school me on golf carts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

school me on golf carts

I have the itch for a new toy to buzz around the house property, around the neighborhood, and night hunting for pigs and varmints. Ability to carry up to 4 people. I currently have an ATV and dont want to pay over $10k for a decent SxS, so seeing golf carts in the $3k to $6k range has peeked my interest.

I know golf carts and mud is a no go. But what about normal usage when dry? How long do batteries normally last and what is cost to replace? How far can you ride on a single charge? Lift or no lift? What tires? Any particular brand to look for or avoid? 48v? I hear people talk about "battery maintenance" to make them last longer... besides charging and checking fluid occasionally, what maintenance is needed? How long do the electric motors normally last? And any other info that is useful?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

A good used lifted 4 seat golf cart will run you about 8-10k. If you can get one with a lithium battery, get it. No maintenance and they will run about 60-75 miles on a charge.
    Deep cycle batteries will last you about 5 years and will run about 20 miles on a charge. Get a 48 volt model, not a 36. Maintenance on these include keeping them charged and full of fluid and cleaning the battery terminals reguraly. You will need a couple of extra battery cables too because they break occasionally.

Comment

I bought a custom built club cart from a guy that had put in the lithium ion pack batteries. It’s 48-v. Batteries are Relion brand
      They are great in terms of no maintenance
      However I don’t have a charge level indicator
      The shop that built & added the lithium batteries commented that the charge indicator does not work with the lithiums
      The only thing i have had to replace is the speed regulator on the foot pedal assembly
      All in all not a bad cart

Comment

Mud and water never hurt mine. Lifted club car. Suspension SUCKS but that’s part of it. If you aren’t in rough country or large acreage they are awesome.

Comment

Originally posted by HogHunter34 View Post
          I bought a custom built club cart from a guy that had put in the lithium ion pack batteries. It’s 48-v. Batteries are Relion brand
          They are great in terms of no maintenance
          However I don’t have a charge level indicator
          The shop that built & added the lithium batteries commented that the charge indicator does not work with the lithiums
          The only thing i have had to replace is the speed regulator on the foot pedal assembly
          All in all not a bad cart
          Some of the lithium batteries now have bluetooth on them that states charge

OP...id stay with club car if at all possible. Full aluminum frames. Lots of options to hop up battery carts now days. As mentioned lifted carts kinda ride like a buckboard

Comment

New batteries must be “broken in” correctly to get maximum life. They need to be discharged to near “empty” the first 5 or 6 times you charge them. That’s important and I learned the hard way. Also, nothing but distilled water in the batteries and don’t fill them up to the little ring, just keep the plates covered. Learned that the hard way too. The first set of batteries lasted me 3.5 years, but after I learned the proper way to maintain them, the second set went 6 years. A change out in a 48V will run from $1,000 to $1,500 depending on brand of battery. Always keep your cable clamps tight and treated. Tires don’t matter much, it ain’t a mud machine. Definitely get a lift. I can’t speak to how long the motor lasts, both of mine were still going when I sold them. The last one I had was an EZ Go Beast and I kept it on my other property. Many a hog died in the middle of the night, and some during the day. The only thing they will hear is whatever surface you are driving on. I did have to replace the bushings on the spring hangers because they were getting noisy, but a quick and inexpensive fix. If I hadn’t sold that other property I’d still have mine.

Comment

I've had a Yamaha gas powered cart for around 4 years. Not a single problem with it so far. Doesn't burn much gas and no battery maintenance. Not very loud either. Bought mine used from a dealer that has lease agreements with golf courses. They sell them used at 2 years old and they are really solid carts. Around 5-6K when I bought it. Not sure what they are now.
              Last edited by EZE; 09-12-2022, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by EZE View Post
                I've had a Yamaha gas powered cart for around 4 years. Not a single problem with it so far. Doesn't burn much gas and no battery maintenance. Not very loud either. Bought mine used from a dealer that has lease agreements with golf courses. They sell them used at 2 years old and they are really solid carts. Around 5-6K when I bought it. Not sure what they are now.
                why did you go gas instead of electric?

Comment

They ride like pure crap.

Comment

Club car is aluminum and doesn’t rust like the rest of them

Comment

We have some carts at work that are 12 years old . Finally got the batteries replaced . He have had to change a few speed controllers . And we have some real idiots driving them . I keep about 15 ft of 4g wire and several lugs .so I can make cables .

Comment

They're ridiculously overpriced !!

Comment

Yeah not cheap unless you find a used one and fix it up yourself

Comment

If you're going to take it off road, Jakes Long Travel Suspension. It's worth it, imo.

Comment

Originally posted by EZE View Post
                              I am in this boat. Granted I spent a pretty penny on mine (I upgraded some stuff and added a radio/speakers)

We use mine for literally anything from checking cows to drinking beer. WE have had 2 large males and 10 kids ranging from 2-15 on it at one time and she didnt hiccup. IT has literally been ridden hard and put up wet.

Originally posted by duckmanep View Post
                              why did you go gas instead of electric?

I went gas because I did not want to buy batteries. It is not too loud and will run 21 mph loaded down. I can get over 200 miles per tank of fuel. In my eyes it is good. We cruise it up and down the road to check cows.

To the OP I have a I believe 36v electric that is about to be for sale. EZ GO. We have fixed it up (found it in a shed and brought it back to life) but my inlaws want to buy my yamaha so I am most likely going to drop some coin on a new one.

Comment

Working...
                              X