Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-12-2019, 04:06 PM   #51
Kdurham
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
In that case, Iím gonna go get me some BDUís

Hahaha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kdurham is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 04:10 PM   #52
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by bowhunter_2 View Post
They definitely do still issue a service number.
In the late 90s and 2000s it was your SSN. Did they starr it up again? Because they definitely stopped it. Nvm. Looked it up they started back up in 2011. Regardless they didnt for almost 30 years or so dont go using it as a test.

Last edited by ∆theling; 03-12-2019 at 04:12 PM.
∆theling is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 06:21 PM   #53
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by ∆theling View Post
In the late 90s and 2000s it was your SSN. Did they starr it up again? Because they definitely stopped it. Nvm. Looked it up they started back up in 2011. Regardless they didnt for almost 30 years or so dont go using it as a test.
Gotcha👍🏼, thanks.
bowhunter_2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 06:34 PM   #54
billythefish
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlanoDano View Post
1. For those who believe no one claims to be a sailor. All Seals are sailors.

2. It has been more than 40 years since service numbers were used.

3. I respect those who served as cooks, it is an important , difficult and underrated job.

4. Not all branches use MOS
It was a joke. Grow a sense of humor.
billythefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #55
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon/Freestone Cos

Quote:
Actually they all definitely don’t still issue a service number. When I was in the Marine Corps we used our SSN for everything. The Corps, Navy, and Army all discontinued service numbers around 1970. The army is the only ones to go back to a DoD number in 2015. I think the Air Force never stopped using them. Google is your friend.
Bullseye07 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 06:45 PM   #56
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

here is something to go over in your head. a man on YouTube by the name of Don Shipley had a channel just for exposing the stolen honor. he went after the fake Marine that banged the drum in front of the kids in Washington. you may have heard the story? well YouTube just dropped Don's channel. told him he was a bully. look into it.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:05 PM   #57
Atfulldraw
Pope & Young

Hunt In: a high fence, southwest of DFW, Colorado

I love to pull records on a poser.

There used to be one on here... mouthing off about being an Army Ranger under a different name, “it’s classified,” serving in Somalia, “it’s classified”.....being a bad***, blah, blah, blah.

He gone now.

Turns out he did basic and then.....nothing.
Atfulldraw is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:24 PM   #58
bryan sandlin
Ten Point

Hunt In: old u.s.m.c. camys

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
If he can't produce his DD214, then look up Don Shipley on the www. He can help ya
just went thru all of the post's. YouTube dropped Don Shipley.
bryan sandlin is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:28 PM   #59
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

My number from 1983 to my retirement in 2014 was my SSN, Air Force/ANG, ingraned in my mind along with my DL#.

Back in early 201X the Govt. sent a note to have our retired ID cards refreshed with a DoD ID number vs. our SSN. I've often wondered how many of my documents/orders etc are floating around with my SSN.

FYI-DD214s don't tell the whole story.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 07:54 PM   #60
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorback01 View Post

FYI-DD214s don't tell the whole story.
Thatís correct. I got a copy of mine about a month ago. All mine shows is my active duty service. Does not show my reserve service, rank or date of discharge, or type of discharge.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #61
clay4626
Ten Point

Hunt In: Roberston Co, Lincoln ranch and johnson ranch

RA 15849334 That's the number I got on Aug 17th 1968 when I entered the army then when I was in about 18 months they started use ssn. If you didn't know your service number and your rifle sn
no pay.
clay4626 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 09:32 PM   #62
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Recently I've been getting asked if I am mil and/or where I served which is getting kinda awkward to me for some reason...not sure what else to say other than "sorry, not serving my country has always been one of my biggest regrets, I'm in your shadow & thanks for all you've done."

Guess I should take it as a compliment but makes me feel strange as it's all happened in the past couple of years & why now when I'm about to hit 50?? Most of it's been casual conversation at the checkpoints with BP & by a few LE who gave me warnings for speeding.

