No announcement yet.

Need input Building a new detached garage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

More electrical outlets…. Add them to the ceiling for drop cords.
    Water faucets on all sides
    If you anticipate a lift, or overhead crane… pour the footers
    Gas line under that big *** porch

Comment

Add an outlet and plumbing for a decent compressor. I went with a Flezxilla 80 gal because they have the silencer. That thing is a god-send if you're putting the compressor inside your shop. Looks like you're enclosing yours outside so it'll be really quiet at that point. If you get it from OReillys, you can usually get a hose reel for free from corporate and if you really push your luck, you might be able to get hose connection ends thrown in by the store. They don't sell many so if a store sees that a few connectors will seal the deal, they'll make it happen.

The Flexzilla uses an Eaton compressor, and it turns out Eaton has the Polar Air brand of air compressors that are also silenced and look pretty similar to the Flexzilla when it comes to all the parts and tank used. You can pick up a Polar Air for about $1,000 less than the Flezxilla.

Will the doors be motor driven? If so, have them all wired to one switch in addition to thier individual switches.

Think about cooling and heating. My shop has hanging electric heaters that work beautifully with swamp cooler for the summer. 1 cooler per bay. Probably about 6 - 8 heaters would work for that shop. If you're not doing heaters then look into the "Big A.S.S. Fans"
      Last edited by Lost10mm; 09-27-2022, 11:01 PM.

Comment

I have a washer and dryer in my shop and usd it all the time especially when coming back from an rv trip.

Comment

What width are those doors ?
          Is that 2x6 or 2x8 walls?

Comment

I put a cupola on top of mine and mounted a large exhaust fan in it. I only have one overhead door and one walk through door. When I open them and turn on the fan, it makes quite a breeze in the doorways. It moves enough air that I can use a gas-powered welder inside without worry of carbon monoxide poisoning.

My only regret was not putting in either a lube pit or some sort of safe room to go when there is a tornado in the area. The lube pit would get used several times a year and would make vehicle maintenance a lot easier. It could double as a safe space in bad weather. A safe room could double as a great lock-up for guns and ammo.

Mine has a footprint of 50' x 50'. Twelve feet of one side is under roof but otherwise open. I probably spend half of my outdoor time in that area. We have a picnic table at one end and a few chairs. The other end gets used for parking my errand car or for working on projects out in the breeze. It is, by far, my favorite place to spend time.
            Last edited by 60 Deluxe; 09-28-2022, 03:39 AM.

Comment

Overhead crane/ hoist. I use mine, pulling the 5th wheel out of my truck, generator, lawn mower,etc.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                Hard to tell the roof height but if it's tall enough put a loft in the attic space with a permanent staircase to access it. You may have to change your roofline but you will not regret an easy access storage loft.
                100%. I put a window there too for natural light.

I have a 40x50 x 14. I put big doors on opposite sides so I could pull thru.
                Not sure your lot /homesite works for that but what a convenience.
                I prepared mine for plumbing. Always nice to have option of a sink / bathroom.
                I wish I had added tall shelves hung from rafters on each side.
                Last edited by Big pig; 09-28-2022, 04:55 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Fooser View Post
                  More electrical outlets…. Add them to the ceiling for drop cords.
                  Water faucets on all sides
                  If you anticipate a lift, or overhead crane… pour the footers
                  Gas line under that big *** porch
                  The gas line is a great idea. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost10mm View Post
                    Add an outlet and plumbing for a decent compressor. I went with a Flezxilla 80 gal because they have the silencer. That thing is a god-send if you're putting the compressor inside your shop. Looks like you're enclosing yours outside so it'll be really quiet at that point. If you get it from OReillys, you can usually get a hose reel for free from corporate and if you really push your luck, you might be able to get hose connection ends thrown in by the store. They don't sell many so if a store sees that a few connectors will seal the deal, they'll make it happen.

The Flexzilla uses an Eaton compressor, and it turns out Eaton has the Polar Air brand of air compressors that are also silenced and look pretty similar to the Flexzilla when it comes to all the parts and tank used. You can pick up a Polar Air for about $1,000 less than the Flezxilla.

Will the doors be motor driven? If so, have them all wired to one switch in addition to thier individual switches.

