Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2019 Panhandle Hunting Thread (7th Annual!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice deer. Congratulations

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
      Connected with one of my target bucks yesterday evening. Deer moved really good before the front yesterday evening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Great buck, congratulations!

Comment

Awesome buck! Congrats!

Comment

Great buck, congrats!! BIL at the ranch said he had to wear a coat this morning as it was 49 south of Guymon this morning!!!

Comment

Congrats

Comment

Congrats, Aggiehunter!

Top of Texas- no problem on the tracking mention!

Comment

Nice!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Jethro View Post
                  I think you are spot on with those comments.

I know how far I can call a coyote from, some days a long dang ways, other days not too far. But I don't know about rattling a buck. I feel like I need to be fairly close in to one, maybe no further than 500 yards or so. I have no idea if that is correct though. I don't know how far you can rattle a buck from.
                  Distance is time of day dependent. Mornings are best since the deer are still on their feet, and distance greatest, I'd say inside 1/2 mile on open prairie, 1/4 mile in wooded bottoms, with appropriate wind. If rattling in a buck is a goal, then the guy that like to sit and glass until after the sun is up is missing the best opportunity. I've watched bucks bed, then rattled to check their response. Typically at 400 yds, he ain't coming. I've snuck in within 50 yards on numerous bucks, only to have them ignore me, but most will at least stand up once I'm inside 100 yards. If buck is with a doe, can pretty much forget it, which is why I prefer rattling before the rut.

Remember, just because he didn't come see ya doesn't mean he can't hear ya. Doesn't mean you're doing something wrong. It all depends on the bucks mindset and what he's got going on

Comment

Congrats, Aggie! Heck of a deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Heron View Post
                      Other than air temp and cover, I would think wind speed would be the biggest factor affecting calling distance just like coyote calling, at least in my experience.

I should probably add that my situation is.somewhat unique in that I hunt on family property on which I can roam about as I please. I'm not limited to a stand or a smaller area within a leased parcel. Also, the land has caprock on it (83/60 just north of the "Y" as you're approaching Canadian) which offers long calling/shooting (rifle) opportunities.

No running.water on the place, no winter wheat and cover is limited to mesquite, sand plums, skunk brush and broken terrain. Low deer density as compared to a few miles north along the river. Based on photos and driving around, I'd estimate our resident population at less than 2 deer per 100 acres. Buck to doe ratio (in my experience, the biggest factor affecting rattling/calling) is roughly equal depending on what this years fawns end up being.

Also, when rattling I'm usually "running & gunning" covering a lot of ground and limiting my sits to around 20 minutes per location and carrying a rifle in case a monster appears. On a good day, I might get a 25% response rate (1 ibuck response per 4 sets) and those have consistently been bucks 3.5 years or younger. For me, rattling is usually more about scouting and entertainment than getting a buck within bow range.
                      If a guy is wanting to rattle and kill a buck with a bow, the odds will be much improved by hunting with a buddy. Buddy rattles from a concealed position while hunter sits around 50 yards downwind, using a setup where the buck should approach from a known direction and have expected travel lane.

Comment

Originally posted by kry226 View Post
                        Congrats, Aggiehunter!

Top of Texas- no problem on the tracking mention!
                        Cool, kry!

Comment

Man..absolute perfect wind, 54, light drizzle and zero movement. Doesn’t make sense.

Comment

Just outside of post on the salt fork. Lots of decent bucks but they are full nocturnal. Coming in around 3 to 4 am. Havn't seen alot of fawns on the property yet.

Comment

Originally posted by ATXRaider83 View Post
                              Just outside of post on the salt fork. Lots of decent bucks but they are full nocturnal. Coming in around 3 to 4 am. Havn't seen alot of fawns on the property yet.
                              Ever see any pronghorn on y'alls place?

Comment

First time out this season. It sure is a pretty day to be out in the field

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X