• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bad idea

Comment

No…I think it’s a bad idea.

Comment

I may be the one you are referring to about the first 2 rounds of snake loads. THAT IS FOR IN THE WOODS ONLY. If loading for concealed carry, the first 2 rounds and all of the rest are for serious business. IMO, if you have to fire your weapon, shoot to eliminate the threat...quickly.

Comment

Prayers sent.

Comment

I wouldn't want to bet my life on that. A handgun is a big enough compromise as it is. I wouldn't want to lessen it's effectiveness further.

Comment

Two hollow points to the eyes would also stop the biggest brute. I am not worried about their life if they are attacking me or my family.

Comment

Originally posted by El Paisano View Post
                I may be the one you are referring to about the first 2 rounds of snake loads. THAT IS FOR IN THE WOODS ONLY. If loading for concealed carry, the first 2 rounds and all of the rest are for serious business. IMO, if you have to fire your weapon, shoot to eliminate the threat...quickly.
                I did this for 20 years at the ranch. April I was working on a feeder and a big gobbler stepped out at 20 feet away. I think easy shot. Gun goes bang and gobbler runs into a better spot. Gun goes bang gobbler walks away. I forgot the first 2 were snake shot...

Comment

if i have to pull my sidearm, i want to send big chunks of lead down range, not bb's. Plus in a stressful situation, do you really want to try and make a head shot? Center mass as many times as it takes!!!

Comment

Echoing everyone else… heck no. If I need to use my carry gun it’s because someone is threatening my life. If I draw.. I draw to shoot. If I shoot, it’s to eliminate that threat. Bird shot does not eliminate the threat in the way I intend.

Now, an argument can be made for using birdshot in a shotgun for home defense. Something like #2 or #3 lead out of a shotgun at distances found inside a home will do a number on intruders but wont over penetrate through walls. I could see the argument, but I’m still choosing buckshot of some variety.

Comment

I think the consensus is…….NO !

Comment

Originally posted by Big Lee View Post
                        My conceal carry teacher said, "Dead people don't talk" "If you decide to draw, shoot" "Shoot to end the threat"
                        Good friend of the family was higher ranking in the sheriff's office, he told us if you ever decided you need to shoot someone, make sure you kill them. They may come back and sue you, even if they were breaking into your house.

Comment

My first thought on rat shot in an auto loading hand gun, is it may not feed properly, and may not have enough pressure to fully eject the round then pick up the next round. So you may only get that one shot, till you rack the slide and load another round.

Then my next thought on the subject would be nope, way too many possible situations where rat shot would be a bad idea. Point blank where the muzzle of the gun is dang near touching the person you are shooting, rat shot would be great. But if they are 30 yards away and pointing a rifle at you, you are one screwed mofo, and you did it to yourself.

The only way I would ever carry a pistol with rat shot in it, would be a 4" barreled 38 or 357, revolver with rat shot, then carry another handgun loaded with good ammo. Carry the gun with the good ammo where you are most likely going to reach for a gun. Carry the revolver with the rat shot, in a location, that you would have to think about it, to think to reach for that gun.

Comment

I’d fire two warning shots then let him have it with three shot shells. If I ever had to shoot a perp it would not be with shot shells. Better to be judged by twelve than carried by six.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase4556 View Post
                              Echoing everyone else… heck no. If I need to use my carry gun it’s because someone is threatening my life. If I draw.. I draw to shoot. If I shoot, it’s to eliminate that threat. Bird shot does not eliminate the threat in the way I intend.

Now, an argument can be made for using birdshot in a shotgun for home defense. Something like #2 or #3 lead out of a shotgun at distances found inside a home will do a number on intruders but wont over penetrate through walls. I could see the argument, but I’m still choosing buckshot of some variety.
                              Actually, at close range, the largest shot you want, is 4 shot, 6 shot would be my preferred shot size, out of a short barrel open choke gun, if I wanted to really mess someone up and wanted to reduce the chances of injuring someone else in the house. Really you could use 7 1/2 or 8 shot, but I would test the shells you plan to use out, at ranges that you might shoot from inside your house. Shoot at some 3/4" plywood or something thicker and see what you get for results. You want to be able to blow about a 2" diameter hole through the plywood, from about 15 ft., then still be able to blow a hole through the plywood 20 ft.

Comment

I hope I never have to pull my weapon, but if I have made it to that point then I am shooting to kill.

Comment

Working...
                                X