$3 UL saw build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

$3 UL saw build

I posted this on rokslide but thought somebody here might find it useful as well

I have always wanted a saw to use for skull capping deer when backpacking to keep from having to carry the skull out. I looked at a few builds on here and elsewhere online. I weighed out the pros and cons of each, for my applications, and came up with this. 1/2" emt conduit scrap skeletonized. Standard reciprocating saw blade. It has a wing nut on the other side to tension it with. I bought a 5 pack of 9" bi-metal blades for $15. I figured the finer tooth would be best for bone. Can take a pruning blade too when we are taking the stove. Works like a champ on antler and 2 inch hickory limb i tested it on. Obviously handle could be half as long if I wasn't utilizing it to stow the blade.

Total weight is 3.5 oz

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Good idea.

Comment

I am digging that build. Probably going to build for our Elk trip next month now!

Comment

That is a fantastic idea! Well done

Comment

I'm going to have to build one for myself, fantastic idea. Thanks!

Comment

I didn't realize that UL listing carried over to hand saw construction.

Nice and simple tool though.

Comment

I like that for wood stove purposes, thanks for sharing.

Comment

Originally posted by stoic View Post
                I didn't realize that UL listing carried over to hand saw construction.

Nice and simple tool though.
                I meant it as ultralight. But perhaps I used it inappropriately.

Comment

Nice

Comment

I got within 10 yards of trying this out on a big buck only to be betrayed by the wind at the last critical moment. Luckily my buddy got a buck so i got to try the saw out. It performed perfectly. Even better than i had hoped. If you are sure to cut all of the skin and soft tissue with a knife first, you can remove the skull plate in a minute or less.

Comment

Assuming there’s no lock? How well does it stay tight on the hinge bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by canny View Post
                        Assuming there’s no lock? How well does it stay tight on the hinge bolt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        Very well. Doesn't move at all. You can get it pretty tight with wing nut but i just barely snug it. All that downward pressure when cutting probably helps.

Comment

Sweet build and congrats to your buddy !!!

Comment

Working...
                          X