Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fastest growing trees or large bushes for a fence line?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Slabby View Post
    Privet
    Kill them all

Comment

Ill add Eleagnus sp.
      Aka… Russian Olive…theyre evergreen bee magnets with fragrant flowers in the fall.

Good skillin Mr59.

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
        Bamboo or Yaupons

I have a hedgerow in front of my house thats’s just yaupons I kept trimmed.

These make excellent barriers, however, they’re extremely invasive and difficult to eradicate once they take hold.

While it may take them a while to grow out, I like your idea of planting pibe trees if you’re not to concerned about loss of grasses underneath.

Comment

Podacarpus, done.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            Oleander
            Definite work well BUT a hard freeze will tale toll....but don't kill

Comment

Since you are up here close to me

DO NOT PLANT ANY YAUPON!

Please and thank you

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                Podacarpus, done.
                I think, these are what I have found to be the best. I have shaped mine into xmas trees on a tall wall. We used to call them japanese yew.

Comment

Clumping bamboo! You can get all kinds of varieties, and any combination of height and spread you can imagine.

Comment

Podacarpus, done.
                    If Sackett says it, I’m writing it down!

Comment

Podacarpus, done.
                      This looks like a good option but is there a way to tell a male from a female plant? Or is this even correct?

Pulled from wikipedia:
                      Male Podocarpus spp. are extremely allergenic, and have an OPALS allergy-scale rating of 10 out of 10. Conversely, completely female Podocarpus plants have an OPALS rating of 1, and are considered "allergy-fighting", as they capture pollen while producing none.[10]

Podocarpus is related to yews, and as with yews, the stems, leaves, flowers, and pollen of Podocarpus are all poisonous. Additionally, the leaves, stems, bark, and pollen are cytotoxic. The male Podocarpus blooms and releases this cytotoxic pollen in the spring and early summer. Heavy exposure to the pollen, such as with a male Podocarpus planted near a bedroom window, can produce symptoms that mimic the cytotoxic side effects of chemotherapy.[10]

Comment

LOL, Bamboo would be fastest, lingustrum(pirvet) of the japanese variety would look nicer but insanely invasive.

Comment

Dig up some cane growing around the area lakes. New shoots will grow over 8' a year. Evergreen. Doesn't take a lot to get started, just keep it mowed where you want the boundaries to be

Comment

Around my area, hackberry and huisache do really well along fencelines.

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
                              Dig up some cane growing around the area lakes. New shoots will grow over 8' a year. Evergreen. Doesn't take a lot to get started, just keep it mowed where you want the boundaries to be
                              Bamboo is cane on steriods

Comment

resurrecting this thread

i live off a two lane road that's about to be the detour for a much more trafficked road soon to be under construction, so we want to plant something to act as a privacy screen and sound absorber for road traffic. It'll be about 200 feet in length but i might expand that to fully contain our property, which would be closer to 750 feet. So far i like the idea of bamboo best due to it being fast growing, a source of food, and the canes can be used for fun stuff like making trellises and punishing kids.

I also like the idea of yaupon because, if i remember correctly, it's good for pollinators and it's the only native plant to north america that contains caffeine.

Does anyone around denton county have bamboo that makes shoots good for eatin'? if so, would you be open to selling me some to transplant?

Comment

Working...
                                X