Not sure how insecure you would have to be in other areas of your life if you are going to try & pass your SV onto others that actually stepped up. I can't grasp the thought process.
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 09:50 PM   #63
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmitchl View Post
Thatís correct. I got a copy of mine about a month ago. All mine shows is my active duty service. Does not show my reserve service, rank or date of discharge, or type of discharge.
If you have all that information and orders to prove it you can get an corrected DD214. It might be worth it one day to have it all on one form.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 09:54 PM   #64
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullseye07 View Post
Actually they all definitely donít still issue a service number. When I was in the Marine Corps we used our SSN for everything. The Corps, Navy, and Army all discontinued service numbers around 1970. The army is the only ones to go back to a DoD number in 2015. I think the Air Force never stopped using them. Google is your friend.
Not sure what MC you were in or when but I definitely had a service number when I was in and are currently using them....
Old 03-12-2019, 09:58 PM   #65
sailor
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Thank you for your service!

You aren't by chance kin to Pocahontas are you?
OMG ! I sure hope not....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdurham View Post
Were you on it during Beirut?

No, I got out in 74..

sailor is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:13 PM   #66
Merc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Vanderpool/Alaska...

All these guys asking to see his DD214, I for one don't just go showing that to anyone anywhere just because they question my service. Too much personal information on the **** thing.

I'm my opinion, unless the person is using it on a business, or to get some sort of assistance, then it's not worth your time or effort. And I had one of those short careers a lot of y'all would question to include the *classified* work in Afghanistan.

Sent from somewhere
Merc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:19 PM   #67
Artos
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Deep South TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
All these guys asking to see his DD214, I for one don't just go showing that to anyone anywhere just because they question my service. Too much personal information on the **** thing.

I'm my opinion, unless the person is using it on a business, or to get some sort of assistance, then it's not worth your time or effort. And I had one of those short careers a lot of y'all would question to include the *classified* work in Afghanistan.

Sent from somewhere
So can I see your DD214...

Love your avatar!!
Artos is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:25 PM   #68
Merc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artos View Post
So can I see your DD214...

Love your avatar!!
That's a negative ghost rider!!

Sent from somewhere
Old 03-12-2019, 10:28 PM   #69
Johnny44
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kdurham View Post
Yeah 10% isnít much. Now the 50% off at Popeyes makes sense. Lol

I hope like heck this is true, I see some clogged arteries in my future !!!!
Johnny44 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-12-2019, 10:29 PM   #70
Kdurham
Ten Point

Default Stolen Valor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny44 View Post
I hope like heck this is true, I see some clogged arteries in my future !!!!

At least the one over here. Iíve stopped in a couple times on my way home from drill.

Last edited by Kdurham; 03-12-2019 at 10:31 PM.
Old 03-13-2019, 07:46 AM   #71
Clay C
Ten Point

Are they scamming someone or otherwise using it to gain something? Wouldn't concern myself with it otherwise.
Clay C is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 07:56 AM   #72
ultrastealth
Ten Point

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

The one's who crack me up are the overweight 60+ year olds in a uniform that fits trying to get seat upgrades on airlines.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:37 AM   #73
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
Gotcha👍🏼, thanks.
Good thing they are trying to get rid of SSN. I have received no less than 5 letters between the DoD, VA and various Fed LE agencies re hacks over the years and that my social had been compromised. Good news is I have free identity protection for the rest of my life. Bad news is I have had probably 8 instances of identity theft. Nothing major but extremely frustrating to resolve.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:08 PM   #74
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Quote:
Not sure what MC you were in or when but I definitely had a service number when I was in and are currently using them....
I served in the one and only USMC. We absolutely did not have service numbers as other people have also attested to here. Things change all the time. I didnít wear tricolors or have black boots. Does that mean I didnít serve?

All Iím getting at is saying someone didnít serve because they donít have a service number is spreading misinformation. If someone tried that crap with me, weíd discuss it outside.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #75
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
I served in the one and only USMC. We absolutely did not have service numbers as other people have also attested to here. Things change all the time. I didnít wear tricolors or have black boots. Does that mean I didnít serve?

