Eye dominance issue…

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eye dominance issue…

Trying to help my buddy, he is left eye/hand dominant but was taught from early on to shoot right handed so that’s what he’s always done. Can shoot a rifle extremely well, but struggles with shotgun and archery. He does not want to “relearn” to shoot left handed which means buying a left handed bow.

I’m wanting to try the eye patch trick to cover the left eye while shooting right handed, forcing the right eye to do the work. Any other suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot everything with both eyes open. Shotgun, bow, or rifle. May be worth playing around with.

I started having issues with my bow after i started wearing glasses. The frame of my glasses were in the way when trying to anchor as usual, side of lip. Instead, had to learn to anchor 2-3" right, under my cheek bone which turned my face towards target allowing me to utilize both eyes and look through my lenses cleanly. Took some getting used to but shooting great ever since.

Comment

Patch is the only thing I know of. My wife is right handed and left eye dominant. We put a small square of scotch tape on her shooting glasses and it helps with the shotgun. She just closes her left eye with rifle, pistol and bow. If your buddy is left eye dominant and left handed the best thing in my opinion is for him to train himself to shoot left handed. Initial investment will be steep but will be better in long run.

Comment

I was right handed and left eye dominant for 2 decades. I initially learned to shoot with a left handed bow. Eye dominance switched and I found it easy to shoot a right handed bow. Bowhunting is the only thing I can do with both hands.

Comment

Im the same way and just close my left eye for my compound, im considering switching to left hand though. Everyone ive talked to that has done it highly recommends it.

Comment

I relearned to shoot lefty. Made shooting fun.

Archery is hard enough without tricking your dominant eye.

Comment

My son is same way with right hand dominance and left eye dominance. I tried lefty for him but it wasn’t natural. We ended up using an eye patch so he can keep both eyes open which he does under the patch and that helps him keep his head upright and look through right eye instead of trying to lean over through the peep.

Tried a costume patch first to see if it worked and his form corrected almost immediately. Later bought a medical patch that had better bands on it. he went from hopefully in the target to now he is able to really enjoy the shots and has done well at some 3d events

Comment

Originally posted by kyleseipp View Post
                My son is same way with right hand dominance and left eye dominance. I tried lefty for him but it wasn’t natural.. . .
                Of course it isn’t natural (yet). But the best time to switch is when he is young.
                Start with a light bow and work up.
                I started with a light recurve. Immediately I shot better

Comment

Why the eye patch? Why not just close his left eye? I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot everything with my left eye closed, seems to work fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

A friend was right handed and left eye dominant. He missed a deer because he forgot to close his left eye in low light and decided right then he was going to learn to shoot left handed. We went to the shop and bought a lefty bow. Only took him a couple of sessions to get fairly comfortable and his shooting improved dramatically with both eyes open. After a couple of months, he went from pretty average to very good and even won some 3d shoots.

I know you said he doesn't want to switch, but imo it would be well worth it. I try to get all my NASP archers who are cross dominant (it's pretty common) to switch and the ones who listen and switch always outperform the ones who don't by a wide margin.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have tried to shoot left handed but couldn’t get comfortable with it. To add another layer is I can’t close one eye (wink) so I have to wear an eye patch. It sucks but is the best option I have found. Been doing this for over 25 years this way.

Comment

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        Of course it isn’t natural (yet). But the best time to switch is when he is young.

Start with a light bow and work up.

I started with a light recurve. Immediately I shot better
                        Yup. Agreed - I had a left hand and right hand Genesis for him setup identically. He's been shooting for about 4 years but we always came back to comfort and natural feel was drawing from the right side and holding anchor to his right side. He was miles better right handed.

So that said op, if your buddy wants to try a lefty Genesis I got you!

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by ElPescador24 View Post
                          Why the eye patch? Why not just close his left eye? I'm right handed but left eye dominant. I shoot everything with my left eye closed, seems to work fine for me.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                          The patch allowed him to keep both eyes open which is how he shoots , thinking that over time he will get better at holding his left eye shut.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

If he wears glasses out a piece of scotch tape on the left lens. It will blur the vision in his left eye but allow him to keep both eyes open.

Use safety/shooting glasses if he doesn’t wear prescription lenses

Comment

Working...
                            X