Why do people kill themselves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bakin7005 View Post
    Stage 4 renal cell carcinoma.....I have no suicidal tendencies. I reckon that could be a factor if you have a mental illness as well... why would I put my family through that unless I had a mental illness?
    It's not the stage 4 (name your illness).

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I know this wasn't directed towards me but I hope nothing I have said has offended you. I don't think that's what should happen or that I approve of that decision. I just meant I understand it in that circumstance. Because the truth is I don't know what kind of pain people go through during that time in their life. I can't judge someone that's going through a challenge I've never faced in my life. I hope I never do.

I wish you luck on your road to recovery. You have determination. I could only hope I'd be as brave if I was in your shoes.

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
      I know this wasn't directed towards me but I hope nothing I have said has offended you. I don't think that's what should happen or that I approve of that decision. I just meant I understand it in that circumstance. Because the truth is I don't know what kind of pain people go through during that time in their life. I can't judge someone that's going through a challenge I've never faced in my life. I hope I never do.

I wish you luck on your road to recovery. You have determination. I could only hope I'd be as brave if I was in your shoes.
      Thank you for your kind words... not offended. I don't understand how someone can come to a decision to do that which really proves my point that it is really nothing more than some form of mental illness regardless of physical circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by camoclad View Post
        We can't know some things
        Well, I know this...
        Suicide, is never the answer..

But, if you look a little deeper into someone's psychic...
        You may find, that a lot suicides, are self-centered, selfish,
        egotistical people. Who care only, about themselves...
        And never about the repercusions of their actions...
        IMHO- of course...

Comment

Originally posted by Cajun Blake View Post
          in my opinion, one of the common factors of people who commit suicide is they don't have a strong enough relationship with the Lord. He will NEVER turn his back on you, and the Lord will never give you more than you can't handle. Sure, life is tough at times, but it ALWAYS gets better through prayer and support from family, friends, and loved ones.
          Amen brother!

It's a permanent solution to a temporary problem!

Comment

I ask my father (committed suicide in 78’ ) this question at least once a month! I have forgiven him but will always resent him for it

Comment

Mental illness is a dark place. Most that don’t have it can’t comprehend what someone goes through. Most don’t seek help so it ultimately ends really bad. Prayers for anyone going through this with family or friends.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                Well, I know this...

IMHO- of course...
                I just about see a suicide a week for the last 12 years. Ages 12 to 91. Exxon executives to combat marines.

None have been related to me thank the lord so I think I see them for what they are

And that's all hogwash

Comment

I've been a FF for 35 yrs and been on alot of suicides in different manners. Some we were told "a reason" others no idea.....all ages, sexes and races.......why someone does it many times dies with them. I believe the young ones don't understand the finality of it and what it does to others......some of the older ones do it to "punish" others or have just had enough......the only ones I can understand are the health issue ones, sometimes people are just done.

Comment

Originally posted by RascalArms View Post
                    I've been in a dark place where I can relate. Grief and pain can be unbearable at times. Like a dark cloud that follows you around constantly...it can consume you. It's hard to explain to those that don't understand. It's a terrible feeling when it seems there's absolutely no hope left and no way out. Like there's a "finality" and hopelessness where nothing can ever be repaired and will ever be the same.

I feel for these people but I also get mad as hell at them. LIVING is the courageous part. When someone kills themself they leave behind their loved ones to pick up the pieces and deal with the traumatic aftermath. I'm sure that can be overwhelming for the survivors at times.
                    I agree. For some the darkness is so overwhelming the only way to push through is pure hard headedness to not be defeated. Strength only comes from anger and determination to survive against what feels like the world trying to destroy you. Every thing that happens feels like the world conspiring to bring you down.

Unfortunately that only pushes people farther away which causes you to fall deeper into the pit. You just fight it as long as you can I guess. Even when you live for the fight, it wears you down in the end. You cant win the fight forever. Nobody does.