All Iím getting at is saying someone didnít serve because they donít have a service number is spreading misinformation. If someone tried that crap with me, weíd discuss it outside.
No but I was always curious as to what they replaced the 2 weeks of Basic/Boot
that was spent shining boots with? More waxing floors or something more outdoorsy like picking weeds out of the rocks. 😂
Old 03-13-2019, 08:43 PM   #76
J.B.
Ten Point

Hey guys, I'm the OP. Person in question wears a Veteran hat (like one you can buy at gas station) and has airborne tats on both arms. We got to talking about concealed carry and I asked him what sidearm he carried in the service and he said he never carried a sidearm....because "only sergeants did" "cause we were in tanks". That stuck me as odd....I thought most combat soldiers had sidearms and why is an airborne dude in a tank (I have not been in the armed services...so forgive me if I'm off base on my assessments) so I got to questioning a few other things he said. So I was trying to figure out if there was a database somewhere I could check.
J.B. is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 08:55 PM   #77
∆theling
Pope & Young

OP. Navigate this with a Vet you know. If he is even 10 percent legit and gets called out by a civi it could get real ugly. Most non vets would still have his back against you. He is most likely former service over exaggerating his standing in the world. But he probably is a vet. I wouldn’t call him out honestly.
Old 03-13-2019, 08:58 PM   #78
billythefish
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.B. View Post
Hey guys, I'm the OP. Person in question wears a Veteran hat (like one you can buy at gas station) and has airborne tats on both arms. We got to talking about concealed carry and I asked him what sidearm he carried in the service and he said he never carried a sidearm....because "only sergeants did"
It is true that a sidearm is only used by certain soldiers in certain roles. Sometimes it is only medics/sergeants/officers/guard duties. It also depends on commanding officers- some may strive to get as many or their men pistols as possible and others see it as a waste of time.

My point is...the fact that he didn't carry a sidearm doesn't prove he wasn't in the military. If he didn't even know what sidearm was standard issue to the Army when he was serving though then yea that would be strange.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:03 PM   #79
J.B.
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by billythefish View Post
It is true that a sidearm is only used by certain soldiers in certain roles. Sometimes it is only medics/sergeants/officers/guard duties. It also depends on commanding officers- some may strive to get as many or their men pistols as possible and others see it as a waste of time.

My point is...the fact that he didn't carry a sidearm doesn't prove he wasn't in the military. If he didn't even know what sidearm was standard issue to the Army when he was serving though then yea that would be strange.
what about the airborne/tank deal? really just curious for my own edification
Old 03-13-2019, 09:04 PM   #80
J.B.
Ten Point

Quote:
OP. Navigate this with a Vet you know. If he is even 10 percent legit and gets called out by a civi it could get real ugly. Most non vets would still have his back against you. He is most likely former service over exaggerating his standing in the world. But he probably is a vet. I wouldnít call him out honestly.
wasn't planing on calling him out....just trying to get a gauge on the BS meter
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #81
∆theling
Pope & Young

Quote:
wasn't planing on calling him out....just trying to get a gauge on the BS meter
It sounds very high. Only he could prove it with his DD214. You will have to ask him for it though. I donít believe they sre public record.
Old 03-13-2019, 09:06 PM   #82
billythefish
Four Point

Quote:
i have no idea about how one can be in an airborne unit and a tank...I was in the british military...BUT.... the tank reason is weird since armored unit guys in the UK are MORE likely to be issued a pistol and a short barreled rifle due to...being in a tank lol.
Old 03-13-2019, 10:07 PM   #83
tonyt79
Ten Point

Hunt In: All over
Default Stolen Valor?

Airborne is really just a school in most cases. Lots of people go to airborne and never jump again after that. He could have just got a school slot based off a bunch of different scenarios. I havenít talked to very many tankers but the ones I have had sidearms as a primary weapon. In units I was in only squad leaders carried a side arm and sometimes vehicle gunners would carry one or a shotgun. They seemed to help with traffic/crowd control better than larger weapons.

