Re-decking Trailer - what size 2-by

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re-decking Trailer - what size 2-by

Re-decking a 16 ft trailer. Debating between various sizes of 2x’s.

At 102” worth you’d need:

18.5 2x6x16 ($20 x 19 = $380)
    13.6 2x8x16 ($27.50 x 14 = $385)
    10.7 2x10x16 ($30 x 11 = $330)

Obviously will need a combo of some sort to take up the fractions.

I will likely be using the block/jack method to bend the last couple boards in place.

WWGSD??

Wider boards mean less screws, rip the last piece to fit and drive it in the middle.

Buy your boards and treat them with a mixture of used motor oil and diesel several times. Do it before you install them so you can treat the edges too. Lay the boards out in the sun for several weeks so they can shrink up before installing. Look at the end grain and install with the grain up like an arch, not like a U.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

10 - 2x10 and 1 - 2x6 in the center. That should give you just a little space between boards. That may still be a little snug.

Comment

Like usual, Dale is spot on. I just had some red oak boards cut for my small trailer. I’ll let them dry until the spring and replace my deck. Oil+diesel+ oak boards will give me a long time of use.

Comment

Cut the boards out with a chainsaw and knock off old screws and use good stainless screws. With the crappy lumber out there do what Dale said.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
            Wider boards mean less screws, rip the last piece to fit and drive it in the middle.

Buy your boards and treat them with a mixture of used motor oil and diesel several times. Do it before you install them so you can treat the edges too. Lay the boards out in the sun for several weeks so they can shrink up before installing. Look at the end grain and install with the grain up like an arch, not like a U.

Follow this and you’ll be fine.

Comment

I bought oak from a local mill and treated them.

Comment

Treated boards won’t work? Need to redo a couple and glad I found this thread

Comment

Use ten 2x10

Leave a gap in between each.

They will swell and shrink. No need to make super tight

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                    They’ll work but they shrink horribly!

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                      Listen to Dale. You won’t have to do this but once ever two decades. Treated you will be redoing it in 5-7 years.

Comment

Find a mill that cuts old telephone poles. There is one in Sanger Tx called Harden Sawmill that millls them just for trailers.

We are focused on our customers' needs to achieve the highest possible quality and service. The backbone of our company is our highly skilled and dedicated employees, along with our state of the art technology and advanced precision equipment.

Comment

Tag fer later

Comment

Good info. Thank you, sir!

Now, if screws were limitless would you still recommend the wider boards?

Comment

I'm assuming you are using untreated boards for this? Thanks for the awesome info!

Comment

Working...
                              X