Serious Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tvc184 View Post
    Multiple choice questions. The right or wrong answer depends on the person.
    The answers do not coincide with your 1, 2, 3 questions and just answers the general question, why.

1. It is an easy way to brag without being obnoxious

2. They lack confidence in their own ability to judge and question if they should or should not shoot that particular deer.

3. They are simply curious as to what the deer will look like once he is shot because in truth, they know they are going to shoot. It probably ads to the excitement and anticipation.

Pretty much this

Comment

I like to see the pictures!

Comment

Because it's fun

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don't get me wrong I love seeing the pictures of different deer that are posted I just don't think that your able to get accurate answers for those questions without hands on. For question 2, I just don't get why people are concerned with what others think on whether or not they should shoot a certain deer unless they are a new hunter and just don't know how to tell if the deer in question is legal or not.

Comment

Good questions. Honestly, everyone is going to have their own answer, as they should. Some may be for reasons above. Many also ask said questions to learn and be curious. The only way to get better at field judging, quick score assessments and kill recs is to just talk it out. Every ranch is different, different variables and different goals. The deer I see in Central TX are different to judge on the hoof that what I saw in NTX, etc. I tend to look at these posts asking for Age and Score as just that - an opportunity to continue to refine what I think I know (or what I do not).

We did an Age and Score contest at our Wildlife Management Co-Op several years ago with Trail Cam pics and kill pics of deer that we knew we had aged and scored. Even generational hunter groups from the area still were all over the map trying to look at the photos. What we wanted to do as a group was just get the conversation going. And yep, the only absolute is the post-mortem score and age, but for us, if we could have convo about what a CTX deer looks like at 3 vs 5, we might see some aggregate gain in our overall herd (of course there are many, many other variables).

Comment

1. To get a ball park idea of what the deer will score from other peoples view or perspective. For example, f you think deer will score 150, but consensus says 135, maybe you are not seeing it as objectively as others.

2. To get validation from others, whether that is a good thing or not is debatable.

3. Lots of "deer folks" on this site. Asking for their opinion seems smart to me.

I mean we are talking about a hunting website. I feel like these types of questions, seem reasonable, in comparison to many of the other threads on here. I guess everyone is in different stages of hunting and that probably plays into why there tend to be so many of these types of threads.

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                As deer season is upon us I notice more and more posts with target deer. What I don't understand is, 1. Why do fellers post pictures of deer asking what a deer would score when in all reality, nobody truly knows what a deer will score until measurements are taken.

2. Why do fellers post pictures of deer and ask if they should shoot said deer or not? If your hunting on your lease, or your property why do you care if someone else would shoot it when it's your management program if your following one and someone else may have a much different quality of deer.

3. Age why ask what a deer ages at when you won't know for sure until you check the jaw if you even know how to age a deer by their jaw. Yeah you may be able to get a guestimate on the age but until your able to check that deer you won't know for sure.

If you have any rude comments because these questions offend you in any way, don't bother posting on this thread.
                Why didn’t you ask why people say Low Fence instead of Free Range?

Comment

Originally posted by BlessedVeteran0305 View Post
                  Don't get me wrong I love seeing the pictures of different deer that are posted I just don't think that your able to get accurate answers for those questions without hands on. For question 2, I just don't get why people are concerned with what others think on whether or not they should shoot a certain deer unless they are a new hunter and just don't know how to tell if the deer in question is legal or not.
                  Maybe it’s Just a question and they really don’t need an answer! It’s just discussion and personally I like these types of topics instead of rap poems!

Comment

This is a forum, right now my url says discussions.texasbowhunter.com, people post these things for discussion and conversation. Not being rude, but if those things shouldn’t be posted what should?

For example, I started a thread this week “shooter?”, I was not asking if I should or shouldn’t shoot the deer (although many people posted/commented on that) I was curious how many people would shoot this deer if it was their first bow buck. There’s nothing anyone could have said to have changed my mind, I was just curious what others thought. But according to your post, people shouldn’t post that type of stuff here lol.

Comment

To share knowledge there are some folks here that with a few decent pictures can give a pretty accurate score aging deer is difficult wether the deer is dead or alive but collectively we have tons of hours of experience aging deer and all of this is free

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
                        Why didn’t you ask why people say Low Fence instead of Free Range?

Yes why do they say low fence instead of free range?

Maybe it’s Just a question and they really don’t need an answer! It’s just discussion and personally I like these types of topics instead of rap poems!
                        Yeah I'm not a rap connoisseur myself either lol.

Comment

You can’t start off saying serious questions and then throw in Aging by jawbone- that’s a for sure oxymoron.

Comment

You can’t start off saying serious questions and then throw in Aging by jawbone- that’s a for sure oxymoron.
                            I meant I was being serious about the questions I was asking and bot trying to just stir up $#!+.

Comment

As deer season is upon us I notice more and more posts with target deer. What I don't understand is, 1. Why do fellers post pictures of deer asking what a deer would score when in all reality, nobody truly knows what a deer will score until measurements are taken.

Nobody is looking for an exact number in these type of questions. Notice nobody ever gives answers down to the 1/8". They are all just guesses based on experience doing so. Some folks are better at it on the hoof than others so its natural to ask for different opinions. Averaging it out usually gets you close enough to help one make a decision. Plus its something for all of us to do in the offseason. Its fun to see how close or far one is off.

2. Why do fellers post pictures of deer and ask if they should shoot said deer or not? If your hunting on your lease, or your property why do you care if someone else would shoot it when it's your management program if your following one and someone else may have a much different quality of deer.

Because some folks have more experience on making decisions like that. Especially when you give them a set of mgmt parameters. They can help you say yes or no. Some folks just want reassurance that what they are seeing is what others with more experience are seeing. There are a lot of new folks on here that ask for help as well. Its a big part of what TBH is all about. Helping others.

3. Age why ask what a deer ages at when you won't know for sure until you check the jaw if you even know how to age a deer by their jaw. Yeah you may be able to get a guestimate on the age but until your able to check that deer you won't know for sure.

You are dealing in absolutes here with your questions. Nothing is absolute until the deer is dead and then there is no going back. There are tells and characteristics that help one see age. No they aren't 100% accurate and yes sometimes mistakes are made. That's why you ask several people looking for opinions hoping they see what you see or can help you see what they see. You use what you can to make the best decision. Shooting a deer is permanent and the questions you have posed above lets folks decide if they need to take the deer or pass. Plus its good offseason discussion.

If you have any rude comments because these questions offend you in any way, don't bother posting on this thread.
                              Last edited by Smart; 09-22-2022, 04:36 PM.

Comment

1) That's part of the excitement and sharing hunting! The social aspect of hunting is arguably the most important aspect of the whole idea of hunting. It's nice to be excited for people and share the excitement that you have for a deer you may take.

2) Why ask about shooters - well, in my opinion, shoot what makes you happy. Some folks probably get just as much enjoyment from management and growing the biggest rack possible as others do just hunting. Whatever makes you happy, do it. There's something thrilling about letting a good buck walk so he becomes a great buck. But either way - be proud of what you're doing.

3) Age - I think it goes a bit hand in hand with the last answer for the management minded. You want deer to get the most out of their life, which also runs concurrently with antler development. It's sometimes best to bounce ideas off other folks to come to your own decision on how you manage your herd, if you have a herd to manage.

Comment

Working...
                                X