Last edited by tonyt79; 03-13-2019 at 10:10 PM.
tonyt79 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 10:26 PM   #84
Merc
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyt79 View Post
Airborne is really just a school in most cases. Lots of people go to airborne and never jump again after that. He could have just got a school slot based off a bunch of different scenarios.

Yep, airborne is just a school anyone can go to and they keep a lot of class slots set aside as incentives for performance/ reenlistments.

I wouldn't worry too much about the sidearm, different times had different requirements.

Sent from somewhere
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #85
Dave

Quote:
First unit I got to, a cavalry unit mostly full of tankers and scouts, had an old operations master sergeant who had his jump wings with a mustard stain, meaning he had made a combat jump, and his combat infantryman's badge, CIB, with star meaning he had been awarded the CIB in two conflicts.

Turns out he was a tanker who dropped into Panama with the 82nd. They still had the Sheratan, a small air drop tank, but didn't take them. So they assigned all the crews to the HQ companies of the other units and sent them. When they got rid of the Sheratan he wanted to stay with the 82nd so he converted to infantry. He got his first CIB in Desert Storm and his second in Iraq.

As far as sidearms go, it's hard to tell. That is determined by the MTOE for the unit type but those change and depending on when he was in and what unit he was with could be very different from today.
Dave is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-13-2019, 10:34 PM   #86
Kdurham
Ten Point

This can go two ways...
You can call him out and youíre right or you can call him on it and youíre wrong. Either way, itís a big risk.

Old 03-13-2019, 10:35 PM   #87
billythefish
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
First unit I got to, a cavalry unit mostly full of tankers and scouts, had an old operations master sergeant who had his jump wings with a mustard stain, meaning he had made a combat jump, and his combat infantryman's badge, CIB, with star meaning he had been awarded the CIB in two conflicts.

Turns out he was a tanker who dropped into Panama with the 82nd. They still had the Sheratan, a small air drop tank, but didn't take them. So they assigned all the crews to the HQ companies of the other units and sent them. When they got rid of the Sheratan he wanted to stay with the 82nd so he converted to infantry. He got his first CIB in Desert Storm and his second in Iraq.

As far as sidearms go, it's hard to tell. That is determined by the MTOE for the unit type but those change and depending on when he was in and what unit he was with could be very different from today.
wasn't a guy named 'godfrey' was it? i have a friend with that exact military history
Old 03-14-2019, 08:14 AM   #88
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Quote:

Calm down buddy, this ainít that serious...I didnít wear tricolors or black boots either. I got out October 2017, and Iím 26 years old if thatís a sign. Look on the back of your ID card. There is a DOD ID number. Mine was 1457660428, this is different from your benifits number on the back of your ID card also. We too used our social for everything but weíre still assigned a service number.

Also, I never said you or anyone else didnít serve...period. Take a breather, itís all going to be okay, I promise!
Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 AM   #89
bowhunter_2
Eight Point

Quote:
No but I was always curious as to what they replaced the 2 weeks of Basic/Boot
that was spent shining boots with? More waxing floors or something more outdoorsy like picking weeds out of the rocks. 😂
Lmao, Iím not an ďold corpsĒ guy but this is still funny.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:34 AM   #90
DuramaxDude
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tom Green Co., Motley Co., Oldham Co., and any other place I get a chance to.

You can creep their name on google and see if any past addresses are the addresses of a military base.
DuramaxDude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #91
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NC,TX, and anywhere else I can

Quote:
Calm down buddy, this ain’t that serious...I didn’t wear tricolors or black boots either. I got out October 2017, and I’m 26 years old if that’s a sign. Look on the back of your ID card. There is a DOD ID number. Mine was 1457660428, this is different from your benifits number on the back of your ID card also. We too used our social for everything but we’re still assigned a service number.

Also, I never said you or anyone else didn’t serve...period. Take a breather, it’s all going to be okay, I promise!
That is not a service number, I had one of them as a civilian employee of the Navy.

What is a DoD ID?

The DoD ID is assigned to each person registered in the Defense Enrollment and Eligibility Reporting System (DEERS). This includes government civilians, active duty military, dependents, reservists, retirees and contractors.