Comment

A friend killed himself last January.
                      His big lib wife had pushed their youngest child to be 'transgender'. She is so proud...
                      I think he couldn't handle that situation, but I'll never know what pushed him over the edge.

Comment

Originally posted by sailor View Post
                        Well, I know this...

IMHO- of course...
                        I think there is a point where someone feels like they are doing the survivors a favor. That the world as a whole would be better off without them. That thier family may grieve for a period, but in the end would be better off. When you view life as a constant struggle it clouds the mind. It clouds your judgement of other peoples view of reality. Of how they view you. They may truly believe that it wont impact their family much. They may feel so faulty, so unlovable, so unworthy of love, that the family may be relieved they are gone.

Comment

Originally posted by Box-R View Post
                          A friend killed himself last January.
                          His big lib wife had pushed their youngest child to be 'transgender'. She is so proud...
                          I think he couldn't handle that situation, but I'll never know what pushed him over the edge.
                          And that's what I talked about earlier. Killing himself did absolutely nothing to hurt her. She couldn't care less. If anything he should have killed her stupid ***. I don't understand punishing yourself over something someone else is doing. Now his mixed up kid doesn't have a dad and his mom is an idiot. He loses all the way around.
                          Last edited by okrattler; 08-14-2022, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by amcalister04 View Post
                            There’s a lot that goes into it. I’ve been there. Struggled with PTSD and survivors guilt. Stuck a pistol in my mouth one night but for some reason and I can’t explain why I didn’t do it. Ended up praying instead. Funny thing is I can still remember the dream I had later that night. Dreamed about a buddy of mine that was killed while we were on patrol. He told me I was being selfish and this wasn’t my life to take and that the Lord wasn’t done with me. Dream was clear as a picture and like it wasn’t a dream at all.

Gave me chills reading this. Thanks for sharing and stay strong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

The most disturbing for me is when young people do it. They just don't understand that nothing really matters at their age and that things will get better. Your brain just isn't fully formed yet and situations seems impossible to overcome. When I has in HS a kid totaled his nice truck that his parents bought for him when coming home from duck hunting. Put his shotgun in his mouth right there on the scene. One can only imagine fear of telling his parents led him to do it. The parents will tell you he died in a car wreck. Local cop was a customer where I worked at the time said he had a boot off and toe on the trigger. I can't imagine the blame I would feel as a parent.

I'm ashamed to admit it but alcohol took me down a dark road for a very long time. Nobody knew this but me. I wasn't drinking to run from anything or to numb any pain. I just liked it too much. The more and more frequently you drink, the more your brain wants it. And it really messed with my head. I'm not talking about when drinking. Things were great then. I'm talking about during the day when not drinking. Crazy thing is I never drew the correlation. I just knew things were really bad in my head and I didn't know why. I was never suicidal but I was very ok with dying at one point. My wife and kids were the only reason i didn't want to die. It was like being in a vise that slowly clenches tighter and tighter and you just want relief. By chance or divine intervention I did a continuing education course for my license renewal and one of the courses was drug and alcohol misuse and abuse. That is when the light bulb came on that i was basically living in withdrawal. I can't describe to you how much better I felt immediately after stopping drinking. It was like the dark clouds parted and the sun shined again. Everyone is different and I think i am just wired to like alcohol a little too much. And please understand that you would not know this, even if you knew me well. I only drank in my home in the evenings. It was in the same yeti cup I drink water in all day. I still got out of bed at 0430 to go to work every day and performed well. But alone in my head, things were a wreck. And the weird thing was that i was too ashamed to reach out to anyone about it. So in some way, i understand. I was really judgmental of people who tapped out before. Not any more. I feel very sad that they got to that place and didn't find a way back.

Comment

Originally posted by Preacher Man View Post
                                They don’t think there is any hope left with whatever situation they’re going through.

Depression can be powerful
                                This year dad took his life 33 years ago. Mom said it was years of build up. From the war and his childhood along with trouble with his business. We will never really know what was the driving force. We didn’t see it coming.

Comment

Working...
                                X