SMALL BAITS" are the norm, for Texas class tuna - and having that reel on top of the blank, we build rods that provide that RAIL ROD CUSHION, so the angler can lay that foregrip down on the rail, time the boat's movement on it's uplift stroke, to add more pressure with your efforts to lift and hold that head in an UPWARD ANGLE, as it spins below, full of energy. The longer a tuna spirals below the boat, holding a looser drag, it will bump against the line, feeling where the drag breaks, it will sit there and spin recharging in circles, you are stuck, then at 100ft, he starts another 500 plus ft down dive and the odds of where you are on the boat, you better be on the bow or stern before it decides to make a run either around the boat and or straight down and away toward the oil platform and or running wild with other lines out, everyone is trying to hook following fish, and the deck circus begins - as we run between lines and others, all trying to stay out of the way.

We don't pull in with a fish hooked up, there are times we have had upwards of 7 fish hooked all at the same time, literally half the boat, engaged with all mixing with the chaos and leaning on 3 deck hands and two captains for boat handling, gaffs, tagging and labeling fish, deck is awash with blood everywhere with tuna thumping the decks everywhere.

We come in with 4000lbs plus, of prime AHI tuna, iced as well as the other species caught.

Marlin, Swordfish, 15ft long Humbolt Squids, sharks (huge Makos) Mahi, Amberjacks, Barracuda, Rainbow runners, Wahoo, Blackfin tuna (no limits) - coupled with bottom fishing for Barrel and Tilefish, if we an nail our tuna limit quickly.

Some of our best bottom trips made, are off Padre Island National Seashore in 120 - 250ft of water on the rocks, many of them some of the old fossil serpulid reefs, that are the same fossilized rock formations, so known for big specks in Baffin Bay. So we fish these reefs in waters, not targeted by the Commercial offshore fleets out of Port A and or Port I.

Glen's son scored a 110lb Cubera Snapper, fishing in this zone, fish aged 80 years old and is worldclass by this species standard, anywhere in the world these fish are found.

Blue fin Tuna also, are part of the mix, in this zone everyyear, as they breed and winter in the NW Gulf.

710lb bluefin was decked this year, by one of our TBH group fishing friends, who caught the last Bluefin in the GOF for 2021. 5 fish is the total GULF Limit, they hooked that last fish and hauled it into Port A.

So thru the last few years, some of us have worked hard, with expanding our opportunities with the skills applied, to catch a wide range of pelagics.

Basically the boat becomes a private offshore troll, drift and casting platform, as we share an offshore campfire on a metal boat, living for days, all engaged with fishing as a team, for all the marbles.

And everyone of us have so much fish - canning, processing and the entire process, has become another element in the gear and coordination, to process highly perishable and HIGH DOLLAR FILETS.

Literally you come in with pounds upon pounds of prime grade A AHI - with the loins pushing 32 bucks per pound.

So if you love POKE and SUSHI and canning and tuna steaks - the family wins!

Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-09-2021 at 10:04 AM.
Old 11-09-2021, 11:58 AM   #29
jnd1959
Ten Point

I've fished from boats with rails and without. I'm too old to fish without one. Records be ****ed.

I'm thinking of getting a 2 speed. Or building one. That would be a major undertaking but there are plans on the interweb. Maybe this 6/0 could be a two speed...
Old 11-09-2021, 11:59 AM   #30
jnd1959
Ten Point

Glen, sorry I hijacked your post. You may shoot me in the vital organ of your choice.
Old 11-09-2021, 01:28 PM   #31
oneeye
Eight Point

Rob, I so want to go fishing with you some day. The stories you type are great and the ones told in person are over the top!!!!
oneeye is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 02:42 PM   #32
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Itís ok I guess

Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 08:07 PM   #33
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
Itís ok I guess

Yeah you did ok, I guess.

Old 11-09-2021, 08:24 PM   #34
Wits_End
Ten Point

Did y'all call?

I still dream of those nights. Best group of fishing guys you could ever imagine. Couldn't even open a beer after the 1 hr fight. That's fishing!
Wits_End is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 08:32 PM   #35
yaqui
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eastland Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtTheWall View Post
2-Speed reels - two seperate drag setups - KEY.

