No announcement yet.

New World Record long distance shot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yall can't see me, but I'm over here spinning my little silver cup.

Sent from my SM-J737A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
      I find it hilarious the way you contradicted yourself, and think I need clarification. I never mentioned shooter talent (you said you could do what they did), and am more concerned with the whole process….rifle/equipment/ammo/ team/prep, to put one on target. Iwill agree to not address you further in this discussion, as it’s clearly not going anywhere, and we seem to be coming at this from different angles.

I’d love to hear from Stick1, T8, Jakegraves, or anyone else with knowledge of how guys play this ELR game.

1. How the rifles differ from the 1.5-2 mile setups discussed earlier, to this thing they purpose built for this task. How the calibers differ from the 375 Chey vs what these guys used.

2. The difference in the ammo, more specifically the actual bullets, and how they are turned vs what is available to buy and reload with.

3. Where the limitations lie with shoulder fired rifles as we know them. The one these guys used, vs the “2 mile guns”, and what may come next?

4. What the next step might look like for the folks doing ~2 mile cold bore, and repeating 3-4 times. And what these guys may be able to accomplish next at 4.4 miles (just because that is the number in question)?

The process, the limitations, and what comes next…if that makes any sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      I’m typing this from a hotel room as we are currently shooting King of 2 mile this weekend. We set the cold bore world record a little over a year ago and it’s been broken 3 or 4 times since. To say things are advancing fast is an understatement! This latest “record” is cool, but not repeatable enough to gain the respect and acceptance of most ELR shooters I know. I’m glad to see folks pushing the limits. What we do at 2 miles now with regularity was mostly a “lucky” hit just a few years ago. Our closest starting target for this match is 2,098 yards and is hit to advance. About 1/2 the field advanced to target 4 today. That was unheard of not too long ago. That said, we are at the practical limit if not slightly beyond when it comes to repeatability and the technology we have access to currently.
      As far as equipment, they were not running anything special compared to what you would see here. In fact, I’m kind of surprised at their choices as there were more capable options available. There have been multiple successful runs at 3 + mile shots in the community that closely mirror this one, they just weren’t claimed as records by the shooter or team. They are usually noted as accomplishments unless they are set up with a little more structure on the requirements.

In my opinion they didn’t make the shot by accident. It took the know how to get it in the zip code. But that’s about where their influence ended. It took an extreme amount of luck to land where it did. Successful shooters in this game know how to read conditions. No one can read the conditions they were shooting through at max ord or on the ground at 4 miles, the layers of wind in between and whatever terrain influence they had to deal with on a flight path that long. It’s pretty cool and I congratulate them on their “accomplishment”.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
        I’m typing this from a hotel room as we are currently shooting King of 2 mile this weekend. We set the cold bore world record a little over a year ago and it’s been broken 3 or 4 times since. To say things are advancing fast is an understatement! This latest “record” is cool, but not repeatable enough to gain the respect and acceptance of most ELR shooters I know. I’m glad to see folks pushing the limits. What we do at 2 miles now with regularity was mostly a “lucky” hit just a few years ago. Our closest starting target for this match is 2,098 yards and is hit to advance. About 1/2 the field advanced to target 4 today. That was unheard of not too long ago. That said, we are at the practical limit if not slightly beyond when it comes to repeatability and the technology we have access to currently.

As far as equipment, they were not running anything special compared to what you would see here. In fact, I’m kind of surprised at their choices as there were more capable options available. There have been multiple successful runs at 3 + mile shots in the community that closely mirror this one, they just weren’t claimed as records by the shooter or team. They are usually noted as accomplishments unless they are set up with a little more structure on the requirements.

In my opinion they didn’t make the shot by accident. It took the know how to get it in the zip code. But that’s about where their influence ended. It took an extreme amount of luck to land where it did. Successful shooters in this game know how to read conditions. No one can read the conditions they were shooting through at max ord or on the ground at 4 miles, the layers of wind in between and whatever terrain influence they had to deal with on a flight path that long. It’s pretty cool and I congratulate them on their “accomplishment”.
        Thanks for sharing your insight. I'm very impress by you guys that can repeat shots a 2+ miles.

Comment

A hit at 4.4 miles is impressive. Doping that shot, impressive. The fact that it wasn't repeated makes it luck. No one counts one bull as dead on. Would be like shooting 6 arrows from your bow. 5 stuck in the fence and one hit the target. Need a group of 3 or it doesn't count in my book.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

When someone works extremely hard to become good at something extremely difficult, those without the talent, drive, or intellect to do so…will always say “he got lucky”. It’s the same logic a child uses when they watch a grown up do something they don’t understand.

People who can't shoot are impressed with one bullet out of a box hitting the bullseye. People who can shoot put the whole box of bullets through the bullseye. They didn't repeat the shot then it was luck.

Comment

Nicest way I’ve ever seen someone say it was a joke

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                Nicest way I’ve ever seen someone say it was a joke
                I wonder if anyone will come along and call BS on that? SMH

Comment

I appreciate your insight. I figured those records were being leap frogged quickly in that sport, but wouldn’t have predicted THAT quickly. It’ll be interesting to see what the next barrier to fall is.

I’m curious what you feel is the biggest factor limiting you guys now?

Best of luck out there in NM.

Comment

Originally posted by rcjunky007 View Post
                    A hit at 4.4 miles is impressive. Doping that shot, impressive. The fact that it wasn't repeated makes it luck. No one counts one bull as dead on. Would be like shooting 6 arrows from your bow. 5 stuck in the fence and one hit the target. Need a group of 3 or it doesn't count in my book.

That doesn’t make sense to me. I mean I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think both can be true. If it’s just luck, then there’s nothing impressive about it.

I guess we all see varying degrees or interpretations of “luck”.

I know this…no one else has done it once..

Comment

To me the biggest factor is loss of speed at that kinda distance...if I remember the article correctly, the projectile was under 700fps while that pesky gravity probably has it free falling somewhere around half that amount I'm guessing??

It's amazing to me they could get anywhere near a bullseye at over 4 miles with a traditional long gun...post two miles & it's really more of a mortar victory imo. Crazy stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoggslayer View Post
                        I wonder if anyone will come along and call BS on that? SMH
                        When the next shooter hits the target at 5 miles it will be BS.

Comment

That doesn’t make sense to me. I mean I get what you’re saying, but I don’t think both can be true. If it’s just luck, then there’s nothing impressive about it.

The issue is they cannot repeat it. In a reasonable amount of shots.

Comment

They didn't do it once, they tried 69 times with one lucky hit. They knew it was luck or it would have been repeated.

Comment

Thank you for posting. As an individual that doesn’t shoot at paper past 100yrds it’s is very informative to hear the perspective of someone that shoots and competes at 2+ miles. I didn’t even know it was an event.

I do know how small a deer becomes in a scope at 300yrds. That’s why I don’t place my feeders that far away.

Comment

Incredible

Comment

Working...
                                X