• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
    ….and critters died.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    And a bunch of them!

Comment

Just an update. I stayed with my original setup and smoked an elk with it. He made it about 60 yards after being hit. I had a hard quartering away shot at 20 yards and took it. Right behind the front shoulder/lower third of the body. The arrow took out one lung and center punched the heart. I didn’t get a complete pass through but it did penetrate the offside. The only part of my arrow I could find was about a 6” piece of the shaft stuck inside the heart. Blood trail was amazing.

Next year the plan will be to shoot around a 435 gr arrow at around 275 fps or more. I’ve got a year to work on it.

Comment

Originally posted by rtp View Post
        Just an update. I stayed with my original setup and smoked an elk with it. He made it about 60 yards after being hit. I had a hard quartering away shot at 20 yards and took it. Right behind the front shoulder/lower third of the body. The arrow took out one lung and center punched the heart. I didn’t get a complete pass through but it did penetrate the offside. The only part of my arrow I could find was about a 6” piece of the shaft stuck inside the heart. Blood trail was amazing.

Next year the plan will be to shoot around a 435 gr arrow at around 275 fps or more. I’ve got a year to work on it.
        What broadhead did you go with?

Comment

Originally posted by DrBob View Post
          Took a class at the SCI meeting in Vegas about 6 or so years ago. Came home and changed my entire setup. It has been incredible. I am a believer. Went to Africa
          Complete passthroughs on large Wildebeest and Gemsbok.
          Went to Wyoming Killed a buck pronghorn......and the doe standing behind him! Pass through both!
          https://www.ashbybowhunting.org/12-a...ration-factors

We’re you not getting pass throughs on Wildbeast and Gemsbok before the class?

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
            What broadhead did you go with?

Iron Will 100 gr single bevel.

Comment

Originally posted by 175gr7.62 View Post
              We’re you not getting pass throughs on Wildbeast and Gemsbok before the class?

Not sure what class you are talking about but I’ve had complete pass throughs on an Eland and Oryx I shot previously. These were 20-30 yard shots. I also got a complete pass through on my elk two years ago but that was at 14 yards.

I’m trying to get a little more punching power down range. I’m confident shooting out to 100 yards so I want enough energy to punch deep should I take an 80 yard shot.

Comment

Sounds like 25 yards is a long shot for you…

Comment

Congratulations on the Elk !

Comment

Heart center punch.
                    Best case scenario! Woot woot!
                    You rule.

Running 60 yards after being heart punch is incredible.
                    The arrow:
                    Penetrated completely.
                    Cut irregularly completely.
                    Kept the wound open completely through out the body cavity.
                    Great balance.

The force is strong with you….r arrow.
                    Well done MrRTP.

Comment

Originally posted by JES View Post
                      Sounds like 25 yards is a long shot for you…

I do like to get up close. [emoji3]

Comment

I believe 400gn arrow is too light at anything over 30 yds on an elk. Put a quality 50-75gn insert up front with the iron will and you'll be good.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I’m done thinking about it. Enjoyed the conversation though. I’m staying with what I have and if it doesn’t get the job done it will be the Indian’s fault and not the arrow’s.

My neighbor gave me 2 of his arrows to use and compare so I spent sometime doing just that this morning. My arrow is a 400 gr micro diameter and his are standard diameter at 468 and 493 gr.

At 60 yards his two arrows we nearly identical in penetration each time. The lighter one was getting about 1/4-1/2” more than the heavier one on avg. My arrow was getting no less than 3” more penetration each round. I’m guessing since those calculators aren’t taking into account small diameter and foc they can be off some.

The other negative is the amount of drop those two arrows had at 60 yards vs mine, 14&17” respectively.

I was also told the small diameter is going to be less affected by wind as well.

I may play around with changing things up after this hunt but for now I’m 100% confident this arrow will do the job if I do my part.

Shooting into block targets to test penetration is flawed. That media is designed to stop arrows. You should try ballistic gel for better penetration comparisons

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

So to update this again……two torn rotator cuff muscles aren’t allowing me to increase my draw weight or do a lot of extensive testing this season. I’ve bought a dozen of my same arrows in a stiffer spine as well as some 125 & 150 grain heads. The new arrows will be 440 and 465 grain with 13.4 and 14.6% FOC respectively. I’m going to attempt to start shooting them some to see if I like them any better than my existing set up. It’s going to be a pretty short round of testing as I’m not going to risk a further injury that keeps me from my September hunt. My guess is I’ll end up with the 125 grain broad head on the stiffer arrow but I’ve been wrong before. I’ll update again once I’ve made a decision for this year.

Comment

So to update this again……two torn rotator cuff muscles aren’t allowing me to increase my draw weight or do a lot of extensive testing this season. I’ve bought a dozen of my same arrows in a stiffer spine as well as some 125 & 150 grain heads. The new arrows will be 440 and 465 grain with 13.4 and 14.6% FOC respectively. I’m going to attempt to start shooting them some to see if I like them any better than my existing set up. It’s going to be a pretty short round of testing as I’m not going to risk a further injury that keeps me from my September hunt. My guess is I’ll end up with the 125 grain broad head on the stiffer arrow but I’ve been wrong before. I’ll update again once I’ve made a decision for this year.

Bull elk are big, have a big kill zone, BUT are not very thick skinned as opposed to some animals in the US and especially in Africa. There have probably been more elk killed with normal whitetail set ups than specialized set ups. Shot placement and a fine tuned bow with a razor sharp head will kill almost anything. do not overthink this.

Find a set up your are confident in, get confidence in your shot ability when it happens.

My theory is, I an animal will give me a good shot, I can make that shot and kill that animal. If there is doubt in your mind on the shot or your equipment, the result of the shot may not be what you want!

Keep us updated please on your findings and what you chose to use.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                                Bull elk are big, have a big kill zone, BUT are not very thick skinned as opposed to some animals in the US and especially in Africa. There have probably been more elk killed with normal whitetail set ups than specialized set ups. Shot placement and a fine tuned bow with a razor sharp head will kill almost anything. do not overthink this.

Find a set up your are confident in, get confidence in your shot ability when it happens.

My theory is, I an animal will give me a good shot, I can make that shot and kill that animal. If there is doubt in your mind on the shot or your equipment, the result of the shot may not be what you want!

Keep us updated please on your findings and what you chose to use.

Agree as I’ve already killed two. I just think stacking as many things in my favor is a bonus. If neither shoot as well as my current setup, I have no problem staying with it again.

Comment

Working...
                                X