Strike needs to be firm - no slack in the line when they hit a topwater - so the topwater bite requires technique to cast far enough into the dark zone with a drag setup to TAKE THAT EXPLOSIVE FIRST STRIKE WITH A TOPWATER.

Rigging sub-surface baits, no topwater, requires a firmer drag and that drag needs to adjust, based on the power felt on the fish. If they run 50 - 80lbs, you can get away with a lot more drag on the initial HIT, because the class of tuna on a 65 - 80lb braid, dictacts the drag pressure that must be applied, to counter the fish without tying the boat up, with a single fish, allowed to rip drag without additional pressures applied to CONTROL THE FISH AND IT'S ANGLE "HEAD UP" WITH POWER TO HOLD THAT HEAD UP, WHEN IT'S DEATH SPIRALING 100FT DOWN.

That last 100ft, with fish in the 100 plus class- require tremendous hold - to keep the head up and the angler must apply everything in that last 100ft zone, without letting the fish sit down there on a weak drag, feeling it can pull with a head shake - it's gonna spiral and catch a second wind, and it starts all over, as this fish regains blood/oxygen flow and hits that second wind.

I had one, that never stopped, running 600 yards of 65lb braid locked down on a drag that pushed 37lbs locked down, it was locked, and I tape a thumb for the spool - to add thumb drag and factor feel, rod blank flex, with the breaking point of the leader, classed below the breaking strength of the mainline.

Topwaters, I will cast 65lb, leaders are 50 - 80lb flouro, 25ft wind-on or a 50ft top shot of MONO (stretch), when having a long leader and super clear water, when offshore water turns PURPLE - Clear for 150ft down and then some - they see leaders in these super clear water conditions and the game of lowering below 50lb clear leaders becomes the only way, ,to score a lure or fake bait/cut bait bite.

They can and will become smart to setups that simply do not appear legit - like any visual feeder, they can become spooked, even when they are feeding wildly on live flying fish or baits, toss a topwater or run a stick bait thru there, they will track and turn off........

This has to be adjusted for, otherwise the entire boat becomes a basket case, as we try to figure out how to seal the deal when they are in that mood.

Hook a big fish, have that low speed setting setup solidly for a grind, drop that gear when the tuna finally goes vertical, and use the boat's movement, to help with your power lift to counter......spinning reels, you can't lay the foregrip on the rail, to help hold the rod without laying it down and resting - you have to hold it in the arms.

Conventional two-speed "CASTING REELS DESIGNED FOR PELAGICS AND SMALL BAITS" are the norm, for Texas class tuna - and having that reel on top of the blank, we build rods that provide that RAIL ROD CUSHION, so the angler can lay that foregrip down on the rail, time the boat's movement on it's uplift stroke, to add more pressure with your efforts to lift and hold that head in an UPWARD ANGLE, as it spins below, full of energy. The longer a tuna spirals below the boat, holding a looser drag, it will bump against the line, feeling where the drag breaks, it will sit there and spin recharging in circles, you are stuck, then at 100ft, he starts another 500 plus ft down dive and the odds of where you are on the boat, you better be on the bow or stern before it decides to make a run either around the boat and or straight down and away toward the oil platform and or running wild with other lines out, everyone is trying to hook following fish, and the deck circus begins - as we run between lines and others, all trying to stay out of the way.

We don't pull in with a fish hooked up, there are times we have had upwards of 7 fish hooked all at the same time, literally half the boat, engaged with all mixing with the chaos and leaning on 3 deck hands and two captains for boat handling, gaffs, tagging and labeling fish, deck is awash with blood everywhere with tuna thumping the decks everywhere.

We come in with 4000lbs plus, of prime AHI tuna, iced as well as the other species caught.

Marlin, Swordfish, 15ft long Humbolt Squids, sharks (huge Makos) Mahi, Amberjacks, Barracuda, Rainbow runners, Wahoo, Blackfin tuna (no limits) - coupled with bottom fishing for Barrel and Tilefish, if we an nail our tuna limit quickly.

Some of our best bottom trips made, are off Padre Island National Seashore in 120 - 250ft of water on the rocks, many of them some of the old fossil serpulid reefs, that are the same fossilized rock formations, so known for big specks in Baffin Bay. So we fish these reefs in waters, not targeted by the Commercial offshore fleets out of Port A and or Port I.

