Box blind build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Box blind build

We are headed into our fourth year hunting my grandmothers place since she passed. All the estate stuff is finally complete, and we own the place free and clear since the spring. Time to make meaningful improvements.

After three years of brush blinds, and having a set of five year old twins, it seemed reasonable to build a multi-person box.

We tried to use mostly stuff from around the ranch. Grandma was a hoarder, and we also took down a car port and a porch that had been attached to her mobile home. Lots of 2x6, and some treated 4x4.

We built a 4” by 8” floor frame out of 2x6, set on a pair of treated 4x4 skids. The floor is a piece of 3/4” plywood from out of the barn. One of our specific goals was to make everything in even 4 foot sections to maximize material and minimize the amount or cutting.

Once the floor was built, we put it on pipe rollers on top of our small trailer, so that we wouldn’t have to pick it up to get it on there once it was all heavy.

Because TBH says so, I went with the Dearview windows. I ordered five of the 12 x 36 windows about six weeks ago, but they aren’t in yet. Fortunately they have rough in instructions, so we went ahead and built. I’ll put the windows in when I get them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I waited all summer for the cost of plywood to go down, and it did a tiny bit. We bought sheets of nominal five eights siding for about $42 each.

One thing we did that I think is gonna be good that you really can’t see on the pictures, because we had so many two by sixes we put a 2 x 6 shooting rail all the way around at window height. Every window has the 6” wide sill for a shooting rest.

We did execute successfully, and we did not have to cut any width off of any of the six pieces of siding.

We set the roof for 1/12 pitch.

We built the floor this spring, and started on the rest this weekend. This was the end of day one.

Comment

Day two was the door framing and fitting. I had a set of house hinges, so we used all three. We framed and back to the door, so it shouldn’t warp.

Standard farm style flip latch, and my mom suggested an antler door handle.

This was our stopping point prior to transport. We had some pieces of 16 ft R panel. we cut them in half, with the intent to have a 2 foot overhang on each side. Again, maximizing the material and minimizing the cuts. We decided to take it out to the pasture before we put the roof on, to keep it from being 8 feet wide as we pulled it potentially through trees.

We tied it to the trailer, and I rode back there under the pretense that I could’ve actually held it if it started to roll. It went surprisingly well.

We backed into place in the chosen spot. We set the blocks for one side and then rolled it until it tipped down under the blocks. Then we drove the trailer forward until we could drop it onto the second set of blocks. surprisingly it went exactly as planned and nobody got hurt.

I forgot to mention the white paint. My parents brought some green for us to use, but it had ruined and the only other paint we could find was of about a half a quart of white primer. The five year olds really really really wanted to paint, so we let them paint the white on to the stand. We will paint it green next trip.

Comment

Roofing time.

And all done for the day, except that we also trimmed some brush so we could see out of it better.

Comment

Looks good Jason. Let me make a suggestion. When you get your windows installed build shelves above the windows for your accessories like kids snacks, binos etc.

Comment

Next trip will be window installation. Also need to get some expanding foam to seal the R panel gaps along the roof to keep the wasps out. A piece of carpet for the floor and a couple of chairs are on the to-do list also.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Looks good Jason. Let me make a suggestion. When you get your windows installed build shelves above the windows for your accessories like kids snacks, binos etc.

Good idea. The 2x6 shelf extends to the corners, so there are a few places to sit a thermos, a yeti, or a stuffed super Mario Brother. Once I get the windows in I’ll decide what I want to do for the header above the windows. They recommend no more than 2 inches thick, and we want to reinforce above the window a little bit. Once I get the windows in hand I’ll make a plan.

Comment

Nicely done!

Comment

Nicely done, i just built a 6x6 for me and my boys.

Comment

Two coats of paint, some corner flashing, and spray foam in the roof gaps. Now if the windows would come in, we’d be in business.

Comment

That’ll work!

Comment

Very nice

Comment

Man she is pretty! Looking good

Comment

Didn’t see that coming lol. I never would guess that wind would tip over something so heavy. I guess in some ways it’s fortunate that the windows were light, is there still at my house and won’t have to be replaced. My brother and cousin got it tipped back up with only minimum damage to the roof metal on the side where it landed. Looks like windows and anchors are on the agenda for this weekend.

Comment

Man, there had to be some serious winds blowing through there to knock that thing over......or it could have been your neighbors 2 longhorn bulls that have been running all over the county for the last two weeks.....

Comment

Working...
                              X