Hypothetical question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hypothetical question

What kind of rig would it take to bring down a full grown Buffalo ( North American)

Would one need some special kind of setup? What poundage would be recommended ?

My buddy and I each took cow bison (about 900 lbs each), I used a 57lb @ 28" Massie Longbow. My buddy used a 54lb @28 Black Widow recurve. We both draw right at 28".

Comment

Originally posted by Phillip Fields View Post
      My buddy and I each took cow bison (about 900 lbs each), I used a 57lb @ 28" Massie Longbow. My buddy used a 54lb @28 Black Widow recurve. We both draw right at 28".
      What arrow setup ?

Comment

In Dances With Wolves they were probably pulling 40 lbs and they dropped in their tracks.

Comment

Arrow Dynamics Trads tipped with 2 blade, 160 grain Magnus broadheads for a total arrow weight of 620 grains.
          My buddy used Grizzlystics tipped with a 2 blade,125gr Magnus Stinger for a total arrow weight of 600 grains.

Comment

Hypothetical question

I went on a bison hunt in 2020. There were 4 of us in the group. I was having accuracy issues with my stickbows at the time, so I opted to take a 55# compound. The other 3 guys were all using stickbows. All four of us got bulls. One guy was shooting right at 50#, another 52#, and the third was closer to 60#. The guy shooting the 52# recurve got a complete passrhru and a dead bull in about 40yds!!!

You don’t need anything special to kill a bison. You do need a great tune and accuracy!!!!

As far as arrows go, all of us shot fairly heavy arrows, probably in the 10-12gpp range. We all used cut on contact broadheads (I used German Kinetic, and I’m pretty sure one of the other guys was using Iron Will. Not sure in the other 2 guys heads?).

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
            Last edited by Bisch; 01-09-2022, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
              I went on a bison hunt in 2020. There were 4 of us in the group. I was having accuracy issues with my stickbows at the time, so I opted to take a 55# compound. The other 3 guys were all using stickbows. All four of us got bulls. One guy was shooting right at 50#, another 52#, and the third was closer to 60#. The guy shooting the 52# recurve got a complete passrhru and a dead bull in about 40yds!!!

You don’t need anything special to kill a bison. You do need a great tune and accuracy!!!!

As far as arrows go, all of us shot fairly heavy arrows, probably in the 10-12gpp range. We all used cut on contact broadheads (I used German Kinetic, and I’m pretty sure one of the other guys was using Iron Will. Not sure in the other 2 guys heads?).

Bisch

My current compound set up is a 430 grain arrow overall weight @ 290 fps. I would probably bump to a single bevel two blade 125 grain. That said, I’m not 100% the compound is a option due to my shoulder but I could get back on the prednisone to make do for a few shots. I could drop the weight ( but who knows how much? ) and get a new setup but this shoots so good I am hesitant to mess with it.

The Kodiak is 52-53# and shooting a 553 grain arrow. My question with that is could I accurately pull off a shot? Offhand guess I would venture I would be good to 30 yards. With the compound a 50 yard shot is pretty easy and I’m comfortable to 80 as it’s set up.

Third option is use a .375 H&H

What was the range you shot it at? Ranch rules state I have to be backed up by a rifle
              Last edited by txtrophy85; 01-09-2022, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                In Dances With Wolves they were probably pulling 40 lbs and they dropped in their tracks.
                And Costner dropped that big ole bull with a .44 rimfire (that you could probably catch in your hand) at 400 yards.

Comment

Hell we drop steers with anything from a 9mm round to a .410 slug. 30-30 has dropped a bunch of em.
                  I'd shoot one all day long with my set up.
                  Sharp broadhead in the right spot, everything dies.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by DRT View Post
                    Hell we drop steers with anything from a 9mm round to a .410 slug. 30-30 has dropped a bunch of em.
                    I'd shoot one all day long with my set up.
                    Sharp broadhead in the right spot, everything dies.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
                    I shot a full grown Angus Cow ( I'm guessing 1000 lbs +/- ) at 30 yards right between the eyes with a 30 grain hollowpoint from a .22LR.

Her arse hit the ground about a half second before her head did and she never even twitched.

However, I would not want to replicate it.

I've been around plenty of buffalo but I've never really thought much about what it takes to kill one archery equipment wise. Asking folks using rifles on them they shoot them all the time in the heart/lungs with great success using .308's and .300 mags. I would have guessed a .338 would have been on the light side.

I'm guessing my current set ups compound or recurve wise are adaquate based on ya'lls responses. Only thing I'll change is the broadhead.

Comment

I would think just about anything. I’d just shoot what you hunt deer with and I think that would be sufficient.

Comment

Originally posted by txtrophy85 View Post
                        My current compound set up is a 430 grain arrow overall weight @ 290 fps. I would probably bump to a single bevel two blade 125 grain. That said, I’m not 100% the compound is a option due to my shoulder but I could get back on the prednisone to make do for a few shots. I could drop the weight ( but who knows how much? ) and get a new setup but this shoots so good I am hesitant to mess with it.

The Kodiak is 52-53# and shooting a 553 grain arrow. My question with that is could I accurately pull off a shot? Offhand guess I would venture I would be good to 30 yards. With the compound a 50 yard shot is pretty easy and I’m comfortable to 80 as it’s set up.

Third option is use a .375 H&H

What was the range you shot it at? Ranch rules state I have to be backed up by a rifle

We stalked ours, and the longest shot was probably 25yds. Mine was exactly 20yds. We hunted in pairs, and that was for a reason. The bulls act like turkey gobblers when one gets shot. The other bulls immediately go to jack with the shot one. In both out cases, the second hunter got a shot on a bull that was going to mess with the first one that got shot.

Bisch

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
                          Those “Dances” buffalo were smaller and thinner skinned than the modern bison of our time. Oh, and they were also in a movie.

Comment

Working...
                          X