Night time Rabbit Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Night time Rabbit Hunting

Anyone still do this? When I was a kid my older brother and our dad used to do it a lot. I was too young to tag along and when I got older they stopped going for whatever reason. Was remembering how tasty those things were!

I did it and it was great fun and you are right, they are tasty little critters!! I used to hunt squirrels out in the hardwoods also. Not sure anyone does it or maybe we just only hear about the "big game" hunting.

Comment

My kids love it!

Comment

Back in west Texas, me and my HS buddies would night hunt cotton tails with out bird guns. Great memories in Tom Green county in the early 90s.

Last night cotton tail I got was this past winter on my property by the house with my recurve. Still tons of fun.

Comment

We had a lot of fun chasing jackrabbits in the truck in the coastal fields when I was a kid. That’s the main reason every 10-year-old wanted a 22 rifle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I love rabbit hunting with a 1 eyed dog.. my dad would carry me when I was still in diapers rabbit hunting with him and my uncle. My grand maw use to tell a story about how she would hold me while they were cleaning rabbits.. I'd start gagging but if she tried to carry me in the house I'd start crying.. I try to make a few hunts after deer season every year..

Comment

I lost a couple of teeth chasing jackrabbits in a 53 ford across a pasture in Industry Tx hanging out the passenger window with a 10ga single shot. We had a blast !!!

Comment

Grew up in MS and it was illegal to hunt them at night 40 yrs ago as a teen, but we all had our head lamps. REmember seeing a light coming toward us way out in the pastures. Knew it was not supposed to be there, turn our lights around on our head and run the the other way!!!

Comment

We had 800 acres to do this on as a kid. We just called my 2 aunts and told them we were hunting if they saw lights and heard shots. Now there are about 12 different cousins who live out there. Even to just hunt our 200 acre portion of the place at night would require calling 7 people and we no longer have access to the other 600 acres. Plus, a lot more concern about the direction you shine lights and fling .22 rounds. Different environment is why we stopped, but i did have a ton of great memories from doing it as a kid!!

Comment

We went in an orchard and a plant nursery outside of Stephenville. Shotguns and the one-eyed dog in the back of a truck back in the 70`s. We would get up to 20 some nights.

Comment

I’m gonna give it a try this year once deer season is completely over. Have several open areas on my lease I’ll walk one night. Hopefully on a cold
                      Night.

Comment

My brother and I would ride in the back of our stepdads truck. We'd spot light em in the cemetery and shoot em with a 22. We still laugh about all the good times we had.

Comment

Some great memories doing that. We just don't have a lot of rabbits anymore.

Comment

We used to shoot literally hundreds of them a night at times in west Texas. The good days!

Comment

Hunted them when I was a kid at my parents place in Tarkington. I would walk the fence rows around the property with a .410 sxs, a halogen headlamp with the wide strap and one of those big old batteries with spring terminals on top stuffed in a coat pocket. My aunt would slow cook ‘em in a brown gravy until they were falling off the bone and serve it on top of fresh homemade biscuits.

Comment

Working...
                              X