Drilling tile?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Drilling tile?

Need some 5/16 holes in a shower wall to mount a curtain rod. Got a carbide tip masonry bit and a cordless drill. Seems to not be working well.

Tips? Speed slow or fast? Dry, oil, water for lube?

I can drill metal all day long… this is ridiculous lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In for answers. Tile has defeated a many a drill bits

Comment

Did you use a regular drill or a rotor hammer drill?

Comment

Boush makes a tile and glass bit. Take an awl and tap it lightly to crack the glaze the keep bit wet with a sponge

Comment

They will be diamond coated bits!

Comment

if yoi start the diamond coated tile bit on its edge till it bitesthen rotate the bit straight and drill ...they work best that way

Comment

Lowes Has them too. Regular drill bits won’t work. And if you get aggressive with these you will only get 2-3 holes in porcelain. Keep em cool
              Attached Files

Comment

A hammer drill and a good diamond bit should do the job. Keep the bit wet and cool.

Comment

Gotta keep it cold. It’s similar to drilling metals - slow down and don’t ruin expensive bits heating them

Comment

I use an old water bottle filled with water and a small hole in the top. As I drill I will squeeze the bottle and wet the drill bit tip as I drill. I drill fast not low speed. Use the bit as mentioned above. I think they are $15-20 each.

Comment

all good answers, nothing to add. Merry Christmas to all.

Comment

I bought some diamond tipped hole saws on Amazon. Came with a suction cup jig to hold straight. Used a regular drill, as a hammer drill can crack tile. Worked perfect, kept a flow of water while drilling

Comment

Easy on the pressure . Practice on a few quart jars

Comment

I drill a small pilot hole first then go to the larger hole I need. You have to get through the hard glaze before you can make progress. A hammer drill works best.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

The best way is to go to Lowe’s get the Cobalt press Diamond bit cuts through it with ease . They are like 10 dollars.

Comment

Working...
                              X