Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gus Engeling___Oct 21-25 Archery

Who drew and who has intel?

My uncle has shot giants on Gus Engeling.

Comment

Saw one of the biggest bucks I've seen in person there two seasons ago.

Comment

Good luck

Comment

I would also appreciate any intel possible. I’ll be going in blind this year!

Comment

Originally posted by Biggs View Post
            I would also appreciate any intel possible. I’ll be going in blind this year!
            Its kinda hard to pick intel for it since they draw spots unless you ask for a specific unit. Ive hunted I think 8 and 11. They were both near the front. Both saw plenty of does but no bucks worth shooting aka clearly legal for them. The front of the unit has plenty of sign of deer and ive seen some good bucks crossing the main road. There are plenty of hogs out there too. But its an awesome place to hunt. I would bring a light tripod or a climbing setup with you. There are plenty of trees to connect to on it.

Comment

I'll have my saddle getup and the prototype carbon fiber tripod.

Comment

Can someone post the compartment map from last year?

Comment

Originally posted by Spoiled_TN_boy View Post
                  Can someone post the compartment map from last year?
                  We'll I'm pending second draw. I love hunting the Gus! I've hunted it several times as I live about 15 minutes away. If you PM me your number I will text you a pic of a map with the compartments.

Comment

I’ve been 3 times on a youth hunt. My son is now 26 and was around 9 & 10 back then, so it’s been a while. Back when we went, the compartments were lettered not numbered. On a doe/spike hunt, I videotaped a massive ten in compartment S. Have no clue what number it is today but it’s across catfish creek and left side of the road. You can’t see it from the road, but just thru some scrub brush is a open field about 5 acres in size. The department had burnt it off about 3 weeks prior to the hunt. Had green shoots coming up and looked like a winter wheat field. Anyway he came across it and all we could do was watch it. He did end up killing 2 does that next morning.
                    Another spot we hunted was in B. It’s like in the north west corner. It has a small pond on it and being as dry as it is, would be a good spot. The year we hunted it, we were in a drought year. Saw a nice 8, but again, it was a doe/spike only hunt.

Comment

Just got picked for this on second draw.

Comment

Gus is hard to hunt anytime other than the rut, when bucks are more visible. Good habitat and not excessive deer densities equals hard hunting. The deer there don't come to corn well, if at all From the hunting I've done and talking to others, you'll probably see more at the front than in the back. Getting off of the ground is a must.

Comment

I and a friend will be there!

First time, and know nothing about the unit.

It’s a lot of fun and surprise to hunt public.

Looking forward to meeting others!

Comment

I have hunted there many times including last year on an Antlerless Hunt in December. Any Compartment adjacent to the Catfish Creek Bottom is golden in my experience. They have been using Brush Mulching equipment cutting lanes on the hill next to the Bottom. Last year I took a doe, watched a decent 8 Point for 20 minutes and saw a couple Boar hog. My Buddy killed one of the Boars. Also saw 6 Eastern Turkeys. A four wheel drive Vehicle will get you further in on these Compartments due to Sugar Sand. My new hunting property is about 20 minutes away from Engling this year' If I dont draw I plan on showing for Standby on some of the hunts.
                            Last edited by MtnMike; 08-28-2022, 07:33 PM.

Comment

I don’t live that far from it either. Never thought about hunting on it. Until now, what does one do to go about hunting hogs there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                              X