No announcement yet.

Sous Vide Deer Steaks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Seared in a very hot cast iron skillet with about a tablespoon of avocado or grapeseed oil. After the first flip I killed the heat (so not to burn the butter) and tossed in half a stick of butter with thin sliced onions and garlic. The butter cools it pretty quick and I kicked the heat back up for a few seconds to finish the second side.

Comment

I have sous vide in marinade a few times and has always seemed to come out dry. When I dry season they come out perfect.

As for fatty cuts such as a ribeye, you have to go to a higher temp so that the fat renders. I fought against it for a long time but tried a ribeye at 135 and it actually turned out really good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gunnyart View Post
        I definitely don’t SV fatty cuts like ribeye and keeping the cuts over an inch is correct. The brief chill in the fridge not only prevents over cooking during the sear but really dries the surface so you get a good crust.
        I did a couple of Strips about two weeks ago and by the time I finished a couple of hours later, my wife wasn’t feeling great so into the fridge they went still sealed.

The next day I seared them from the fridge and it was actually pretty good. It was warm in the center and I didn’t have to worry about how long they I seared it.

I did a couple of center cut sirloin steaks a few weeks ago for 5 hours. I wanted to see if the extra time would make it more tender but without it getting mushy in texture. I figured sirloin could hold up okay since it usually isn’t nearly as tender as the other popular steaks. They came out great and easily the most tender sirloin I have ever had. They were nothing like a sv filet or strip but I never eat sirloin but might try that again.

Comment

I’ve got 4 2” NY Strips that I’ll do Sunday and report back.

Comment

I’ve got 4 2” NY Strips that I’ll do Sunday and report back.

Strips are a great sv choice.

Temp and time?

Seared by?

I have a friend at work (different than I mentioned earlier) and I got him to try sous vide a couple of years ago. He was searing them in a cast-iron skillet like I was but then one day used lump charcoal to finish them off. Now it is the only way he sears a sv steak. About 45 minutes before he takes them out, he fires up the charcoal and lets it get good and ready.

Comment

Originally posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
              I just don’t think you and I are doing it right. I’ve had sous vide preparations at restaurants and friends’ houses that were excellent. I want to be able to achieve the same thing. Or better.

I think it’s doable.

I’ve tried it at a couple of nice restaurants as well.

I much prefer everything about a steak (for example) cooked over hot wood or a screaming hot cast iron skillet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Thanks to all above for your help! I think that you are speeding up my learning curve. I never even thought about the thickness of the steaks. I cut mine to about 1". Next time I'll go even thicker. AND, I am going to try the refrigerator chill! I love the idea of the fridge for both drying the outside a bit and chilling the meat itself.

And yes, please report back with SV time etc...

I'm loving the idea of the hot cast iron with butter! I'm so in love with wood fired that the cast iron was much further down on my list of things to try. But... butter sold me. :-)

Comment

I made Philly cheese steaks just yesterday. I started with a 1.5 lb venison round steak sous vide at 132 degrees for 10 hours. Let it cool, chopped it up and followed an online recipe that was originally based on beef. Turned out great! Tougher cuts like venison roasts need lots of time. I never sous vide tenderloins, backstrap, or beef steak. I use sous vide as a way to tenderize tougher cuts.

Comment

Soak the venison in water for a couple of days, changing the water out until it comes out relatively clear. Then season the meat how you prefer (Uncle Chris' Deluxe Steak Seasoning is excellent!) & sous vide at 128 for 2 hours. Pull out, pat dry, and sear in a seasoned cast iron pan with real salted butter for no more than 1 minute a side.

Bon apeit!

Comment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by scott1022 View Post

The constant temperature is hard to beat. I love a good rare-medium-rare steak. This was from the first tenderloin that I did.

From what I'm reading the biggest variable with different cuts of red meat is making sure that you don't leave in the sous vide too long otherwise it can change the texture of the meat. The tougher the meat, the longer you can leave it.

My next attempt will be for a deer shank. Excited to see what it can do to that cut.

Looks great!

Comment

Salt & Pepper only
                          SV @130 for 2 hours
                          patted dry 15 minute rest in the fridge on a wire rack
                          seared with butter in a very hot cast iron skillet for about 90 seconds a side.
                          Daughters BF said it was the best steak he's ever had.
                          To be perfectly honest I felt like it could have been more tender but my piece was a bit thicker than the others.

Comment

Salt & Pepper only
                            SV @130 for 2 hours
                            patted dry 15 minute rest in the fridge on a wire rack
                            seared with butter in a very hot cast iron skillet for about 90 seconds a side.
                            Daughters BF said it was the best steak he's ever had.
                            To be perfectly honest I felt like it could have been more tender but my piece was a bit thicker than the others.

Looks dang good!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Looks like a win for sure. I really dig my sous vide cooker as well and I think one of the biggest issues is that people don't have something hot enough to sear on afterward and end up overcooking the meat.

Comment

Working...
                                X