Glen's son scored a 110lb Cubera Snapper, fishing in this zone, fish aged 80 years old and is worldclass by this species standard, anywhere in the world these fish are found.

Blue fin Tuna also, are part of the mix, in this zone everyyear, as they breed and winter in the NW Gulf.

710lb bluefin was decked this year, by one of our TBH group fishing friends, who caught the last Bluefin in the GOF for 2021. 5 fish is the total GULF Limit, they hooked that last fish and hauled it into Port A.

So thru the last few years, some of us have worked hard, with expanding our opportunities with the skills applied, to catch a wide range of pelagics.

Basically the boat becomes a private offshore troll, drift and casting platform, as we share an offshore campfire on a metal boat, living for days, all engaged with fishing as a team, for all the marbles.

And everyone of us have so much fish - canning, processing and the entire process, has become another element in the gear and coordination, to process highly perishable and HIGH DOLLAR FILETS.

Literally you come in with pounds upon pounds of prime grade A AHI - with the loins pushing 32 bucks per pound.

So if you love POKE and SUSHI and canning and tuna steaks - the family wins!
This guy knows a thing or two about what he is talking about. I'd love to go on one of these trips.
yaqui is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 08:46 PM   #36
BigDraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma, Texas & Colorado

It was an awesome and grueling trip. Definitely would go again
BigDraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 09:15 PM   #37
glen
Pope & Young

I talked to them the other day. Said she may put out schedule in about 2 weeks. I’ll keep everyone posted
Old 11-09-2021, 10:39 PM   #38
SKLOSS
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where the deer live

Does dolphin docks provide suitable tackle for this trip?

SKLOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-09-2021, 10:42 PM   #39
SabineHunter
Banned!!!

Hunt In: Sabine National Forest

Glen, I am definitely interested
SabineHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2021, 01:40 AM   #40
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

I have always wanted to go on a trip like this, but have heard bad stories about people getting out there and having a terrible case of sea sick. That far out you are stuck. Any input on the risk of getting sea sick?
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2021, 06:39 AM   #41
Sparkles
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezy Rider View Post
Yeah you did ok, I guess.

I think that was my first yft ever

Howís it going Geoffro?

Sparkles is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2021, 05:08 PM   #42
glen
Pope & Young

There will be tackle. The guys that work the boat will have a few and we have plenty rods/reels. I’ll probably have everyone chip in $30 or so and buy a couple cases of Frenzy Flyers. Figure out if it’s for you before you buy anything and don’t buy one you think will work.

Sea sick. Can’t help you there I’m fortunate. Some folks do get sick, some wear patches, some take meds.
Old 11-10-2021, 09:11 PM   #43
W-O
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hilda, Tx

Have wanted to do this for years and I am very interested.
W-O is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2021, 09:25 PM   #44
Drop Tine
Ten Point

There are few things I’ve experienced that are more fun than catching YFT. I just need some dates to put it on the books.
Drop Tine is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-10-2021, 10:53 PM   #45
Geezy Rider
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkles View Post
I think that was my first yft ever

Howís it going Geoffro?

Iím doing great buddy. Just a little older and crankier.
Old 11-11-2021, 12:16 AM   #46
jnd1959
Ten Point

The first time I went yft fishing we stopped to catch bait. I was worried that we didn't have enough. By the time tuna #5 came on board I was hoping we were out of bait. If I didn't move my arms my biceps would cramp up. I learned a lot about using your legs more and arms less on that trip.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:22 AM   #47
Slew
Pope & Young

I wonder if a gallon of shucked oysters and a pound of minnows would last 56hrs on a boat?
Old 11-11-2021, 07:38 PM   #48
glen
Pope & Young

Slew. I’m thinking of bringing a sack next trip.
Old 11-11-2021, 07:46 PM   #49
AtTheWall
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by slew View Post
i wonder if a gallon of shucked oysters and a pound of minnows would last 56hrs on a boat?

son!!!!!
Old 11-11-2021, 08:09 PM   #50
Rubi513
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Walker County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slew View Post
I wonder if a gallon of shucked oysters and a pound of minnows would last 56hrs on a boat?
You have peaked my interestÖ

I am down if yíall need a spot to fill.
Rubi513 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top