Wet foundation issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wet foundation issue

I had some vinyl plank installed almost 2 years ago and it began to bow up at the joints. I pulled up a small area and found water under the flooring. No a little, there were puddles of water and you could sell the moisture as soon as I started pulling up the floor.

I have no roof leaks or pipe leaks and the water was basically in the entryway and the living room area. There was no moisture visible anywhere within 2-3 feet from the walls so I don't think its getting in through the weep holes or anything. The house had prior foundation repair before I bought it and there doesn't appear to be any new issues, no cracks anywhere and all doors open and close freely.

I had my sewer pipes tested yesterday and they found no leaks. I had assumed there may be a leak since the clean out is almost a straight shot out from the house where the middle of the wet area is.

Has anyone every dealt with a issue similar. My plan now is to contact a foundation company. I know they busted a hole through the concrete outside the front door because there's a patch there. Could they have not put enough dirt back in and it settled down and no water has filled that void under the house causing the issue?

Slab foundation? Maybe it was poured without a vapor barrier?

Comment

We did and the contractor who poured the slab didn’t put down a vapor barrier prior to laying cement. Basically the temperature difference inside/out with high humidity caused it to sweat like a glass of iced tea.

Micheal

Comment

Find out where your water lines are at. Maybe it's a leaking water line.

Comment

Originally posted by mikemorvan View Post
          Slab foundation? Maybe it was poured without a vapor barrier?
          It is a slab foundation. I don't know if it was poured with a vapor barrier. I don't have this issue anywhere else in the house, so i would assume it does have a vapor barrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos Hunter View Post
            We did and the contractor who poured the slab didn’t put down a vapor barrier prior to laying cement. Basically the temperature difference inside/out with high humidity caused it to sweat like a glass of iced tea.

Micheal
            What type of flooring do you have in your house?

Comment

My son is having the exact same issue at his house. The house had prior foundation work before they bought it. They have had all the pipes tested and still not found the problem. It's not constant so being hard to nail down for them too

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post
                Find out where your water lines are at. Maybe it's a leaking water line.
                My water lines are in the walls.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliff Dog View Post
                  My son is having the exact same issue at his house. The house had prior foundation work before they bought it. They have had all the pipes tested and still not found the problem. It's not constant so being hard to nail down for them too
                  Well ****. I guess we'll have bare floors until I can get this figured out. What are they doing for flooring?

Comment

I had the same problem in an older house. The house originally had saltillo tile and the tile and grout breathed enough that the moisture problem wasn't noticeable. When we put down bamboo flooring over the saltillo, the bamboo flooring started buckling and rotting. I ended up removing the bamboo and saltillo. After that I had an epoxy concrete coating applied by a contractor that does commercial concrete coatings. We installed engineered wood flooring after that and never had any additional problems.

Comment

Vinyl plank should not swell sitting in water. Heat can make them swell if enough expansion room wasn't left at the walls. Does this area that is wet catch a lot sun sometime during the day? Was a vapor barrier installed over the concrete before the floor went down? It could be condensing because of sunlight I guess.

Comment

Right now they have the flooring pulled up trying to find the issue.

Comment

There was saltillo tile in the room when they moved in and they replaced it with wood flooring so it makes sense that the tile was allowing the moisture to escape

Comment

Originally posted by Txhunter3000 View Post
                            Vinyl plank should not swell sitting in water. Heat can make them swell if enough expansion room wasn't left at the walls. Does this area that is wet catch a lot sun sometime during the day? Was a vapor barrier installed over the concrete before the floor went down? It could be condensing because of sunlight I guess.
                            There was no vapor barrier installed and that spot doesn’t get sunlight at all.

Comment

Chip up the old patch and dig around to see if there is a vapor barrier under the slab

This is a process of elimination, and you are on the right track

Comment

Working...
                              X