How to Find Your DoD ID Number - Department of Navy Chief ...

www.doncio.navy.mil/ContentView.aspx?id=3792

I still remember my service number issued to me by the Air Force August 9, 1965. AF14922185

Last edited by Phillip Fields; 03-14-2019 at 08:38 AM.
Phillip Fields is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:47 AM   #92
Bullseye07
Ten Point

Quote:
Calm down buddy, this ainít that serious...I didnít wear tricolors or black boots either. I got out October 2017, and Iím 26 years old if thatís a sign. Look on the back of your ID card. There is a DOD ID number. Mine was 1457660428, this is different from your benifits number on the back of your ID card also. We too used our social for everything but weíre still assigned a service number.

Also, I never said you or anyone else didnít serve...period. Take a breather, itís all going to be okay, I promise!
Youíve got me all wrong. Iím not wound up at all, just trying to prove a point. The point is, if someone is going to accuse someone of stolen valor they better be dang certain they can prove it. Otherwise they might embarrass themselves when somebody puts some MCMAP moves on them.

Also, the DoD number isnít a service number like older generations had. They used that number for everything, just like we did with our SSN. Thatís why they know theirs by heart. I donít have a clue what my DoD number on my CaC card was without digging up my old ID.
Old 03-14-2019, 08:49 AM   #93
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Votaw, Hardin/Polk Co., TX. Bon Weir, Newton Co., El Dorado, Schleicher Co., TX.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan sandlin View Post
just went thru all of the post's. YouTube dropped Don Shipley.

I never mentioned YouTube. I said look him up on the www.

You're right though. YouTube dropped him a few years back. He has his own website now.

http://www.extremesealexperience.com...s-Extreme-Seal

He can probably be reached right here^^^^
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 08:51 AM   #94
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Quote:
Youíve got me all wrong. Iím not wound up at all, just trying to prove a point. The point is, if someone is going to accuse someone of stolen valor they better be dang certain they can prove it. Otherwise they might embarrass themselves when somebody puts some MCMAP moves on them.

Also, the DoD number isnít a service number like older generations had. They used that number for everything, just like we did with our SSN. Thatís why they know theirs by heart. I donít have a clue what my DoD number on my CaC card was without digging up my old ID.
See Post#91
Old 03-14-2019, 08:52 AM   #95
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post

You are correct sir. I was in the 82nd Airborne Div in 77-80 and 83-84. !/505th and 1/508th (ABN) INF. In the 70's they had the Sheridan Light Tanks. It was cool to watch them heavy drop those things out of planes. They always dropped them first so they didn't land on anybody.
kevin nicholls is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:19 AM   #96
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
There were less than 300 Navy Seals that served in Vietnam. I've met all 5000 of them.
Jesse Ventura is one of those jerks.

Dad was always the boat's designated frogman and ship's gunner on his sub patrols during WWII. He was the strongest swimmer and retrieved the sea turtles they shot while recharging the sub's batteries at night. He became the sub's gunner because he got tired of swimming against the current to recover the turtles, good source of fresh meat for the crew.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:32 AM   #97
Mr. Whiskers
Pope & Young

Hunt In: South Texas

I don’t ever recall having a DOD ID number. We used SSN for everything from 90-94 USMC
Mr. Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 10:42 AM   #98
Phillip Fields
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Whiskers View Post
I donít ever recall having a DOD ID number. We used SSN for everything from 90-94 USMC
The DoD ID program started in 2008.
Old 03-14-2019, 10:49 AM   #99
Thumper
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chew View Post
There were less than 300 Navy Seals that served in Vietnam. I've met all 5000 of them.
Jesse Ventura is one of those jerks.

Dad was always the boat's designated frogman and ship's gunner on his sub patrols during WWII. He was the strongest swimmer and retrieved the sea turtles they shot while recharging the sub's batteries at night. He became the sub's gunner because he got tired of swimming against the current to recover the turtles, good source of fresh meat for the crew.
Thumper is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2019, 11:06 AM   #100
Rakkasan2187
Ten Point

Quote:
my service number was my ss#
Rakkasan2187 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top