Scope Rings - What makes a good ring?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have always heard people say "Get good rings" and never really know what that means. Go to Cabelas website and you'll find rings from 30 bucks to 200+ from major brands, Leupold etc... What difference does it actually make? I would assume from a well-known brand, quality will be throughout the product line.

Probably boils down to tighter tolerances and the precision when made on the rings that are north of $100. The truer they are to each other and the more surface contact they make with the scope itself, the less chance there is of the scope shifting or getting bumped off. One less thing to worry about when you’re out in the field.
    Last edited by BobbyJoe; 10-22-2021, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Mainly comes down to the quality of machining and how tight the tolerances are. Many cheaper rings are not going to be completely concentric and will not make full contact with your scope tube. Quality rings, such as Seekins, ARC, Nightforce, etc, are held to much higher standards and do not need to be lapped. The vast majority of hunters taking shots within 100 yards will probably never know the difference, but I want to be able to beat on my rifle and not have to worry about losing zero. The extra $50-75 for quality rings is worth it to me to not have to worry about it. Especially when you're talking about a high end rifle with $2000 glass on top.

Comment

Really good question. I spend the extra dollars but have no idea what measurements to make to insure I am getting value for my money. I had learned a lot about scope mounting and installation about the same time I started spending more money for rings. I would bet the mounting and installation had more to do with a quality system than expense of the rings. I do not know because I have never went back to cheaper rings.

Comment

Thanks for the responses! So far im hearing that its all about the machining standards for tolerance etc... We are in the 21st centry where technology has come a long way. For companies that aren't strictly high-end and produce the cheaper rings, do you really think there's THAT much difference? Say we are comparing a 30 dollar set of Leupold rings to a 100 set of Leupold rings? I'm somewhat in the boat as PlanoDano where the actual mounting itself seems to be the most important part of the process.

Comment

I’ve seen cheaper rings split at the screw holes without over torquing them after extended periods of time. I can’t imagine why someone would want to risk all of that to save $50. There’s several good options, although not fancy, at $80-100. Seekins it the minimum for me, but Burris and Vortex Pro rings are both quality options for less money without breaking the bank.

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
              Thanks for the responses! So far im hearing that its all about the machining standards for tolerance etc... We are in the 21st centry where technology has come a long way. For companies that aren't strictly high-end and produce the cheaper rings, do you really think there's THAT much difference? Say we are comparing a 30 dollar set of Leupold rings to a 100 set of Leupold rings? I'm somewhat in the boat as PlanoDano where the actual mounting itself seems to be the most important part of the process.
              The quality of the mounting process is definitely important.
              You can buy the most expensive rings out there, but mount them wrong or sloppy and put everything in a bind

Comment

concentricity, tolerances, and how they're machined ... lots of quality rings out there. Likewise there are lost of Chinese copied trash on the market

big fan of Kelbly products - their scope rings (pairs) are machined side x side for greater precision
                [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Yqmw1MXGs"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Yqmw1MXGs[/ame]

Comment

cheap but very well made. Get's the job done and these are the first I've saw with 3 screws on each side!
                  I like them anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                    https://www.amazon.com/Thorn-Scope-R...ef_=ast_sto_dp

cheap but very well made. Get's the job done and these are the first I've saw with 3 screws on each side!
                    I like them anyway.

Is that Velcro on the inside of those??? [emoji33]

Last edited by Raider4044; 10-22-2021, 12:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
                      concentricity, tolerances, and how they're machined ... lots of quality rings out there. Likewise there are lost of Chinese copied trash on the market

big fan of Kelbly products - their scope rings (pairs) are machined side x side for greater precision
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Yqmw1MXGs

I didn’t know they made rings. Cool.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I recently purchased my first set of ARC rings and ooooooffff they are extremely nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                          Is that Velcro on the inside of those??? [emoji32]
                          no it is not. Just non-slip tape. I didn't see it as a need though.

Comment

Originally posted by tdwinklr View Post
                            no it is not. Just non-slip tape. I didn't see it as a need though.
                            The fact that the company thinks they need non-slip tape inside the rings wasn't a red flag to their manufacturing standards? lol

Comment

Originally posted by Raider4044 View Post
                              The fact that the company thinks they need non-slip tape inside the rings wasn't a red flag to their manufacturing standards? lol
                              Yeah all the super cheap rings come with that in there. LOL
                              Stay away from that junk

Comment

Working...
                              X