Think about cooling and heating. My shop has hanging electric heaters that work beautifully with swamp cooler for the summer. 1 cooler per bay. Probably about 6 - 8 heaters would work for that shop. If you're not doing heaters then look into the "Big A.S.S. Fans"

I’ll check out that compressor.

The doors are motor driven. I’ll be using jackshaft openers for each.

The big fan sounds awesome. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by RWB View Post
                      I have a washer and dryer in my shop and usd it all the time especially when coming back from an rv trip.
                      Great idea for the washer and dryer.

Originally posted by Dave W View Post
                      What width are those doors ?
                      Is that 2x6 or 2x8 walls?
                      Overhead Doors are 12’ wide x 14’ tall.

Walls are 2x6.

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                        I put a cupola on top of mine and mounted a large exhaust fan in it. I only have one overhead door and one walk through door. When I open them and turn on the fan, it makes quite a breeze in the doorways. It moves enough air that I can use a gas-powered welder inside without worry of carbon monoxide poisoning.

My only regret was not putting in either a lube pit or some sort of safe room to go when there is a tornado in the area. The lube pit would get used several times a year and would make vehicle maintenance a lot easier. It could double as a safe space in bad weather. A safe room could double as a great lock-up for guns and ammo.

Mine has a footprint of 50' x 50'. Twelve feet of one side is under roof but otherwise open. I probably spend half of my outdoor time in that area. We have a picnic table at one end and a few chairs. The other end gets used for parking my errand car or for working on projects out in the breeze. It is, by far, my favorite place to spend time.
                        I really like the safe room idea. Thank you.

Originally posted by smokeless View Post
                        Overhead crane/ hoist. I use mine, pulling the 5th wheel out of my truck, generator, lawn mower,etc.
                        Thank you. Could probably be used to skin an animal out too.

Originally posted by Big pig View Post
                        100%. I put a window there too for natural light.

I have a 40x50 x 14. I put big doors on opposite sides so I could pull thru.
                        Not sure your lot /homesite works for that but what a convenience.
                        I prepared mine for plumbing. Always nice to have option of a sink / bathroom.
                        I wish I had added tall shelves hung from rafters on each side.
                        I wish I could have a pull through. But my yard just doesn’t allow for it. We have a 6’x40’ mezzanine on one side for storage.

Comment

A couple of adds to above great ideas... I built about your size which was already bigger than I thought I needed. I wish I'd gone bigger now. I guess it's kind of like buying a tractor, lol. If it's in the budget, go both deeper and wider. Mine isn't climate controlled and it gets REALLY hot in the summers. I have smart openers and smart sockets connected to some big azz fans and it really cuts the heat especially when I open back side and front facing. The doors auto open/close and fans auto on/off as well as remote control by smartphone. The loft is a good idea -- I have one. Part of the reason why I wish I'd gone bigger was I built a a 12x16 room inside my garage and it is fully climate controlled. My loft is on top of that. I keep a big safe, fridge, costco-sized stuff, animal feed, ammo, and a few other perishables or easy to damage things in there so that humidity and heat don't tear them up.
                          Last edited by ken800; 09-28-2022, 06:02 AM.

Comment

you might consider moving those columns to the center, pretty much where your ridges tie and running them front to back.
                            This way you can beam it front to back, run joists side to side, and cut your spans to 20' instead of 25'.

Comment

I noticed others talking about using an overhead reel for you air compressor line. You may also want to look into plumbing lines and having fittings near on either side of the doors to allow you to hook-up a little easier without having to mess with lines getting stuck around tires as you go around the rv. I think both options have their pros and cons but might be worth considering. Either way, congrats on the new garage. Should be a cool project

Comment

I would add a large basin SS sink and SS sideboard table (or one large SS table w/ deep basin sink) outside of the bathroom, for washing up larger items or even cleaning up game / quartering deer etc. or a food prep area if you are going to do any outdoor cooking on the porch. I'd probably put a garbage disposal beneath the sink. On demand water heater for sink and bathroom, especially if you're adding the shower.

On the porch, I'd pipe a gas line with a couple of takeoff valves on each stretch (side and back) for gas grill, flattop grill, outdoor heaters. Gas lamps on the porch columns would be a cool feature too.

I love spending other people's money.

Comment

Working...
                                X